Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  4:17:20 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful vacation! And what memories you have.
My daughter Carol swerved to miss a critter and her VW Bug went down a slope into bushes. It has a bit of damage, she is shaken & sore. When she climbed up to the road a young man stopped and stayed with her while the police, tow truck, and my sister-in-law came. She said he was her angel. There are nice people everywhere.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

We have no plans for the weekend. It is raining and the weather guesser said yesterday that we may have some thunder boomers. The windows are open. We have slept with them open for several weeks now. It is unusual for it to be warm enough to have them open for the whole month of May.

I transplanted all of the tomato seedlings. Maybe 40 or more. The seeds all came up. I have some friends who want them. I planted 6 in my garden and that is enough for us. We can not grow and ripen enough to make sauce so growing enough to fresh eat is enough. The garlic is finally coming up. Some people around here have garlic that the greens are 10 inches tall already. I am thinking I would like to take the horseradish and plant it is tires stacked forur or five high. DsC has one potato plant I told him we should put in some tires to let it grow for the summer. That is still on the to do list.

Karin you trip sounds wonderful. I am into the questions that Cindy has posed. Especially the hot spring one.

It is good your uncle had a peaceful death. It is the way to go.

I hope that ddC has not pain besides her pocketbook from the crash.

We have a twin set of jersey bull calves. We used to raise them for hamburg. We would buy the claves for $20 each and get 25 or a little more hamburg from each one. Then the knacker started to pay $1 /pound for the new born claves and that put us out of business. it seems that knacker does not do that anymore. So, maybe we can raise up some more for hamburg and have enough to sell or trade.

A quiet weekend sounds peaceful, Marie. I am a bit jealous.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 26 2018 :  11:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I am sorry for your loss and happy that he passed away peacefully.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.
Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - May 27 2018 :  06:29:37 AM  Show Profile
I was finishing a long post and suddenly the whole MJ page disappeared. Argh!!!
Cindy, I'm sorry for your loss.
When we first walked out to the springs the wind and cold temps seemed almost unbearable. But once you were in the water for a few minutes it wan't quite so noticeable. If you stood up in the cold air and then dunked back into the warm water it was, as everyone was saying, actually quite invigorating. The grands thought it was great.
I love fish, so I had lots of fish and chips while we were in England. Most of the pub food I had was very good. Since we were renting a house we bought groceries and ate meals there too. It was interesting to see their grocery stores and what was available. Waitrose, considered an upscale grocer, had scanners at the door. You could scan in your items as you shopped and then just hand it to the cashier who would pull up your total. Pay, and you were out the door, no waiting. I'm not sure how they kept it honest, but it seemed to work.
Driving along the country roads and on our walks we saw sheep everywhere. We'd walk through the fields and most of them paid little attention to us. At one of the farms we visited the kids got to feed baby sheep and goats and they all loved that.
One thing I noticed was that there was hardly any trash anywhere, on the roadsides or anyplace else. They had lovely rest areas along the big highways. Off in the woods where you didn't see them from the road were buildings with several eating place and shops and lots of indoor and outdoor seating. Again, all very clean. Roundabouts everywhere. It only took Matt a short time to get use to driving on the left, but he did have issues occasionally between the turn signals and wipers . All in all a wonderful, delightful trip.
Hope everyone has a lovely Memorial Day. Going to be very hot here.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 27 2018 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh my... I returned home from Florida today, and I am so happy! My little charges were so happy to see my brother- and sister-in-law! Then when I got home reality hit. I saw what would happen if I dropped dead! The kitchen counters and table covered with stuff, the sink full of dishes, sheets pulled halfway off the bed... My work begins again! I also read your latest letter, Cindy, and you had a question about the term "racking wine". This means you separate the wine from the sediment using a tube and gravity. This is how I racked my pinot noir
The wine spent most of its time in the kitchen, but now it needs to be clarified, so it is in the basement
When I bottle it, it will join the Chardonnay on the basement shelf

We need to go through all the bins on the shelves & consolidate, because my mother-in-law has lots of stuff she's bringing.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - May 27 2018 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, I know you are fairly close to me, and not sure if you are aware, but there is a lovely "Art In the Park" gathering in Augusta KY this coming Sat June 2. I have been several times and it is a delight. I am about 20 minutes from the ferry on the OH side. Am trying to get together some gals to go.
Just wanted to let you know. Augusta is such a charming village, and, the place where Rosemary Clooney last lived.
Just love it there.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  03:41:32 AM  Show Profile
I agree! Fang & I go to trivia at the Augusta Pub on Tuesdays. Let me know when you'll be there & I'll meet you!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 30 2018 :  5:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

A very lovely day here in the Green Mountains. Temperatures were in the high seventies with a light breeze and not much humidity.

We have been picking dandelions. We made dandelion oatmeal cookies today. DdK wants to try dandelion wine and I want to make dandelion jelly. I also want to just dry the yellow and save it for tea this winter. DsC brought in some mint stem and leaves so we need to get ourselves outside and harvest and dry it as well.

The sunset was lovely with the clouds a glowing pink. The stars have been amazing these last few nights.

We set up a trail camera in the chick room and took 882 pictures and on one of them there was a rat running across the floor. I have added more hardware cloth to spaces I thought were too small for a rat to fit through. I bought hawk bait which is another name for rat poison. I have put it around the grain room and in some other places we have noticed them before. I have tried to discourage them in the past and failed miserably so this year I am starting with the big bomb first. I want them gone before the piglets arrive.

Glad to hear from everyone.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - May 30 2018 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, sorry so long to respond, but it looks like family issues (88 & 89 yo parents) that live 2 hrs away will make my trip to the art fair unlikely.
Let me know if you go! It has been such a joy in the past!
We are SO close (relatively speaking in farmgirl terms)
Have you explored Maysville? I love that town.
Also, if you haven't seen it, go to the Rankin House at the top of the hill in Ripley. The best view known to man (in my opinion), and they recently opened a nice visitor center. My friend and I park at the bottom of the hill in Ripley and hike up for some good cardio.
River towns are the best.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  05:09:31 AM  Show Profile
God has answered my prayers! I have 2 girls, Carol and Kathryn. Carol's car was declared totalled, so Fang suggested that she borrow Kathryn's car, which we have in KY. Kat agreed to it, so Fang will drive it to FL, help pack up his mom's stuff and return with her and her things. His family has pitched in to move his mom, especially his sister Mel and her husband Larry. The other prayer is Kathryn's husband signed the divorce papers. He'd been dragging his feet about it till she contacted him. So both of my girls are happy. An added bonus: I'll have at least 4 days alone (well, with dogs) so I plan to go to Ripley and explore the historic downtown Maysville. Life is good!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2018 :  4:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am glad things are working out for you, V. It is so nice when worries are lessened with the help of others. I went to a yard sale today and there were many little beagle statues. I thought, oh, if only they were dachsunds.......

Today was very warm with increasing humidity throughout the day. It was pouring earlier in towns a little south of us. We could use the rain. There is still hope for a rainfall tonight.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  5:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Wherever I go, I look for dachshund stuff. I put the figurines on window silks but the stuffed dogs are still packed.
This morning we went to an auction in Augusta, but Fang was convinced that we didn't need anything there ( although there was a cute little table that would be perfect for sewing). Augusta also had Art in the Garden, and we walked along the street parallel to the Ohio River, looking at all the jewellery, ceramic, and other artwork. I went into one shop and got something for the June color swap, then we bought tomato seedlings. When we got home I planted them, then we cut grass (Fang rode the riding lawnmower, I pushed the smaller one). Then I began consolidating the stuff in bins and loose things on shelves in the basement in preparation for Fang's mom to arrive. Fang said he wanted to help but I sent him away when he began sighing & complaining. We ate a pizza on the front porch and finished up opened bottles of wine. Now a tub bath and light crafting. As the Germans say "so bis ein schoene tag".
The good news is that Fang leaves for FL on Monday & won't be back till Saturday. Party at my place! I only need to be here when kitchen cabinets are delivered, otherwise I'll be exploring Ripley & Maysville, eating what I like and listening to my favorite jazz stations. I'm giddy!

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2018 :  6:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Yep! I did stuff like that when Lowell was gone to FL plus I got to drive the car to work.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Have fun doing what you enjoy. Party hardy! I am worried about my parents. My mom is having knee replacement surgery next month, and she has no strength as it is. Nothing I can do except watch and wait. Weather is nice here. I made a simplicity flag like the one on the cover of the latest MJF. The service for my uncle will be at the end of June. I have lost a couple pounds so veggie diet makes a difference
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

I'll be Thelma. You be Louise.

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Choosy moms choose Prozac.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  08:00:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about your Uncle @Cindy.
Glad your daughter is okay @Vanessa. Have fun while the "Fang" is away. hehe!
@Holly that sounds like so much fun to pick and make something to eat with dandelions. Could you share the recipe with us?

We are down-sizing and going to sell our house and move to a quiet place in the country. I just hired a woman to come help me sort through all my cabinets and closets. I've been saving up the money to hire someone and finally found the perfect match for me and my budget.

Once, all the sorting is done we'll have some garage sales. Then, pack up my personal knick-knacks and call the Realtor. I am so excited about moving.

Farmgirl sister #308
Wallets & Travel Accessories, Tea Wallets, and Hankie Envelopes
http://www.marketsofsunshine.com/p/member-classifieds.html

Card Making Circle of Friends
www.marshajaramillo.stampinup.net
Tea Lover's
www.tealightfultea.net/sweetretreats
FGOM 5/2018

Edited by - marjean on Jun 04 2018 08:05:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  5:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

I am a little jealous of you front porch. We have a porch but it has no furniture or picnic table on it. If I had a dream house it would have a wrap around porch with screening. I like to eat without smacking the bugs.

I hope your mom does well with the knee replacement. C loves her new knees, she says she has no pain and wishes she had done it years earlier. However, she had to do her post op exercises. I hope your mom can do the physical therapy and that her doctor sends a good physical therapist to help her.

When I make the fritters I just thicken up pancake batter and drop all of the flowers in and scoop some out a little at a time into the oil. The other recipes are all online. I searched for dandelion recipes. I did not know there were so many good foods to make with them. The oatmeal dandelion cookies had a cake consistency and you could not taste the dandelions but the children liked them. Dandelions are good for you so I don't care if you can taste them or not.

Marjean, I hope you find a nice house in a nice piece of the country. Sounds like you have a path well thought out. Are you hoping to stay in Florida or move north? I met a woman and her husband who moved up here when he retired from Florida. They had sheep for years and the wife spun. They gave up the sheep when putting in the hay became too hard. Geez they must be in their eighties by now.

Overcast and in the low fifties today. I lit the woodstove to take the chill off the house. The hills are such a wonderful spring green. So bright and happy a color. The flowers are passing on the trees and blossoming in the fields.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  7:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Holly, I make dandelion jelly. Most of it is gifted. How do you use the pickled dandelions? What parts do you use? And do you use just the yellow petals for the cookies?

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  11:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

One year I made pickles with the buds. I found the recipe on line. I think there might be a recipe for the roots, I did not make it. I use the petals for the cookies. The recipe was online.

Holly

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  05:28:36 AM  Show Profile
We had three days of absolutely beautiful weather at the beginning of the week, then back to hot and humid. I have been trying to catch up on things that needed to be done around the house. Painting, redoing flower bed borders, and cleaning things. I've started drying herbs. Seems I'm always buying parsley, basil, and dill, so I planted some and am using the dehydrator. It's working out well, so I might try some other things.
Got a package yesterday from my daughter-in-law. It contained a scrapbook with an insert on the cover to cross stitch and three little wire wrapped pendants she made with fossils and sea glass she found the day we went to the Jurassic coast in England. They are beautiful and will remind me of the trip whenever I wear them. She is a sweetheart.
Hope everyone has a great day.

Karin
Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2018 :  4:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

We had a very lovely day here in the Green Mountains temperatures were in the seventies with very little humidity. The sun shone all day. My oldest, dsR, came and helped me put soil in the tops of my garden beds. He did not complain. When I said we were done, he quietly said, I am very tired. He has not been able to come for two weeks and I have been waiting. I am glad he came today.

I have picked some mint and some stinging nettle to dry for tea. I put the plant in a baking dish in my outdoor grill and close the lid. It does a splendid job of drying the plants.

I noticed today that the red clover are going to bloom soon. I have tried for two years to dry them and have gotten brown balls. I have been told if I dry them slowly I will have purple/red balls. Anyone have any hints to encourage my success?

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I remembered reading something about using laundry detergent, so I googled it and found that laundry borax works well & will keep the color nice (and you can use it for laundry too!).
We went to a yard sale and found a Brentwood rocker for me. Fang got it for $25 and even fit it inside our Toyota.
My sweet Kathryn sent the final 2 kimono that I bought in Japan.

Right now Kathryn is flying to Las Vegas to rid herself (legally) of an unsuitable husband.

Farmgirl Sister #6754

Cookie Monster
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  5:22:46 PM  Show Profile
It's hot here. Heat warnings are in effect. Also dry. And it's not even officially summer yet. I found a skirt at Goodwill today that looks similar to one I saw recently at a big box store. The price difference is $43.00. Haven't been walking as much cause it's so hot. I am glad your daughter is getting away from that husband--he sounds like trouble. I made lentil caviar tonight for supper. I've never had real caviar. Am worried about my parents, as usual. Otherwise all is well. Enjoy your weekend
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

I'll be Thelma. You be Louise.

Caught somewhere between girl on fire and girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Choosy moms choose Prozac.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  5:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Another hot day, though not as bad as yesterday. I walked at the mall this morning and around my neighborhood this evening. Almost the longest day of the year. Vermont weather sure sounds nice. Been praying. Deliver us from evil. God, only you have the answers.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Let's do the time warp....

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I am looking at a picture of a painting from an art exhibit I attended about ten years ago. The artist lives in my hometown, and this particular series of paintings is the most powerful artwork I have ever seen in my life. The artist is of Japanese descent and was taken to Manzanar when he was eight years old. His father was detained and was never seen again. This man went on to serve his country and became an internationally recognized artist. The picture I am looking at is a painting of an American flag surrounded by scribblings in an indecipherable language. I can make out only three words: Don't punish me. I cried then and I'm crying now upon seeing it again. "In remembrance, we all see what we will." A quotation from the brochure I am holding. This man went on to create works of beauty. I have met him and he is very soft spoken and gentle. I am sorry if anyone is offended by this, but I cannot remain silent. Maybe I will be banned from an this site but that's OK. I have spoken from my heart and said what needed to be said. Words left unsaid can kill a person inside. "Surely, the senses of a strong spirit have melded events of happiness and pain into gifts from the heart." That is all I can say at this time. I hope you understand.
Cindy

Medicated AND Motivated!

Let's do the time warp....

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  4:51:05 PM  Show Profile
It is sad that we repeat the mistakes of the past. The situation at the southern border is similar to the incarceration of Japanese-American citizens. Incarcerating our own citizens is horrible enough. Separating children from their parents is quite another thing. America has done this before with the Native Americans. During World War II, Germans separated Jewish children from their parents and raised them as their own. Until we have experienced the consequences of these actions, we will never understand.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page