sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2013 :  5:36:42 PM  Show Profile
well with all the wheeling and dealing we have done to get by here we are. in the last year we have sold or eaten about 15 head of bovine. so we are narrowed down to the lean. well hazel our jersey girl in milk is about 11 months into her milking. so she is slowing down a little. it looks like some of the pigs are BRED yipee. so with customers and piglets we needed MORE milk. well a friend has my cow isabelles calf. sophia blue bell just had a calf. so she is in milk well alyssa decided two cows with her man gone for out of town work is too much to do. alyssa also works. a busy mom and milkmaid. so we worked out a deal i have her cow sweetie. she is a small jersey. she will calve may 17th. how exciting another birth here on the farm. i can tell i am going to love love this cow. she is the same size as my mini jersey buttercup. some of you might remember she died from cancer a few years back. this girl here is so smart. so i will have milk again for everyone. i will continue to milk hazel also. once she is bred back i may dry her off. so today was spent loading the dump trailer with poop tons and tons of poop. we haul it across the road to the compost piles. so out new girl sweetie will learn halter training, lead rope, and learn to follow the car to come in for milking. i will go slow with her. she is looking very uncomfortable. so busy farm days ahead i will post a pic of her tomorrow i hope. so happy days here.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2013 :  07:45:00 AM  Show Profile
How fun Sherry. I would LOVE to have cow like that. Have pics?
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrittergrannysLair
www.creamofthecroptrailrides.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2013 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile
She sounds like a wonderful cow for you. I hope she trains easy and calves easy. Good luck on your new adventure.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2013 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see the pictures. Enjoy!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2013 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Ooooo! Mini jerseys have the best milk and take up less space/feed! I'm happy that you are doing well Sherry, enjoy you girls and good luck with calf time!

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic oh happy days new cow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page