True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  06:19:46 AM  Show Profile
Hey Gals,
I am growing my hair a little longer these days and have decided to be at peace with all the gray. But the problem is the grays do not look or behave like the non-grays. I dislike putting heavy "product" in my hair, so is there anything natural I can rinse it in or maybe even put on dry that is light and/or natural so that the grays will be a little less Einstein-like??? Thanks!

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  06:58:51 AM  Show Profile
My mom would rinse my hair in vinegar and, sometimes, beer (!) to get my thick hair to behave. I have also let my hair grey naturally. I use an organic shampoo bought in bulk and a volumizing conditioner from Avalon Organics. I also use the Kiss My Face brand. These are both organic and I love having volume in my thick hair.

Congratulations on the decision to let your true self show.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4718 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4718 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  12:23:21 PM  Show Profile
There are special shampoos and conditioners for gray hair. Take a look on-line for a few ideas. They are supposed to tame the grays down and give them a silvery highlight. Good luck finding what works best for you. I'm allowing my natural "highlights" to come in too. I think it will take 2 more haircuts before my hair is completely natural.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  3:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Good luck. Gray hair is just different, isn't it? I use some CitriShine as a finishing spray. It gives a pretty sparkle, that gray doens't naturally have, but I wear my hair very short. I think it might weigh down hair...

I think it is awesome that you went natural. It isn't easy, but I bet you don't go back!
marianne
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  05:09:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the support my friends! So far I am happy with the color! Still experimenting with conditioners. But am NEVER going back to dying!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4718 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4718 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2013 :  05:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Mary! I too am happy with what nature has given me and will never color my hair again.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sharondee
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Sharon
Sarasota FL
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2013 :  11:50:36 PM  Show Profile
I am suffering from gray hair since long and did not want to dye my hair or color them. As after some time color would fade thus displaying my gray hair again mixed with the color. I am colored rings, that is hair extensions to hide my gray hair and get a stylish look. I recommend to try these out at Ludis Charming Instinct. For official website visit: http://www.ludischarminginstinct.com
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  11:40:36 PM  Show Profile
I went what they call "no poo" as in not using shampoo about a year and a half ago. You use baking soda and water or apple cider and water. Over several weeks the ph on your scalp adjusts to not being stripped like shampoo does and my hair became fuller,softer,more body,shinier and the grays well some seem to have gone away,others aren't a problem.My hair just got trimmed to the bottom of my shoulder blades.
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  12:23:10 PM  Show Profile
I also do the "no poo" method. Gray hair has a tendency to be drier for some reason, thus the Einstein frizzies. Also, my hair is naturally curly with large sidewalk-chalk sized ringlets and an extremely strong wave. Naturally curly hair is drier and more porous, including wavy hair. I went gray and gave up coloring my hair shortly after I finished cosmetology school. My solution to the frizzies was to follow Lorraine Massey's instructions in her Curly Girl Handbook on the no-poo method. I use a silicone and sulfate-free conditioner instead of a shampoo. I cleanse it with the conditoner twice, the second time leaving some in. I squeeze it dry with a micro-fiber towel instead of a terry-cloth bath towel so that I won't rough up the cuticle. I use TRESemme' Naturals Nourishing Conditioner and Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner as my shampoos. I have followed this method for about two years. My hair is much more managable and shiny. Personally I would recommed the no-poo method. Experiment with the baking soda and vinegar method or the conditioner. I prefer the conditioner method because my scalp gets too dry and needs the moisture from the coditioner. I do use baking soda once a week though as an extra rinse...2 TB in a 16 oz glass of water that I pour over my hair after I've scrubbed it the first time with conditioner.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  4:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for these great answers! Very helpful!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2014 :  1:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Gray hair grows out coarser than your hair did when you were younger. Rather than fight it, spending lots of money on chemicals that may or may not solve the "problem," I prefer to go with the flow. Find a style that works with the new way your hair behaves and sport it with pride!
Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  06:21:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi I am new to the site. I have not colored my hair in several years and I have a few gray hairs coming in and plan to not color my hair, I am also letting it grow long again, it is to my shoulders, then I will see what it looks like. For now I use a head band to keep the outgrown bangs from my eyes. Anyway I use apple cider vinegar, as a rinse.
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile
I found a nice organic shampoo with lavender. Am washing my hair less too. Pretty happy with the results!
Go to Top of Page

Little Sparrow
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Shellee
Thornville Ohio
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  09:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Just found this forum....after two years of growing out my colored,past my shoulders hair am experiencing gray frizzes. I have been using from head to toe a wonderful brand. The shampoo and conditioner is organic and smooths my hair. Here is their site www.hugonaturals.com

Jesus: "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31
Buddha: "Consider others as yourself." Dhammapada 10:1

Farmgirl Sister #4694
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  1:14:37 PM  Show Profile
I have heard that a sage and water mixture sprayed on will take you back to natural color. Just google it.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2014 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile
I would do no poo, and add a good Carol's Daughter conditioner, and a Carol's Daughter palmade.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  07:37:57 AM  Show Profile
I too have long hair but have not colored it in years - I like calling my gray hair "Wisdom Highlights" :)
I have used coconut oil and even olive oil as a pre-conditioner that has helped calm down my curling locks.
That said I don't tend to worry to much about my natural volume - it is my hair and I love it.
Do hope you find something that works for you - you have been given some wonderful ideas.

Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2014 :  6:28:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

Gray hair grows out coarser than your hair did when you were younger. Rather than fight it, spending lots of money on chemicals that may or may not solve the "problem," I prefer to go with the flow. Find a style that works with the new way your hair behaves and sport it with pride!

I had always also heard that as our hair grays it becomes more coarse. Mine, however, has grown in much more fine. Strange!

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4909 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4909 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2014 :  6:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Gray hair for the most part is course because of the missing pigments, but it also has to do with what kind of hair texture you had to begin with. The best thing for gray hair is to use a good shampoo and conditioner and you can get Redken Shades CLEAR applied at a salon. It smoothes the cuticle down and makes gray hair shine!!
If you color your hair at a salon, Redken is the best color you can get! I used it for 15 years in the Salon and still use it on my own hair.
The Best Salon shampoo for gray hair is Global Keratin and Redken. Bumble and Bumble Sunday shampoo, the very best Clairifer! cleans build up like medications and hard water minerals. If you take meds every day, you need to use a Clairifing Shampoo at least once a week. Taking an advil caplet will stay in your hair for 15 hours, so you can see if you take RX meds every day, Like I do, it can make your hair very coated and rough!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

lovenshire
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lenora
Poplar Bluff Missouri
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2014 :  6:49:14 PM  Show Profile
I have waist length hair and the top half has a lot of "white" hair in it. It is not grey but white. My hair is curly so it is unruly. I use Biologe on it.

Lenora
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  9:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
My grays are coarser and wilder than the rest of my hair too. I haven't had to ever color my hair and now that I am nearly 56 I dont see the point in starting. I do feel that when my hair is really clean is when they stand out the most. Oh well. I like having long hair and I like it without gel or hairspray so I just deal with it. Glad I am not the only one.

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4718 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4718 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  06:03:38 AM  Show Profile
I am using a shampoo & conditioner for gray hair that I order from Vitacost.com. It is called, Mill Creek Botanicals Fantastic Silver. It keeps my hair super soft and it is now all "silver". I get compliments all the time on it, especially from strangers.

Good luck finding a product that will help tame your free spirits!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2014 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad that I checked out this thread. I have fine hair with some wave and it has gone from feeling healthy to feeling coated and coarse since my grays are coming in. I also wondered about meds, I take some daily. Thanks Connie for the tips!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 28 2014 09:14:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile
I buy henna from the eco store that blends the gray in and makes it soft. It is plant based and no chemicals. The nice thing is that because it is plant based and no chemicals you can store the bottle if it isn't used up. My hair is about 1/3 gray.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  06:59:25 AM  Show Profile
WOW !!!My hair has been gray totally for about 15 years,,,I have never colored it and don't plan to ...however,,,many many of my friends do and that is ok for them,,,,ive tried coffee,,,sage,,,even the shampoo with a little color in it,,,did not like any of them,,,so I started making my own shampoo bars,,,even tho I use store bought shampoo sometimes ...I ALWAYS go back to my home made shampoo bars...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  07:44:53 AM  Show Profile
It has been just over a year since I quit coloring my hair. I used to wear it long (pigtail girl) and just didn't want to face that awkward "growing out the grey" time, so I cut it off short short short and then stopped coloring altogether. My stylist just about had a fit when I said "no more," but it really was a painless process. We spend most of the summer on our boat, so the short hair was a blessing, and the grow out period really was not an issue with the short hair. At this point, I am not even considering ever coloring again, because it's just so easy to get up and give my head a quick wash in the shower and then get out the door. My hair is actually softer now than it was before, and I don't feel the need to use all kinds of products on it. Ahhhhh, the joys of maturity!!!

Take it easy, but take it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic gray hair question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page