True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  4:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I took y oldest to the neurologist a few weeks ago. We were talking about losing our minds. Her mother died of complications from dementia and so did my father. She gave me this list from the "Harvard Mental Health Newsletter" of April 2012.

It has seven normal memory problems listed and described. I thought I would type in one at a time and we could read them and discuss what we think and whether each provides some sort of relief from the worry of losing our minds.

1. Transitions
This is the tendency to forget facts or events over time. You are most likely to forget information soon after you learn it. However, memory has a use it or lose it quality: memories that are called up and used frequently are least likely to be forgotten. Although transience might seem like a sign of memory weakness, brain scientists regard it as beneficial because it clears the brain of unused memories, making way for newer, more useful ones.

So, I tell people my mind is like a sieve and the holes are getting bigger over time. I guess that is a good thing. I am glad the children can remember things I seem to have forgotten so I can smile when they bring up the memory. They do have some good ones.

What do each of you think?

Sweet dreams,
I also heard part of a TED talk today about people needing sleep to wash out the toxins in the brain. I guess that is another times discussion.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  8:03:45 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:07:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  3:09:40 PM  Show Profile
g

g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:05:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2016 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

Cindy I took no offense. I was glad you piped in your two sense. I did not even find it off topic.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  3:27:39 PM  Show Profile
I have had ECT (shock treatments). I have experienced the loss of memories from this. I will describe it like this: The memories are behind curtains. I see glimpses of them but cannot identify were they are in place and time. I need a person to mention a place or time which lifts the curtain a bit to let me place the memory. When I do, the whole curtain comes down from that memory and I can remember it and several other memories related to it. I have had this happen to me and it is fascinating.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  5:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I guess I was hoping to spur conversations by listing the ways we are not losing our minds as we age. So, here are the rest of the normal memory problems.

2. Absentmindedness
This type of forgetting occurs when you don't pay close enough attention. YOu forget where you just put your pen because you didn'tfocus on where you put it in the first place. You were thinking of something else (or,perhaps, nothing in particular), so your brain didn't encodethe information securely. Absentmindedness also involves forgetting to do something at a prescribed time, like taking your medicine or keeping an appointment.

3. Blocking
Someone asks you a question and the answer is right on the tip of your tongue---you know that you know it, but you just can't think of it. This is perhaps the most familiar example of blocking, the temporary inability to retrieve a memory. In many cases, the barrier isa memory similar to the one you're looking for and you retrieve the wrong one. This competing memory is so intrusive that you can't think of the memory you want.

Scientists think that memory blocks become more common with age and that they account for the trouble older people have remembering other people's names. Research shows that people are able to retrieve about half of the blocked memories within just a minute.

4. Misattribution
Misattribution occurs when you remember something accurately in part, but misattribute some detail, like the time, place or person involved. Another kind of misattribution occurs when you believe a thought you had was totally original when,in fact, it came from something you had previously read or heard but had forgotten about. This sort of misattribution explains cases of unintentional plagiarism , in which a writer passes off some information as original when he or she actually read it somewhere before.

As with several other kinds of memory lapses, misattribution becomes more common with age. As you age, you absorb fewer details when acquiring information because you have some what more trouble concentration and processing information rapidly. And as you grow older, your memories grow older as well. And old memories are especially prone to misattribution.

Suggestibility
Suggestibility is the vulnerability of your memory to the power of suggestion-----information that you learn about an occurrence after the fact becomes incorporated into your memory of the incident, even though your did not experience these details. Although little is known about exactly how suggestibility works in the brain , the suggestion fools your mind into think it's a real memory.

6. Bias
Even the sharpest memory isn't a flawless snapshot of reality. In your memory, your perceptions are filtered by your personal biases ---experiences, beliefs, prior knowledge, and even your mood at the moment. Your biases affect your perceptions and experiences when they're being encoded in your brain. And when you retrieve a memory, your mood and other biases at that moment can influence what information you actually recall.

Although everyone's attitudes and preconceived notions bias their memories, there's been virtually no research on the brain mechanisms behind memory bias or whether it becomes more common with age.

7. Persistence

Most people worry about forgetting things. But in some cases people are tormented by memories they wish they could forget, but can't. The persistence of memories of traumatic events, negative feelings, and ongoing fears is another form of memory problem. Some of these memories accurately reflect horrifying events, while others may be negative distortions of reality.

People suffering from depression are particularly prone to having persistent, disturbing memories. So are people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD can result from many different forms of traumatic exposure-- for example, sexual abuse or wartime experiences. Flashbacks, which are persistent, intrusive memories of the traumatic event, are a core feature of PTSD.

So,that is all of their words of wisdom. It helped me to realize that I was not well on the path to a life of dementia.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  6:41:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just posted a rather lengthy post and for some reason it didn't go through.
Holly, this is great information and I appreciate you putting it up here. Just dropped by because it has been a long time and found this wonderful post. Everyone here at home is always saying I'm the forgetful one but I think in actuality it is because I am trying to keep track of everything for everyone in the household, all adults. I need this to stop so I can focus more on what I really need to remember. Time everyone starting taking care of things for themselves. Thanks so much for sharing this.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2016 :  9:51:41 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:03:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  06:30:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the interesting info Holly. I am noticing some of these things occasionally, but like you am pretty sure I'm not on the road to dementia yet. I have been married 45 years and it's interesting to see how differently my DH remembers some things that have occurred over the years. We'll be talking about something that happened and both end up thinking the other one is losing it
The weather here has been beautiful. So many leaves have already fallen and the colors aren't as bright as last year, but it's still pretty. I've been trying to finish up some outside things before it gets too cold. Also going to do some baking today because my precious daughter and her sweet husband are coming this weekend.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I have been keeping a journal for over forty years. If I ever needed to verify something. I could go back and look it up. It is so nice seeing all those pretty little books sitting on the shelf.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  5:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It snowed last night. We woke to three inches on the ground. The trees were covered and bending towards the ground. It was very pretty. It was not so heavy that we lost a lot of branches. It took most of the day to melt away. There is still snow on the mountains but no longer in the fields. Most of the pretty leaves are gone. Many brown ones left. They are pretty against the stark grays of the trunks and branches.

The ski areas are furiously making snow. Some are claiming to have received more than a foot in higher elevations. The big areas are hoping to be open for Thanksgiving Killington which is near Rutland and an hour and a half away has skiing at the top of their mountain. I guess the diehards are out.

You are better than me about keeping track with a journal, Marie. I have tried and failed. Always a new day. I have tried just filling in the spaces in a day calendar and not made it very long. I read that Jerry Seinfeld wrote that he has a calendar and everyday he writes he makes a red X on the day. His goal is to keep the chain going. I guess he did this when he had his show. He did not specify how long or what to write he would just write.
How do you keep your books safe? Dp you worry or care that someone else might read them?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:01:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  7:36:02 PM  Show Profile
I really do not care if anyone reads them. These are all my thoughts at the time and some of them are pretty silly. Some are really sad. I can't read the entries from high school.

Here they all are on the bottom shelf of the leaded glass cabinet.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  5:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Halloween is over for the members of our family. Trick or treating for us and a few other families started at 5:30 and we were done by 6:40. The other mothers were impressed by our efficiency. We went around our downtown. We maybe went to 20 houses and then a couple on the way home. More than enough. It is interesting in the different perspective of being a child many years ago and being a mother now. My mother never invaded my bag of candy. Ion the other hand confiscate all of the candy and put it in a big bowl and mete it out over many days.

No one comes to our house. Many years ago we had a sibling pair come a couple of times. They are now in their twenties.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  8:52:20 PM  Show Profile
g

Edited by - prariehawk on Nov 04 2016 6:00:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  1:56:15 PM  Show Profile
I have not been on here because I cannot get on. I had to redo my whole computer, then it worked for one day, now I cannot get on again. I had to go onto another way to get here. What happened that nobody is posting anymore? Please do not let this forum dwindle away. We lost too many people as it is. I will try to post as much as I can when I can find a way to get on here.
Hope all are fine and doing well in your lives.
Looking forward to reading more posts,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2016 :  2:53:51 PM  Show Profile
I am just so busy.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  06:24:54 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

I have not posted because I do not want to be the entertainment for all of the lurkers who do not contribute. If I wanted that I would start a blog.

I am also still reeling form the election of Donald Trump. I thought HIllary was not the best choice either but she was a choice of not sanctioning hate and violence. My heart is filled with fear. Already in our small state people are being harassed. A young transgenedered boy in Junior High School was recently told to just move to Canada now we don't want you here. Before the election that group of young people would have kept their biases to themselves because they understood that mean speech and actions would not be tolerated. Now it is not only tolerated it is encouraged by example.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2016 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I am right there with you. I know we are not supposed to talk politics on here, but I do agree with you 100%. I just hope we do not end up having WW3. AT least Hillary has some knowledge of how to run a country and she definitely has a better mouth.
Please do not quit posting on here. I will get on as long as I can find a way to get to this forum.
Today is Veteran's day and we are having a pizza gathering here in the rec hall at 1. Seems like there are more people signed up than are here. Hopefully we will be able to get one piece each without running out.
It has bee so nice here, around 80 during the day and 60s at night, but this morning it got down to 54 degrees. Still not bad at all.
I just bought some tomato plants this morning. I have green beans and peas growing, cantaloupe, honey dew, zucchini and cucumbers. I planted a banana tree a couple of weeks ago, it is small, so don't know if I will ever see bananas on it. One lemon tree I planted from seed last February is now 5 feet tall. Maybe I will get some fruit in a few years.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  04:51:11 AM  Show Profile
I am on here early today so I can get the rest of the day going. Marie, I hope you are enjoying your job, even though you are so busy. It is not an easy thing you are doing.
Our RV park is almost full now, a lot of new people this year. We finally made it to SeaWorld the other day. We got a 15 month pass for almost the price of one day there. That is because we are Florida residents. The are just decorating for Christmas, so we will have to go back to see the décor then. They have some 50 foot trees there. It is only 37 miles from us here, but the traffic is horrific.
I hope you all have a great Saturday.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  05:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! It is a glorious fall day here, getting colder everyday, but still beautiful.
As far as the election - I did not want either candidate, but I really figured Clinton would win. I have prayed a lot for our nation during the campaign, and I will keep praying for healing. It hurts my heart that our nation is so fractured right now.
Jan, glad you are enjoying Florida. One of my dear friends moved to Englewood a few months ago and I am really looking forward to visiting her in the spring.
It's just crazy busy here. We've had company and I am trying to finish numerous Christmas gifts. Hoping to have everything ready so I can take it with me when we go to our son's in Va next week for Thanksgiving. Saves a lot on shipping. I'm going on a field trip tp Jamestown with one granddaughter and taking another for her first riding lesson. Can't wait to see everyone.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  07:52:00 AM  Show Profile
Today is a lovely day. Temperatures are in the forties and the sun is bright. I am hoping to finish burning the burdock but there are other chores that are more of a priority.

We went to SEaworld once in San Diego. It was interesting. I am glad you can get a season pass. I hear you can get one for Disney World as well being a Florida resident.

Have a good visit with the grands next week, Karin.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  08:04:32 AM  Show Profile
I finally have time. I have to get this done quickly because I have a Geek coming over to do a check up on the computers.

I worked as an election judge at the elections. In our precinct we registered over 300 new voters. Most of these were Somali women. Everyone seemed to have a sense of urgency about voting. Minnesota had the highest turnout at 74% which was 2% lower than the last election. This would seem to indicate that many voters just didn't vote. A total of 56.9% of the population of the US did not vote. I also had my own doubts about the choices I had. When I looked at the map of Minnesota, I saw that almost all the counties outside those with large urban centers voted Republicans. This gives me pause. I see that we have two Americas - not rich and poor - rather urban and rural. I have lived in both places so I can maybe begin to understand the sensibilities of both. Those of us in the cities, unfortunately, have a very prejudiced view of those in the rural areas and vice versa. A better dialog must happen between those in the city and those in the country.

My job has been, well, interesting. The kids are all great and are excited to get out of the classroom and have the full attention of a caring adult. It is the adults that have the problem. Some of the teachers are covetous of their children and do not want anyone else with them. My supervisor misunderstood how much I was willing to work and scheduled me with twice as many students as I should have. The maximum number a part timer should have is 8. I had 17. I was also tasked with seeing two students at the same time which I have not been trained to do. I was told by a more experienced person that I shouldn't do it without the training. I am seeing 2 of them one-on-one until I am told otherwise. The supervisor is working on getting kids taken off my caseload and making it so I can have a 40 minute long lunch break. I will eventually get down to 10 students. We all have a lot to learn about the Reading Corps program.

My Geek is on the way. Have to go.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  05:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Did you see the super moon last night? We got to see it for about 10 minutes, then the clouds covered it.
It was pretty though.
A couple of weeks ago we brought Olivia to the vet for her shots and teeth cleaning. They ended up pulling 9 teeth. It ended up costing almost $900.00. I think it cost more for animals than it does for humans. She does have a good vet here though. Thankfully and hopefully she will not have to go back until next year.
I have not found a Dr. here yet for myself. I need to do that soon, since I am paying insurance and medicare for it.
Marie, hopefully you will get your load eased up soon. No wonder why you are so tired.
I am having trouble typing this, I already lost it once, so I am going to go for now. Have a great day ladies,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I saw the super moon last night and tonight. We live on a hill that is westward facing so the moon came up behind the house and was difficult to see through the trees. But it set at 5:30 or so and I was up to go to the bathroom so I whipped out my camera and took it through the bathroom window where the screen has come off its frame. Tonight I went grocery shopping at the coop and took pictures on the way into town. It was above the hill so while it was bright is was not particularly big. The clouds moved in by the time shopping was finished.

The hunters are out in force these days. Rifle season for deer started this past weekend and will go through Thanksgiving. There are various other deer seasons but this is the biggest. Not as many people bow hunt or muzzleloader hunt. Only bucks are alllowed to be taken for the most part. There are exceptions depending on the season.

I agree that dog dental work is expensive. Well, most dog doctor visits are expensive. There is some sort of pet health insurance available but, I have not looked into it to be able to tell you anything about it.

That is a lot of children to help learn to read. I hope they figure out how to help all of them without burning out the teachers.

We had a very lovely day here in the Green Mountains. Temperatures were in the high fifties and the sky was a lovely blue with a light breeze.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page