Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Looking Around for A Little Acreage NE/IA/MO/IL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Looking Around for A Little Acreage NE/IA/MO/IL Next Topic  

shell-belle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Nebraska
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2013 :  10:56:58 PM  Show Profile
So we are trying to move from our house in our small town. We are selling our business for a fraction of its value due to my health. We are maybe getting close to that happening. We did own our house free and clear, but as we were not an LLC, it was collateral, so it depends if the new buyers want that, as well as the business. We've had our home twenty years and our business fifteen.

I really just want up out of here. People have been nasty about things. I had to take off because I had a knee replaced and then it swelled up because I was bleeding internally and I had a second surgery. I had a MRSA infection but may have gotten it working as an RN. I've been off work since May, hubby has since we closed the shop. People have incorrectly assumed we would soon be starving, so have made ridiculous low ball offers on items I wasn't even trying to sell.....just by going through my Facebook pictures.

I did sell some ground with my brother, it was a much larger farm than I will need, we had been cash renting it, the house was trashed, though I do need to go down and get some stuff off it.

We are working out of the home but I've gotten where I just want to hide, so I'm thinking about buying an acreage...a very small one for just us. Thirty acres or less. Less than ten would be okay.

I was just throwing it out there in case y'all know of anything.

Here is my preferences.....
Nebraska is preferred but I would like to get at least 1 1/2 hours away, where no one knows me, so I can get a fresh start. I am tired of everyone looking down on us.

Other states could include Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas. Pretty is a plus.

The house, I prefer with some character, but also I prefer central heat/air, a basement, a decent roof. A deck or sun room is a plus. Shade trees.

I would like fruit trees or a place to grow some. I would like a nice garden area.

I would very, very, very much enjoy a nice barn which I will paint red! Other outbuildings would be good, and I'd like to be able to keep our many "toys" inside.

I really would like to be able to have chickens, a couple cattle, and a couple hogs. I want to try to build a greenhouse, and I'm extremely interested in aquaponics.

It doesn't have to be a fancy place. It would be nice if I could draw a bit of traffic by there so we could run our business out of there. Fairly close to larger towns would be nice, hopefully maybe a town where I might find employment as a nurse when I heal more.

I have enough money to buy a place outright, if it is not a real fancy place. The things I'm finding in my price range are usually a decent enough house, some outbuildings, a few acres. I would like to visit. A lot of places are set up for horses, which I'm not really into. Nothing against horses, they just aren't my thing.

I would like to find a place I could find friends like me.

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2013 :  05:44:17 AM  Show Profile
What about in Indiana?

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  7:11:17 PM  Show Profile
Central Ohio is great, if you don't mind winter. Look at Wayne County, I know there is some inexpensive, small places near us. Wooster, the Wayne Count, Ohio county seat, has a nationally known cancer center that is part of Cleveland Clinic.

Tennessee is wonderful, but very mountainous and would be hard to farm, if that's what you're looking for.

"A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself."
A A Milne

Just relocated to the frozen north this year.
Go to Top of Page

shell-belle
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Nebraska
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  8:31:56 PM  Show Profile
We actually did move, about 4 hours east, after selling our business. We could not find anything in the country, and ended up buying a house in a town of 7500. We do, however, have about half a city block, with beautiful trees, fruit trees and flowers, a garage, a shop and carriage house, as well as our house we bought, a big brick Victorian Italianate, almost 150 years old. I am happy as can be. I am working as a nurse again, too.
We are going to sell our old house to the folks who bought our store, but our daughter and her boyfriend are moving into it for a couple of months as they are buying a house and have to wait for the lady in it now to move.
Our house needs the porch worked on, and I've had someone over to look at it, supposed to start on it soon. It's nothing major, though. I mean, it is....I want it done before winter....but otherwise, we just have interior paint and wallpaper projects. And a retaining wall I want put in out front.
Next summer, I hope to have a wooden deck built on one side, and paint the garage....red and white, it can be my substitute barn. Other goals will be getting the fountain/pool thing going, more landscaping (I think hydrangeas), and a little greenhouse I'm going to try to build out of old windows. I also found out chicken (hens) are allowed in town....happy dance! I also bought a bunch of the black metal fencing, to enclose the yard. Complete with gate and arbors.
Hubby is not too thrilled about chickens, but I think it's just swell! Of course I can buy eggs cheaper. What's fun about that?
The yard doesn't really have a garden space (this, I WILL miss). I'm thinking about using a stock tank.
The only way I could have been happier would have been if this was on a little acreage, with a barn.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  12:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your move. A stock tank sounds like a good idea to start your gardening. You'll have your new place like you want it in no time!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Looking Around for A Little Acreage NE/IA/MO/IL Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page