Jess_Quinn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Jessica
Gleason TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile
I graduated with a bachelors degree in agriculture last year, but my concentration was in animal science so I'm a little behind on the agronomy side. I am starting a small farm with my soon-to-be husband and I am a little stuck on my garden project. I live in Tennessee and we have basically a clay loam soil (the soil test web site says silt loam, but they are a bit off) which is making it difficult for me to follow conventional gardening practices. I have tilled and I have 10 raised rows, but the rows are clumpy and the weeds have not been alleviated. I am not sure exactly how to go about growing a good first 'crop' without the use of chemicals...to be honest, I'm a little confused all around. Any advice would be appreciated!!

"He makes the grass to
grow for the cattle, and herb for
the service of man, that he
may bring forth food out
of the earth" Psalms 104:14

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Was the soil wet when it was worked? That usually results in clumps. I am still learning at gardening as well, but I would say they best thing for me is to weed daily the good old fashioned way - pull by hand. So many things factor into your crops performance - water, temperature, soil nutrition, etc. Get some good books, but also keep a garden journal to learn what works for you and what doesn't. A good thing I learned was to plant some oats early then turn them under as a green manure. It helps improve your soil and the decaying plants provide nutrients for your growing crops. Best of luck to you and lets hope for more rain this year!

Farmgirl Sister #4701
Go to Top of Page

Jess_Quinn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Jessica
Gleason TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2013 :  11:22:38 AM  Show Profile
The ground has been fairly wet...I think I have rushed into this without really thinking things through (I thought that I had a good plan, but I didn't have a clue). The weeds are going to be the biggest issue for me this season I think...I'll stick it out and see how it goes...trial and error right?

"He makes the grass to
grow for the cattle, and herb for
the service of man, that he
may bring forth food out
of the earth" Psalms 104:14
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2013 :  2:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Many people till once, then till again approx. 6-7 days later to kill any weed seeds that initially sprout. But weeding is really important especially the first month of new plants.
The other thing I think crucial is to add organic matter every time you change the beds. This can be manures( try to find as organic as possible), compost, or green nitrogen fixing cover crops ( which then gets tilled in, the roots form nodules which contain nitrogen).
If you still need more fertility add a good organic premixed fertilizer, these usually will last 6 months- to a year. Here in Ca. we grow year round so we need to add more .

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  04:05:39 AM  Show Profile
I had huge problems with weeds and a neighbor of our had down plastic tarp. I asked him about it and this is it http://www.lowes.com/pd_64430-18632-CFBH0610B_0__?productId=3227217&Ntt=blue+hawk+plastic

So last year I tilled and then covered the entire garden with the black plastic. When I pulled it away from the winter, I had wonderful and easy weed free dirt to plant in. I also keep the parts of the garden covered that I am not currently using. I am so thankful for this plastic, it saved my garden.

I am not sure how big your garden is but this was worth my investment here in PA

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2013 :  05:24:12 AM  Show Profile
I am using the plastic this year too to see how it goes.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile
I know our soil is like clay, add compost if you can, I'm trying raised rows and newspaper cardboard path cover this year

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Needing some advice... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page