jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  05:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I love the way you describe the weather in your area. It sounds like it is beautiful there. When we went back to Michigan this past summer, we went s different route through western SC, NC, WV and Va. I thought for sure Bob would have liked the mountains in WV, but he did not. I was disappointed. A cabin in the mountains would be wonderful, I think.

It got down into the high 50s this morning, so I do not think I will be going down to the pool today. With the wind, there is a chill in the air. Better than Michigan though!!!

Hunting season starts today in Michigan. It is like a national holiday there, they close the schools the first day of hunting season. Season is always from November 15-30. When I was younger, we always had snow on the ground by now. It is in the 30s there, but no snow on the ground yet. It is coming though.

Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  6:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I try to describe anything up here so people who have never been can imagine it here.

I have not really travelled in that part of the south or any part of the south for that matter.

Today started out t shirt weather and ended up winter coat weather although it is a chill rain and not snow.

Someone took a four point deer this morning off our property. It was 145 pounds. Our pigs are twice that size. hahahaha. I am sad when a deer is killed but I also understand that if the herd is not culled some will starve to death because people have overwhelmed much of their feeding grounds.

Have a good sleep,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2016 :  06:58:26 AM  Show Profile
The weather continues to be beautiful. And the moon is still looking huge.
Deer season started here Sat. The first day always sounds like there is a war going on in the hills. My husband does hunt, but he's more of the "it's great if I get a deer, but not the end of the world if I don't" school. I like venison and have lots of excellent recipes,so it is nice that he always gets at least one every year. Monday I found a dead deer on our property. Someone either couldn"t or didn't bother trying to find it. What a sad waste. The wild critters will have food.
I'm trying to finish up some cross stitched ornaments before we leave Sat for Virginia. Every year I make them for the grandbabies so they'll have some when they go out on their own, and hopefully they'll remember Gram making them for them.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2016 :  4:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

It rained a good share of the day but the temperature was warm so it was pleasant.

The big animal vet came at 8 AM to preg check Coco. She is not pregnant. She had another cyst on her ovary that popped while he was checking her. He said it does not hurt her to have the cyst pop. He also de horned and cut the vas deferens in the baby cow. We had a good visit.

I made 17 jars of Jerusalem Artichoke relish. The recipe said it would make 16 pints. It has Jerusalem artichokes, cabbage, red and green peppers and white onions with a bunch of spices in it. All of the lids sealed after the hot water bath. I was glad of that.

Have a good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2016 :  10:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Why I disappeared for a while.....I had a severe panic attack at work two weeks ago. I found out a person from my past was reading my FB posts. I was worried he would find out about my MJ posts so I deleted some of the most recent ones. It was very scary. I have since made my FB posts private and I think now I am safe. It's been a rough couple of weeks. The mother of one of my friends passed away, and my neighbor two doors down passed away. Another friend injured her ankle and had to go to the ER and I just found out someone else I know had a severe panic attack. I am glad the election is over. I am not happy about it but i will deal with whatever is to come. The weather here has been gorgeous and while I didn't go camping on my days off (too cold at night) i did spend lots of time with Jaxon and he enjoyed that. I went to my favorite music venue tonight and listened to locals jam. it felt good. I started going back to church and find that i'm liking it. I've also been turning to God more and no longer focused on trying to change the world. The only person I can change is myself. This year has been so stressful for me, I need to come back to my senses. I am becoming more assertive at work and some people don't like it. Today i got a call from one of the floors saying that they had no pillows. it's not my job to stock pillows, but I went searching for extra pillows in some of the other depts. when I got to the dept. that had called, I found out they had plenty of pillows. I asked them why they had called. "Well, we didn't have any this morning." They didn't call until 2:30 pm. It would have taken less than 30 seconds for one of them to look and see if they had pillows, and instead they called me and wasted 15 minutes of my time. And I told them so. I am feeling calmer and more rational. I guess I didn't realize how big a toll the stress has had on me. Going to try to take it easy to the end of the year. I'm not even going to worry about christmas presents. i have little money and I'm just glad we're all here. Been praying a lot. that helps.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2016 :  7:18:17 PM  Show Profile
The wind is blowing gustily and it is getting cold! This is how November is supposed to be. I wish someone would tell me why nobody seems to comment after I post something. I feel ostracized. I can't help it if the world is going crazy. That's why I pray--cause only God makes sense to me right now. Well, God and Jaxon. Dog is my co-pilot.
cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2016 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Last night we had a blizzard. It started in the morning with a mildly cold rain then turned to really cold rain. By 2:00 PM the rain had turned to snow and the wind was fierce. It was so cold walking home that I decided not to go to the social hour with my colleagues. It was so nice and warm in the apartment. I took a nap. AAAHHHHH! Lowell had to deliver a casket (empty) up to Duluth so he was driving right into the teeth of the storm. He said it wasn't so bad at first but coming back was really tricky. He was afraid that he would slide off the road. It took him an hour to crawl through traffic on the highway in the city because there were so many accidents. We ordered out for dinner and I gave to driver a hefty tip. Some parts of Minnesota had over one foot of snow.

It has stopped snowing. It is cold and wet. I will be going out to a knitting club today at a really nice place that has good food. It will be a good day.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  05:51:12 AM  Show Profile
It is cold here today, only 50 degrees and very breezy, so feels like 43 degrees. That is cold for here. It usually does not get that cold here until January and February. At least we very seldom get frost this far south.
I picked a couple of quarts of green beans out of my garden yesterday, blanched them and into the freezer. I love eating them right off the plant.
Cindy, it was good to hear from you. I was wondering why you deleted everything. Hope you feel more secure soon. You know we are here for you, even if we do not post right away. I have been having a hard time getting on, now this is the only forum I can get to.
What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? We have a potluck here in the rec hall. I did buy 2 turkeys for later because I do like left over turkey, and because they were on sale. The only time they go on sale. I really should pick up a couple more. I am so glad I have a freezer again. I like to buy meats when they are on sale. Meats seem to be more expensive here than in Michigan.
Marie, winter has started in your region of the country. Holly, it is probably heading your way. Stay warm and safe.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Lowell, his brother Brian, his daughter Hayley and I will be going north to Fergus Falls for Thanksgiving. I am bringing a coloring book and my pencils with me because it is a long car ride. I hope we go in Hayley's car because it is the most comfortable vehicle we all have. All of Lowell's extended family is up there so I will not have to do any cooking. I plan to eat moderately. I'll see if that is possible.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  6:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Friday was a very lovely day. I spent the time outside burning burdock when I was not inside supervising dsC's school work. I was outside in my t shirt some of the time.

Yesterday we had our pigs done in. The pair started a little after 7 in the morning and finished a little after noon. They did all nine pigs. Two of the pigs the people who bought them took to their house after they were killed to process themselves. The others went to the butcher shop and will be back the second week of December in little plastic packages. Yesterday it was warm out.

Today we woke to sleet and rain. Later snow added to the mix. Big huge flakes. The boys were impressed by the size of the flakes. There was not enough snow to do anything with like sled. it is mostly gone by now. Maybe winter will really start now. That would be good for the mothers because the children can play outside. It would be good because if there are not leaves and flowers the landscape is pretty dismal grays and the snow adds dimension to the scenery. The bears will go into hibernation. The bees will sleep instead of fly around looking for non existent food sources.

Marie I am glad you do not get carsick. I do . I can not even knit when I travel.

I was a little jealous of your green bean harvest, Jan. Glad you can get onto this board/

Cindy, Jaxon is a good companion. He probably enjoyed your extra time with him as much as you did his. Sometimes people at work are so focused on a task at hand they can not see 6 inches to either side.

We will have immediate family coming to the house. it is a small holiday for us.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2016 :  6:36:51 PM  Show Profile
It's still rather chilly here but that's good. I think we may get snow flurries tonight but not actual snow accumulation. Holly, sounds like you will have a lot of meat to get your family through the winter. From how you've described where you live, it must be hard to get out when there is a lot of snow and/or bad weather. I know people at work who live in rural areas and sometimes they are unable to get to work when there is a really heavy snowfall. Some people will make it to work when the weather is bad and stay overnight at the hospital. At least we have lots of beds and rooms to put 'em. My brother and his family should arrive in town tomorrow night. I'm not sure where they are staying while they're here. A new hotel recently opened that has master suites, an indoor heated pool, exercise room. etc. They might stay there. My town is also building a new train station to accommodate the high speed rail they plan to implement here. The station is being built on the site of a former golf course and it used to look so pretty, now there are mounds of dirt, trees knocked down. We do need a bigger train station but I hate driving by where they are doing the construction. Hunting season has started here and I have seen pictures of kills that people have posted. The deer always look a little perturbed, in my opinion. Guess they have a right to be.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  10:13:57 AM  Show Profile
It got down to 44 degrees here this morning with a breeze, so it did feel a lot like winter this morning. It is warmer now, 68 degrees with lots of sunshine. Still breezy, but a lot more comfortable. Supposed to have one more cold night, then a warm up again.
Cindy, do you get holidays off? I bet you are looking forward to seeing your brother and his family. How are your parents doing?
Marie, Have a great visit. Nice that you do not have to do the cooking.
Holly, Do you get the hams and such smoked? That must give you a lot of meat for quite awhile. At least a lot of pork.
We live right next door to a super Walmart, so we are there a lot. It is getting so busy now, I hate to shop too often this time of the year. We can ride our bikes there if we do not need a lot of stuff.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2016 :  4:52:42 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The governor talks about putting in rail service on the flat side ot he state but it has not happened. We do have a slow train that picks up and goes to New York and south There is another one with a station a couple of hours from us that I have heard goes to Boston. I have ridden on the one to New York. It leaves once a day.

Our road is a town road up to the house. The town plows and maintains it. We are very lucky. So, in a storm the town truck takes care of us. This morning they sanded at 5:15 AM.

We sell all of the pigs but one. WE do have the hams and bacon smoked. They are delicious and there is never enough of them as far as I am concerned.

Cold and rainy/snowy all day. We have a few inches on the ground. Mostly ran with the boys today to therapy and meetings.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  09:07:21 AM  Show Profile
happy thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for so many things today. I have been in a severe depression and am last starting to feel myself again. Its been a few years since I have been here so it will take me a while to catch up. First let me say hello to holly. I don't know if you remember me but I didn't forget you. Your posts and special gifts to me are still appreciated. Next I want to shout out to Cindy..so sorry for what you have been thru hope things are better now. I am retired and trying to learn how to live with fewer resources but the main thing I am thankful for is this forum and being able to chat with you all. I am about to go to a friends house for dinner so I hope all of you have a wonderful thanksgiving. Janiee
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  09:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Jane! It is so good to hear from you. So sorry to hear about the low feelings. Take all the time needed to catch us up.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

It is very overcast and has been all day long. 4 PM seems like it should be 8:30. It has snowed lightly most of the day.

Janiee, I have been thinking about you of and on for the last week or so wondering how you are. Aaaahhhhh retirement something I look forward too bet believe it will never come. I hope you are sewing and creating now that you have time. I am glad you are back.

Two of the big boys have joined us for today's meal. C has been cooking most of the day. I am sewing grain bag bags and entertaining young dsR. I did chores as well. C really loves to cook and does not have enough time to do it so the holidays are prime entertainment for her.

Marie, I would guess by now you are at the in laws. I hope it is an enjoyable time.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2016 :  2:41:16 PM  Show Profile
It is okay but we can't have booze.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2016 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Janiee. It has been a long time. I hope you are enjoying your retirement. e sure are. Moved here 2 years ago from Michigan.
We had potluck here, it was good, but I miss the leftover turkey. Soon I will have to make one just for us.
Holly, sounds like you had a good day. Marie and Cindy and Karin, hope your day was good also.
Just got back a little while ago from the eye dr. I do have cataracts but he said the surgery can wait 2-3 years yet. Should have my new glasses by the 6th. It will be nice to see good again.
Have a great day,

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2016 :  5:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

W3 went to a craft fair today. It happens every year and many of the same vendors are there as in the past. We always get some fudge. C picked out a basket for the eggs she collects each day and a scarf from the same vendor I bought from last year. It is very soft. We went out to lunch as well. A nice child free afternoon.

My eye doctor said I am getting cataracts and they are improving my vision so I may not need glasses after a while and then I will need them a lot more or I will need surgery.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2016 :  3:52:10 PM  Show Profile
I went to the Green Gift bazaar yesterday. It is part of Small Business Saturday. I took some pics. of a mansion across the street from the bazaar--will try to get them posted soon. This particular mansion has an interesting history--including a secret tunnel to the Mississippi River that was used during the Underground Railroad. I just spent about an hour raking the leaves in my front yard to the curb. It's supposed to rain tonight so I wanted to get them off the grass. Our city has a truck that comes by and sucks up the leaves. I have plenty more leaves in the backyard but my oak hasn't finished dropping all its leaves yet so they will have to wait. i had a nice Thanksgiving. Good to see everyone. Janiee--welcome back! It was cool here today but I still got warm from raking all those leaves. I finally figured out that the reason I feel hot all the time is because the medicine I started taking back in April has increased my metabolism--that's why i've lost 15 pounds and why i feel constantly warm, cause my body has become like a furnace. I guess there are worse things. I don't mind the weight loss at all. I have been keeping the house at 66 degrees, which sometimes feels too warm. Everyone else says they are freezing when they come to my house. I tell them that 66 degrees to me feels like about 74 degrees. I did something on Thanksgiving eve that I've never done before. I saw that Kohl's had a turntable for $40.00. I have some old records and have been looking for a turntable since I discovered earlier this year that my old one (from 1985) no longer worked. So i went there and found the turntable and waited in line 45 minutes to buy it. it wasn't as crazy as I'd thought it would be be. Lots of people but no one shoving or taking things from other people. I didn't shop on Black Friday. Never do. I stopped by Goodwill today and got four small plates. Saw a bookcase but that would just encourage me to buy more books. Not a bad thing, I just don't have time to read as much as I used to. Hard to believe it's almost December.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2016 :  5:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Sometimes the school librarian gives away books to the children. I told her that dsG did not need to bring home 10 or 20 books at a time. I was sure that other children would like to take home books too. She looked at me as if he did not have enough books to read, He does read voraciously. I told her I had 50 linear feet of book shelves and they were all full. I do not know how many actual feet we have but it is a lot. Anyway, I hear you about too many books. I am so glad that each o]/august the food shelf in town sponsors a book fair. $0.50 /book. I can get rid of the excess books in the house to some other soul.

Most of the snow we received melted from Thursday to today. There are patches on the ground now. When we woke up this morning the sun was shining. It was balmy out. Still two sweatshirt weather but nice. As the morning progressed the clouds moved in and the temperature dropped significantly and the wind picked up. The wind chimes are playing away.

DsC and I put up the winter holiday lights. We had bought a set of lights that has a thick ring at the top and six strands hang down with white balls spaced on each one. We had set it up in yard and then read the box which said it was for inside use only. We left it up and the cows broke off one of the strands but the other five still work. I took the ring with strands and taped them to the side of the house under the overhang so now it looks like a star. This particular decoration was on shark tank the box says. It has many color patterns. DsC put lights on the porch railing. The front of the house is bright and cheery at night now. Only a few more weeks until the days start to get longer.

We have hundreds of LP's. We pick them up at yard sales. C has a turntable that also records onto cd's. She got it several maybe more than five years ago now. She used it a lot in the beginning but not so much now. I think she can just put music onto her phone now easier than her cd player.

Our oak tree holds its leaves most of the winter. I just let the wind blow the leaves. I am not into raking.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  06:06:39 AM  Show Profile
We got back yesterday from our trip to Virginia. As always, had a wonderful time with my precious grands and my son and his wife. And, as always, it went too quickly and I did not want to leave. We spent Thanksgiving on the Outer Banks at our daughter-in-law's grandmother's house. She has a beautiful home on the ocean and we always have so much fun when we visit there. The Jamestown trip with our granddaughter was actually very interesting, they have learned many new things in the last few years.
Sounds like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.
Janiee, so glad to see you back. I have wondered how you were doing.
Got to finish up Christmas decorations today. Tomorrow morning I go to my daughter's for four days to puppysit while they are gone. It's always fun, the only things I need to do are walk, feed, and enjoy the dogs. I always end up shopping, reading, knitting, and napping in between walks
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Is it really the end of November already? I just went through some file folders and a bunch of envelopes and papers on my desk and I put some into recycling, some in the shredder pile, and I organized the rest. It's amazing how much paper i accumulate in spite of almost everything being done electronically these days. I went to my cousin's Lula Roe party last night and bought a pair of leggings. They cost too much but they are very soft and comfy. Does anyone know people living in the Gatlinburg area? That fire looked horrible. And now they have those storms. It is cold here with possible snow flurries later this week. Karin, you have an enviable task for the next four days. What does the Outer Banks look like these days? I was there last in 1973. I've heard it's changed a lot since then. That they moved the big ole' lighthouse and made other changes. Holly, I need to get some Christmas decorations out. Maybe this weekend. I recycled some old Christmas lights at the Green Gift bazaar. I don't know if I still have any in the basement. Living in town, i have to rake leaves. Jan, I know a co-worker who wants to move to Florida. I am terrified of alligators so I will stay put where I am. Marie, how are your kids doing in their classes? The shoes I wear at work (by Merrell) are on clearance now at REI so I hope to save $30.00 by getting a pair now. I get a new pair every two years. they are the only shoes I can wear all day and not have problems with my feet. I walk so much on hard surfaces that I need good shoes. They cost a lot but are worth it. They are actually light hiking shoes but they make great hospital shoes. I see my doctor tomorrow about my left shoulder. Have been getting PT for it. I think eventually my shoulders are just going to wear out.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  09:51:57 AM  Show Profile
I have just been reading posts to catch up. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is looking forward to a wonderful Christmas/Channukah.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn!!!! I miss you!!!!

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page