Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Dixie Rainbow chickens-not what I thought
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dixie Rainbow chickens-not what I thought Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile
I purchased some new laying hens this year and they are a week old. I got a couple of Dixie Rainbow chicks with my auracanas, new hamps, and some brahmas. The Dixie's were described by MtHealthy Hatchery as colorful laying hens.

After a week of having the chicks the Dixie's are growing like meat chickens and are very aggressive.They are trying to flog the other chicks constantly. I have never seen chicks at a week old act this way.
I am taking them back today to trade them in for a few Rhodies. I did some research on the internet and many of the hatcheries are selling them as meat birds similar to the freedom rangers. I didn't want to have meat chickens to butcher because of my hand surgery. All I know is these birds are growing fast and have thick legs. I wonder why they are promoting them as laying hens.I am sure they lay but would not think as well as a normal laying hen.

Anyone ever buy any of these Dixie Rainbow chickens. I first seen them advertised last year. Just was curious if any of you farmgirls had purchased any of these and your thoughts on them. Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  1:11:38 PM  Show Profile
I haven't but good to know Linda. I don't like aggressive chickens. If they are game it's not so bad because they have a purpose for the aggressiveness, but just plain mean chickens...bleck. I have purchased marans that are sort of aggressive and the rooster got mean later. But the hens were ok, but not anywhere near as docile as many of my other birds.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  1:14:10 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of them, but just doing some really quick research, it appears as though they are being marketed as a dual purpose bird. When things are dual purpose, it tends to mean that they are not spectacular in either arena (either egg or meat), so I'd personally pick something else, too. The growth rate on the chicks I see online looks almost as astronomical as a broiler, and I wouldn't like them in with my layers, either. They have very 'Cornish' looking heads and legs. I'd have to pass on that.

I am trying out Australorps this year and Salmon Faverolles. Both are supposed to have a high lay rate, so we will see! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  2:32:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple of Salmon Faverolles and they have funny feet( extra toes) and personalities.They talk to me in a way the other breeds have not. I affectionaly call the one Frenchie. And when she lays an egg she sounds like the Joker laughing. Thats the nickname I gave her. I have had family over and she will be carring on after laying an egg and they always ask is that a chicken.....never heard your chickens sounds like that before. I think you will like them they sure have a unique personality. Australorps are very gentle and lay a light brown eggs. I like them alot too.

I thought the heads on the Dixie Rainbows looked a bit like a cornish too. Tomorrow the new chicks come in they didn't make it today and I am going to trade them in tomorrow. It will nice to get those little floggers outta here. I have raised all kinds of chickens this is one I will not try again.As I set here and type I can hear them being little meanies.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 25 2013 2:32:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  6:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Linda, I've never even heard of them before. I hope you can get what you want. You sure don't need to have to worry about butchering chickens.

Kris

The good beekeeper is generally more or less cranky. C.P. Dadant

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2013 :  7:07:59 PM  Show Profile
I like australorps too.
Laura

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  10:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Well just got back from the feed store. I took the 2 meanies back and he could not believe how big they were. He thought they looked like meat chickens too.
I came home with 3 Rhode Island Red hens. They looked very small compared to the day old chicks from last week. They ended up being in shippment 1 day longer than usual. I think it was hard on them. One of the little chicks I picked out was not acting very well. I hope she will improve now that she is here.They all drank and ate a little and now are napping.

Relieved to have the meanies gone.I know the other chicks are glad too.Hopefully it will be all calm from here on out.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone will be happier..lol.
Laura

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dixie Rainbow chickens-not what I thought Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page