Jess_Quinn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Jessica
Gleason TN
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2013 :  12:07:24 PM  Show Profile
I have just started making my own compost, but I do not have a spreader (or any clue what I am doing). Any suggestions for where to buy an affordable spreader or tips on how I might be able to make one myself? Any general garden/farmstead tips would be great as well....I'm 22 and just starting out on a small farmstead/agritourism business with my fiance (husband as of June 2013). We are starting this from scratch since we do not come from farming families. Thanks in advance!!

"He makes the grass to
grow for the cattle, and herb for
the service of man, that he
may bring forth food out
of the earth" Psalms 104:14

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2013 :  6:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Jessica,
I am a new farmer too. I cannot offer you a lot of advice from experience
but I can offer some advice. Try magazines, like Mother Earth
News, GRIT, books like Country Living and Back to Basics. and of course, Mary Jane's Farm. Also try a country store and ask for help, whatever is local. Good Luck to you. I wish I could help more. And Best wishes on our upcoming wedding. PLease post pictures.

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

"Longin' to be farmin'.."
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  07:33:59 AM  Show Profile
Post a flyer at your local farmers market with specifics of what you're looking for. Talk with area farmers and equipment sales people. Don't let the latest and greatest features fool you into buying something that doesn't fit your needs especially if it can save you some money. Also when it comes to brand get something name brand. Parts are readily available and you get better service. No 1-800whaaa to call. Also check your local farm bureau ads ad well as the local paper, buy/swap magazines and Craigslist. Hope this helps.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2013 :  3:00:18 PM  Show Profile
This may sound dumb but..why do you need a spreader? (I am seriously scratching my head) Are you wanting one for putting the compost in your garden area? I just use a shovel and wheelbarrow to move my compost where I want it. Are you wanting one to attach to a tractor or a handheld spreader? I'm super curious.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

will2farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jessica, I think it's cool to see a young couple tryin to start up in agri-tourism. What exactly are you lookin to do? I agree that a shovel and a wheelbarrow are your best bets if you're not planning on a garden to feed a small city:)I'd make sure I would rototill it in well.Actually, a rototiller may be a good investment to start.I don't mean to tell you what to do but I've grown 100 acres of corn and another 100 of legumes for the past 25 years and just this year am trying my hand(garden) to sell produce at a farmers market. Umm...I'm no professional as I've had some bad years:) just don't get discouraged and realize that mother nature can bless us or bring us to our knees. Another thing you may want to do is just take a simple soil test. I'm not sure what the soil is like in your neck of the woods but round here the PH is a huge thing. That just means simple(inexpensive) lime needs to be added to the soil and it makes a huge difference. I sure wish you the best of luck and if there's anything I can do to help, just give a shout!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Good for you, Jessica! If I were you, I would start by contacting the University of Tennessee's Agricultural Extension Service. Like most states' extension agencies, they probably have field offices if Knoxville is out of bounds for you. Of you could just talk to them by phone. Among other things, they offer soil testing. You always get the best advice from extension agents, because they know the growing conditions you're dealing with. It's (mostly) free*, too! Your tax dollars hard at work :)

*Soil testing may cost you a bit, and if they have publications of interest to you, you might have to pay something for them, but as far as I know, all the advice is free.
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2013 :  07:39:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jessica! We are not far from you (Dickson, near Nashville) but your soil will better (less rocky/clay) than ours. We are gardening for the second year and can't believe how much better the soil looks this year - we actually have seen earthworms this year! We scattered our compost with shovel/pitchfork/wheelbarrow and then tilled it in. I think there is a pretty good UT Ag office in Martin...
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jessica!

Just want to say congrats on what you are doing. I was just a year older than you when I bought my home with my dh. While it is not a "farm", I've got several acres and love to garden. Like the other farmgirls, I use shovel as well, and just till it in where I want the compost to go. Gardening reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once that said, "I hate golf. I hate golf. Nice Shot! I love golf!" A lot can affect the outcome, so don't get frustrated. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Compost Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: