Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2015 :  5:51:08 PM  Show Profile
Betty - I agree...it is hard when the heart is involved, but it sounds like you are listening to your brain, too.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2015 :  8:54:32 PM  Show Profile
My advice, Betty, is to keep him as a friend and let his daughters take care of him. I believe you do not want that job. Maybe you should start making plans for someone to take care of you when you need it. I am hoping Lowell will step up while I recover. If he doesn't, I have plans for that.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Marie, I think that is excellent advice.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Marie, that's exactly what I have been thinking. Good advice. Now to keep the mother at bay!
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  10:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Just checked the stats on Sock Sniper. Of the 134 original combatants, only 29 of us still alive. Wow! I have never finished this high in the standings before. Most of it is dumb luck, but I'll take it!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  11:36:07 AM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 3:49:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  12:04:23 PM  Show Profile
G -- I appreciate the support. And yes, every evening when we drive in and check the mailbox, I don't know whether to be happy or let down that there aren't new sox in there for me! In one way I would love to continue as long as possible in the contest, but if I have to complete this next pair of sox that's headed my way, I ALSO have to mail them to Finland, which would run into some cash.

Now watch -- tonight I will be dead and not have to agonize. And I was wondering that about Betty's "mother" comment, as well. Mine is still reminding me that I "had" to get married at 16......like every time I see her.....for the past 43 years.........sigh. I kind of doubt it's going to be a problem going forward, you know?

It has been quiet quiet here today -- so much rain and that usually keeps people from coming in. I have taken a fair few payments, though, and the Dude bought a car from a guy who called this morning and was trying to unload it. Still no sign of his lost keys -- I am beginning to lose hope and think that he dropped them somewhere and we'll never find them. I am getting lots of work done on the end-of-month, so that's feeling pretty good.

What I would really like to do is go home and have a glass of wine. I decided a while back that I was drinking too much, and I thought I would give it a break. So September 7 was my first alcohol-free day. The only time I really miss it is when we first get home and are putting dinner together. If I don't drink anything until dinnertime, then I am not tempted to have any after that, but there are days when I would really really like to have a glass. Maybe that means I really really shouldn't -- ha ha. Anyway, my goal was to not drink alcohol until at least December 7 -- give my body 3 months to adjust. I guess it will be tonic water and lime again tonight.

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  1:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, the mother comment was meant that a nurturing instinct kicks in. Right that I have to take care of myself first before I can take care of anyone else.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  1:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy, Betty -- have you got THAT right!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  1:35:04 PM  Show Profile
See, it was easier than we thought!

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  2:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yes, it's that mother's instinct to nurture that comes into play. Where was this advice when I needed it -- don't start paying for things, either. Because then it will be expected of you.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  2:52:23 PM  Show Profile
We've compared notes on income and it's about equal. I'm not stupid enough this time to make that mistake again. Nor will I allow him to spend on me. No guilt tripping allowed! Trying to keep this as equal as possible.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  3:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, sending good thoughts that you are still alive and sniper free!!!
Do you drink tea. Maybe if you do, you could replace your wine with a nice cup of tea instead.

I'm having a terrible day emotionally. Not sure what is going on, but I didn't sleep, had terrible dreams and could kill anyone that gets in my way. PMS anyone?

So, I took my truck into a shop that was recommended. I told them on the phone it was something draining my battery. "Electrical...right"? I took it in and told it to their face exactly what was wrong. I even told them where to start looking. So the guy calls me today and said my alternator is charging itermittally and he wanted to replace it. I told him that the alternator typically would not drain the battery if the truck was not running. He agreed. So when I asked if he had used the voltage meter to test the fuses, he said he didn't and then said he didn't do electrical stuff. It takes too long and he doesn't have time. Can I say WTF!! Here. If you don't know what that means...just let it pass you by. It is a bad word.
So, I bought a voltage meter and when I can get my truck back home, I will test the fuses and at least fine the line that is causing trouble. I found out from the guy at the auto parts store some one else to try.
By the way the auto shop I went to is new. They had a sign that said "no job too big". I told them they needed to change their sign. I said " you didn't even try" and walked out.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  6:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

YOu are right Bunny. They didn't even try. Did he think you were an idiot and wouldn't notice if he fixed the wrong thing and just pay him anyway. Isn't there some list on line named after a woman where you can write comments on the service you receive at a shop? I think this would be a good time to use that list. How arrogant! I am glad you told him to change the sign.

Marilyn the more I hear about your mother the more I think she is a real piece of work. Did she have children because she did not have birth control?

We finished the rest of the chickens today. They are all in the freezer. We did the neighbor's turkeys and ducks as well. I am very tired and so is C. Shower and bed soon. I am glad it is over for the season. I think 4 roosters survived the knife. As long as they do not fly any of the children they can live.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  7:26:40 PM  Show Profile

Edited by - doll58maker on Sep 19 2019 3:50:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  7:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried Lady Grey tea? It is nice--but our go to is always Earl Grey.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Gypsy - Is that bok choy? If it is, that is a Chinese cabbage. Very tasty and easy to cook.

The tea I like is white peony. Drink some herbal tea of passion flower and chamomile to release tension. I really like licorice mint also.

Have a good night everyone.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh... Earl Grey. My favorite. I'm drinking it right now.

Funny thing about the repair shop. When I went off on the guy about his sign.. he had this deer in the headlights look. Lights were on but no one was home.

Yes, yelp is good. But there is also a local facebook group I can post to also. Hits a little closer to home.
I went on Youtube and found a ton of videos teaching me how to find the draw on my battery. I just need to find a wiring schematic for the repair guy. They are pretty complicated to figure out. So I'm hoping if I can get it through his head, I have done part of the time consuming part. He will do the rest. (not the same shop though). I have a suggestion for a different place to go after I figure this out.

Gypsy, I love that your growing season is just starting. It is pretty much all over here. It will start getting colder. I'm really hoping it doesn't get as cold as last year. Almost hit single digits. My poor truck cries big time below 35 degrees.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  06:08:55 AM  Show Profile
Holly -- Boy did you read my mother right! All she really wanted was to be with my dad, and the kids were sort of "collateral damage," as it were. She told me one time that she and Daddy were the most important part of the family, and that us kids came along from that. We would be leaving eventually (not soon enough to suit her, no doubt), but that she and Daddy would always be there. Made me feel special, I can tell you. When I was almost 9, they had my baby brother. I knew he was an "accident," but she made him feel like a "mistake." When I had my daughter, my mother was preachifying about how she was not going to babysit (no problem, believe me!) and that she was "done raising kids." My little brother was about 9 at the time and just stood there looking confused -- like -- hey! I'm your kid!!! I ended up doing a lot of the heavy-lifting with him and for years he used to call me on Mother's Day and I would remind him to call her, too. Anyway, now she wonders while we don't all break our necks making a point of going to see her. I don't think she was as hard on the boys, but I was the only girl and it was different, I guess. I think she didn't mind us being babies -- she liked babies -- but she had no desire to raise children. Sad. We are all actually kind of cool people, but she will never know that.

I enjoy a good English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast tea. Yorkshire Gold -- mmmm!

Farmgirl #6318
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  07:01:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Marie, I'm hoping that it is a type Bok Choy. I've eaten it at Chinese and Thai restaurants but never cooked it. We bought the plants from the center here and we just picked from what they had-- there is another plant that I'm not familiar with, think it is some type of cross between cauliflower and broccoli. I was reading their book last night and I can plant radishes now, too. We can't do any hot weather plants now but there are so many cold weather veggies we can do through the winter, then clean up the beds, revitalize them and plant a spring garden. Then in summer we can still do hot weather plants like okra, tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, right through the hottest weather. So definitely we can do year round gardening here.

Off I go to start my day. Going to Costco and to do a little shopping on my own. Have a great day, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  07:13:28 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, you posted at the same time. So many people should never have had children. But here we are, they gave us life, and we can overcome. It's a daily job, though, isn't it.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  08:03:43 AM  Show Profile
G -- It has gotten easier as I've gotten older, though. I think time and distance from my mother have helped a lot. So complicated.

Bunny -- I hope you are feeling better today. Knowing you are in a bad mood helps a little, but it doesn't make the mood or the feelings go away, does it? And those herky-jerks at the auto place -- Oh how I would love to have been there when you told old stupid to change his sign!!! Years ago a coworker told me that she had noticed I had a taillight out when she was behind me going home the evening before. I took the little Rabbit into the VW garage in town and dropped it off. They called me at work and said it needed $1600 worth of stuff -- new brakes, replace this, replace that...on and on. I said, "Well, I will have my boyfriend come talk to you about it." The guy immediately pared the estimate down by about half "It doesn't really need this or that or whatever." I called my boyfriend, all right -- we drove right down there and got my car and yanked it out of that place. Took it to the corner service station and the guy replaced a FUSE which fixed the issue. Old ideas sure do die hard.

It is rainy again. We ran the furnace last night and it felt GOOD! Not as good as sleeping in tomorrow is going to feel - ha ha ha! I am one of only 26 snipers left of the original 134. Now we are more than ever at the mercy of the postal gods.

Just in -- my sox in progress have left Ontario, Canada on their way to me. Canadian mail can be tricky, but now I know they've been mailed. I would love to get them, get them finished and sent off for another kill in Finland before I bite the dust.

Farmgirl #6318

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Oct 02 2015 08:35:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  09:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, my sister and I were always "the girls" to my mother. She rarely referred to us by name when taking about us by name. I can remember many nights where we were served hot dogs, green beans and Mac and cheese while she and my dad ate steak, bake potatoes and a big salad.
The hot dogs and Mac and cheese are now a big joke with my kids. We always had it on Christmas Eve in remembrance.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We do work for our food. I want to eat well but I also want the children to know how their food appears at their plates. So many children do not. DdK has decided she is a vegetarian but she was out there helping to cut and package the birds. The teen boys are weenies and do not come out. The littles help when they are home. I would like to be better at the garden.

Ds R is in the shower serenading us at near the top of his lungs.

Wimpy day today. It was in the forties and I stayed in side and puttered around.

I am glad to hear the sniper report each day. I hope you make it to the single digits that would be so cool.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I think it is a gift that your kids are able to learn so much about being as self sufficient as possible. I think everyone would eat better if they were able to raise their own food. Glad you had a day to putter. You work way too hard.

I sewed most of the day. I'm hoping to have a sale tomorrow. I had a conversation back and forth with a lady interested in one of my dresses. She just had to get a tape measure and check her measurements.

I got most of a dress done today but needed to stop. It needs something but I have been looking at it too long and need to start again tomorrow. People have no idea how much work mental and physical it takes to create stuff. It is similar in style to the fall top I posted a few days ago. More reconstruction and I had to reduce a very large knit shirt to fit.

It is very windy today. I hear the garbage can rolling around outside. I have to get the bungee cord and secure it before it ends up in the road.

later all!!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic