Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2017 :  10:45:02 AM  Show Profile
Where I grocery shop they print out on the sales slip the percentage saved. Today I saved 21%. If I can average 20% saved each time I shop there I figure I am doing something right.

I had a $4 coupon off Annie's dry dog food and bought meat 50% off in marked down bin.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  06:12:06 AM  Show Profile
I went to the library instead of purchasing more e-books! :)

I've also been going through my inventory records of what is in freezer and pantry and planning meals that will use up what we have. Trying to get extra $ in savings and keeping grocery bills at or under budget would help that for sure!

So far I have meals planned out about 3 weeks and still going!!! We've been slipping back into fast food habits recently and I've been making a point of getting dinner on the table each night.

Last night when DH called and said he was running an errand and should he bring home something for dinner I could say No! It's taken care of!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2017 :  4:28:15 PM  Show Profile
I borrow ebooks through the library as well as look for free ones on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and the Ibooks. I am also stopping and thinking twice before getting things and try to buy grocery items on sale plus use coupons I print out as well as through the paper.

This is a real need for us right now to cut back and pay off so try to be creative and watch for freebies!

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  7:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Our library had a free valentine cookie decorating class today. We were given 12 cookies each and the instructor had 5 different colors of icing to decorate with with all the sprinkles and other fun things to put on the cookies. My hubby thought it was pretty special to have such colorful cookies with his supper.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  9:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Kem - that sounds like SO much fun!!!!

This week, I marinated a whole bunch of chicken breasts in different types of dressings, then baked them all at once. Once cooled, I cut them into very thin slices and bagged them up in meal-sized portions for the freezer. Whenever we want a light and easy dinner, I'll just pull the chicken out to thaw and then throw it into really big dinner salads. Super quick, super easy, and super yummy! This week we had raspberry chicken salads - lettuce, red onion, chicken, chopped apples, toasted pecans, craisins and crumbled feta with homemade dressing. A salad like that could cost anywhere from $11.99 to $13.99 at the restaurants, but I made ours for a fraction of the cost, and we didn't have to leave a big tip! Next week, we'll have chicken salads made with lettuce, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, italian marinated chicken, oven fries with melted cheddar... I have enough in the freezer to have several weeks of these healthy dinners! The meat is also great on sandwiches or warmed and served with a side dish like mac-n-cheese or pasta with sauce. We are just always on the go, and I love to make quick healthy meals with my canned meats, but sometimes you just want a nice, hearty salad, you know? I refuse to go to the restaurant anymore unless we absolutely must! Homemade is so much better, and service and food in restaurants have been completely lacking in recent months... By making all the chicken up ahead of time, salad meals are a snap!

I have to ask: How do you girls handle tipping when the service is bad? And do you tip on the food alone, or on the entire bill, including tax? Just wondering...

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  07:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Lowell (DH) says he would still leave a tip but not go back again. I would leave a tip and talk to the manager about it.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  12:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Lowell's right, and so are you, Marie. My policy is to leave a generous tip, even if I felt it wasn't deserved. Nobody knows what the waitperson is going through, it could be a really bad day for them on any of many different levels. Two strikes, though, and I'm done (unless the first one is really, really bad). I have also walked out, though, when I've seen really gross things, like the time I watched the waiter filling my glass with soda, then he sneezed right into it, wiped his nose into his hand and then grabbed my glass with that same, unwashed hand, and delivered it right to my table. When that kind of thing happens, I pay for whatever we have actually consumed, bringing the money straight to the manager with my complaint, and I do walk out without leaving any kind of tip - other than the tip I leave to the manager: hire competent people and train them well on health safety! Episodes like the one just mentioned happen rarely, but there are so many others where the service is just horrible. When it's bad, I actually kind of resent paying anything extra for a tip - I mean, my wallet fights me every step of the way, but I do still tip. I just feel it really should be earned; it should be something I am happy to do rather than feel compelled to do, you know? I think that's why I am much more inclined to cook at home. I don't get a tip, but what I save by not having to pay one is mine and I KNOW I deserve it! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  07:35:55 AM  Show Profile
It is nicer to eat at home when you think about all the things we probably don't know are happening around our food! Yikes! Even doing the dishes doesn't seem such a big deal when you think of it that way! lol

Thrifty has always been a focus for me but it is front and center right now due to having my job get cut in half last week - pretty stressful right now really.

Focusing on stretching the food we have in the house, turning off lights and items that don't need to be using power, lowering the thermostat, things like that.
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  11:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I eased into the world of meal prep. I cooked eggs for a week's worth of breakfast sandwiches, premade all my lunches, and did the sous prep for a baked chicken dinner and a slow cooker steak fajita dinner. The hope is to stop spending money on fast food during my lunch breaks and not eat out so much for dinner. I get off work at 6pm so if I don't have dinner ready to cook, if I have to pick a recipe, check my kitchen, go to the store, and then cook (after feeding the dogs of course), I won't get to eat until 8:30 or so pm! I'm hoping this also makes it easier to keep the kitchen clean since I am basically taking my dishes from fridge to oven with little to no other prep.

I'm also on an elimination diet right now to find out what I'm having reactions to, and this helps me keep an eye on what I'm eating. You never know what all goes into other peoples' food!

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  12:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Rachel you are off to a good start. Meal planning takes time and prep but it is well worth it.

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  12:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, we decided to start small, and there are a couple dinners I eat out of the house every week anyway- Bible study and dinner with my mom, so to commit to all my breakfasts lunches and dinners seemed unnecesary to start! Nothing like overwhelming yourself from the get go and then being unable to keep it up.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  2:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Amen to that, Jaime! And Rachel - Kudos to YOU! You GO girl!!! That "sous prep" definitely makes all the difference in my cooking world! :) I find that if it's clean, cut and ready-to-go, not only is cooking easier, but my guys will choose healthier snacks (carrots, celery, strawberries, etc.) much more often, too! A healthy diet benefit - whodathunkit!? Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  06:27:53 AM  Show Profile
We had company over on Saturday and I made two batches of chili - one white and one red. I also made Snickerdoodle bars. On Sunday I froze the left over chili in 1 cup portions in freezer bags for my lunches. I also cut and froze the majority of the Snickerdoodle bars. Wrapped each one in plastic wrap then put them all in a freezer bag. They will be nice to pull out as needed for snacks and packed lunches.

I also went to Target for Valentine's clearance - found a little gold tin mailbox for DS's Easter basket and some pretty gift tags that will work for birthdays - both items were $0.10 each!

I've been really good at packing lunches lately too! AND making something for dinner every night so we don't eat out! Today I'll be making up a big batch of chicken stock to freeze!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  06:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Jaime I'm so proud of you for sticking to your goal of packing lunches and eating at home.

Great Valentine finds.

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  08:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I need to really work on meal prep and lunch prep. I am very bad about not bringing my lunch and then using that as an excuse to go out. Plus it is the "social" thing to do at my office. But I am happier not being social, lol. Less drama. Plus I can either go to the thrift store or stitch on my lunch.

Things, I have been doing to save:
Pour the kettle of hot water in the Stanley thermos and unplugging the kettle so it doesn't keep running.
Drinking water instead of soda
Closing my internet carts and telling myself NO, LOL
Thinking, can I do that with something I have? Example: Was placing an order with a gift card and started to throw in some tape runners (would have been apx $8) I removed them. I have tape, I have glue so I can use that.

I want to set down and create a plan......I want to pay off the house by 2019. I also hope that we can start to build a small house in the country land this summer. My dream is to have it off-grid, but J is not really on board with that yet ;)

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Put your lipstick on & be Happy!
http://stitchthrifty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  2:01:31 PM  Show Profile
I know this is a totally cheater way to save money... but I made a big costco run last weekend and have been living off the spoils :) Buying in bulk is my friend these days!

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  3:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
New member promo code for some vitamins I ordered online. To buy locally very pricey! Saved %5.

Gave myself a haircut instead of going to salon . . .saved $20+

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  06:18:55 AM  Show Profile
This isn't a way I saved money this week, but it is in prep to save it! I remembered that a local children's clothing sale a local church has twice a year should be coming up soon.

I looked up the date - turned out to be a Saturday in March - and asked DH to make sure he does not pick up that date as overtime at work. That way he can stay home with DS and I can be there when the sale opens.

They have it in a huge gymnasium and there is a TON of stuff! The spring sale will focus on spring/summer clothes and it is a great way to get kids set for the season! They'll be another one later in the year that has fall/winter items.

I'll be going through the small storage room upstairs soon to make note of the items purchased at last year's garage sales that will fit DS this year. Then I can make a list of things we need to purchase.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  12:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Jaime, I have been thinking on the same terms. In my area, they have Good Friday sales. So I am working on my needs list. I find that it helps me to stay on track.
I am debating on going solo. Sometimes some gal pals and I go and make a day of it. But the last couple times it was not that fun, the gals kinda bickered and it just seemed to dampen the mood. Plus if I go solo, I can get thru it much much faster.

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  1:18:37 PM  Show Profile
I like to go alone because then I can walk the entire store, look at everything and go back to rethink and change my mind. I really dislike being on someone else's schedule for thrift shopping.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  08:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Agreed!!! I'd rather go solo and be able to focus on finding the deals!

Made a batch of homemade yogurt this weekend as an experiment - hoping it turns out! Will try it today! We had milk to use up, I had the unflavored gelatin and sugar - all I had to buy was a small cup of yogurt for the "starter". If this works it will be a nice way to supplement our food variety for cheap!

I plan to keep trying all the DIY food pins I've pinned over the years! Next up is DIY Cream of Mushroom Soup for the freezer!

Picked up three loaves of Italian bakery bread from Walmart this weekend from the discount rack - $0.50 each! They are now in the deep freeze waiting to be made into stratas, stuffing, croutons or used as garlic bread, etc.!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, great buy on the bread.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  06:15:56 AM  Show Profile
The yogurt turned out great! DH was very happy! :)

I also successfully patched a hole in DS's jeans using a scrap of fabric and Wonder Under to make a star shape cut from an old sweater I'd saved in my fabric bin. Then did Sashiko stitching over top that, turned out nice! He wore them to school today!

I have another pair of jeans with a hole that I'm working on now. Cut a blue star from a free T-shirt I'd saved. And then I have one more pair of khackis with a long split at the knee that I'm trying to figure out what to do with! He went through the knees on 3 pairs of pants in one week a few weeks ago - I was beside myself! lol
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2017 :  06:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning thrifty chics!

I have decided this garage sale season I am going solo! It is so true that you can think and get thru them so much better. Thanks for helping me not feel guilty for wanting to go solo!

Jaime - How do you make your yogurt? I use the thermos method and it works quite well. For Cream of Mushroom I use the DIY cream soup mix (it is in one of the older MJF books, I think I may have submitted it, lol) and either canned, sauted mushrooms or dried ones.
The Italian bread was an awesome find!! My thoughts go to garlic bread and stromboli's,yummers!

On the saving front this week so far......
Saturday I hit a bargain at Walmart also, black cotton/poly fabric for $2 a yard, bought the full bolt of 12 yards. That is half price and my wardrobe is mostly black and grey. I also got a pretty black pinstripe cotton for $1.50 60"wide fabric. I see some adorable dresses in my future. It was actually a splurge to by that much fabric but such a savings also!
Been hanging clothes to dry, minimizing potty flushes, keeping lights off except what is necessary, thinking before making impulse purchases. I may go to the thrift today on my lunch...if the rain lets up.
Well that is all I got this morning, have a great day!

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2017 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile
I have been enjoying reading your tips and tricks and have seen some I plan to try.
Even though it has been snowing here and still cold, I decided to lower our thermostat to help cut back on the amount it runs. So far so good!
I have been opening all my blinds for light instead of turning on lights.
And last night we gave our 1 year old a hair cut instead of taking him to get one. It turned out pretty good considering he wouldn't hold still!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page