churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2022 :  7:01:20 PM  Show Profile
Coming back from a walk in the park with my dog Girlie, she sniffed at a squirrel. I thought it was dead, so I picked it up by the tail to take it to the dumpster. It started kicking its legs. I let the dog go and cuddled the squirrel in my arms. I could feel that it had broken a rib and there was blood coming out of its mouth. It was making noises as if it was in pain. I brought it into the house and gently put it in a box with a jar of warm water wrapped in a towel. Lowell and I took it to the Wildlife Rehab Center. As we drove, I had my hand on it to make sure it was still alive and, maybe, to comfort it. They said it was a teenaged male squirrel. It probably tried to jump around and fell. I believe I found it just minutes after it was injured. I hope it does okay. They do really good work at the Center.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  04:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Poor little guy! Will they return him to where you found him?

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  07:14:04 AM  Show Profile
He will probably go to a wilder location. Living in the city seems to have caused him to make poor choices.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6447 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6447 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  08:18:31 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy you were there at the right time and saved his life, such a heartwarming story Marie.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  2:53:37 PM  Show Profile
I will know if he survived in about a week. He was bleeding from his mouth so internal injuries may be present.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6447 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6447 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh please keep us posted.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  6:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Marie, so glad you were there to help save the little guy. Was he hit by a car or something?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  7:42:14 PM  Show Profile
He fell from a tree. I found him on the sidewalk.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6447 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6447 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2022 :  7:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Poor, poor baby! I hope he makes it!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2022 :  02:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Aw, let us know when you hear about him please. I hate to see animals hurt.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2022 :  8:16:18 PM  Show Profile
The time is approaching that we half expected with my sweeties mom. She is 93 and is getting more frail and forgetful. When I took her to her last doctor's appointment I asked about in-home care, and we are looking for helper.
The good news is our son, Aaron, will be moving from Florida to help her and to make a fresh start. My brother- and sister-in-law will bring him and all his stuff at Thanksgiving. We are blessed to be able to take care of her, at least for now. I'm also glad to have 2 of our 3 children nearby.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2022 :  04:11:17 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,
We do have snow on the ground...... finally. The weather the next few days is variable and that is a kind word for it. Today it is supposed to be close to 50 and tomorrow in the teens. Rain and then snow. The only part that is difficult is the driving.

Vanessa how is it at your home? I hope your son,Aaron, makes better choices than he had been. It is hard when an elder becomes more and more fragile. Hugs to you all

and the squirrel?

Our son, T has his own issues with drugs and often seems to be making an effort to get his life together and then he disappears for three or four days. He says he is not using but the trust is fragile and hope is all there is.

Two of the boys who have moved out are coming home for the day of winter holiday. They are good souls and kind.

I hope you are all well.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2022 :  3:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Aaron is a big help for Dee. I think there may be a misunderstanding about him - he hasn't made bad choices, but he has Aspberger's so he has had educational challenges and is not comfortable with change. He has taken food service classes, a/c, and I think plumbing classes, but has not gone further. His job in Florida was delivering auto parts. He moved to eventually get a better job and the cost of living is cheaper than Florida.
On the plus side, he cooks well.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2022 :  5:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Well we were a toasty 40 today but now it is raining and expected to go down to -2 tonight with a high of 2 tomorrow. I'm not sure I've ever been where it has had temperatures that low. We may be stuck indoors for a couple of days now.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2023 :  1:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

Vanessa I am glad you grand son Aaron has skills and compassion. Sometimes when people write in non descriptive terms it can be misinterpreted. I am sorry I misinterpreted his situation. I am glad he is a good help.

We are having very warm weather yesterday and today so far. The snow cover is almost gone. I had three round bales delivered today so we will have plenty of outdoor hay for the cows. Josie and Millie take about two weeks to eat through a round bale. It is a wrapped bale so when it is unwrapped it smells very sweet. The like it very much. Using the round bale I do not need to put out hay every day. I use flakes of a square bale inside each evening.

Chris and I built a cow shed two summers ago. We slide the round bale in to it to keep the rain and snow off. Two weeks ago during the big winds the roof blew off and landed about ten feet away. We will have to rebuild it this summer. There is a floor that is now a roof in the cow shed so the round bale can still be out of the weather.

The pigs really enjoy the warm weather. They are in the garden which is now their pen. They are rooting up the ground and eating the Jerusalem Artichoke bulbs that have taken over the area. I am hoping the Jerusalem Artichoke population will be significantly decreased this year.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2023 :  6:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Good use of the pigs as land clearing workers. Aaron is my sister's son and my eldest nephew. I am so happy he can help out.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  1:28:42 PM  Show Profile
The first seed catalog of the year arrived yesterday. I'm thinking of Brussel sprouts and okra along with beans and tomatoes. If we get bees, I'll place one hive closer to the garden.
My 2023 resolution is much the same as last year: reduce, reuse and recycle.
Today I got an artificial Christmas tree for a quarter at the Country Closet, along with some tops and books.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2023 :  09:13:58 AM  Show Profile

Step aside Taco Tuesday,it is Waffle Wednesday!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2023 :  7:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Great idea, Vanessa!!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2023 :  5:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Love that idea Vanessa! I also love waffles.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  05:15:29 AM  Show Profile
Nobody else in the house eats them so I freeze them and pop them in the air fryer for 5 minutes and they are delicious and crispy. Today I added plain yogurt and mangoes

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  07:57:21 AM  Show Profile
What temperature in the air fryer?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2023 :  1:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone,

Sunny and windy today. The car says in the forties. The wind makes it cool enough to make my forehead under my winter cap feel very cold.

The snow is melting from the bottom as it should. The puddles in the road through the field are half way up my winter boots.

Yesterday, we had our pigs slaughtered. They were a lot smaller than previous years. We had to make the slaughter date when we got them as piglets and the due date was 6 weeks earlier than usual. But, they will be tasty none the less. I put the guts in the second field under a pine tree where I could get the tractor too. We still have 18 inches of snow on the ground in the fields.
Today I took a trail camera out to hang on the tree to see what eats or takes away the skins, heads, and intestines. The ravens were gathered in the trees and some of the guts had been dragged away and some eaten already.

Some of the forest ground is bare on the slopes that face west and get the morning sun. Maple sugar season should be longer this year with the deep snow pack.

A cold has gone through our family. We are better.

Stay well.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2023 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
I am glad you and your family are better, Holly. Being sick is no fun, and on a farm you still need to get up and get things done. Enjoy your bacon and chops!

Betty J., sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I put them in frozen for 5 minutes at 425 degrees.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 18 2023 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

We are finally into spring. We had March in like a lion and stayed like a lion for mostly the whole month. April was cold and May in the beginning was April showers. Last night we had a frost. Today we worked outside and there were no black flies, Monday they could have carried anyone away. We put baby oil on to keep the black flies from biting. They stick to our skin but can not get their proboscis through the oil. I do not like the swarms around my face or in my ears.

When I run the chain saw the black flies do not bother me. Must be the exhaust. I have been cutting down trees for firewood. I like to get them down before they leaf out or the birdies go to nest.

The apple trees are budding. The ornamental cherry trees are in full bloom. They are gorgeous. The pinks, magentas and reds contrast with the new greens of the leaves and the grass.

The fox is back to pick off my chickens. I do not want to shoot it but by the end of summer I may not have any mature chickens left. I do not own a gun anyway. I am thinking of a paint ball gun. One of my sons told me to freeze the paintballs and it hurts A LOT on impact. O hjave never shot a wild animal or any animal for that matter.

Stay well,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page