YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2018 :  08:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Sara, please don't feel bad because I was only saying whether we have farms or live in town we all deal with not wanting to but we do let things get away from us.

I have the other banana peel in dryer. I looked around for something else to dry in the other tray but there was nothing. Will grocery shop later this week and I hope I find something in the marked-down bin to dry.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  04:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Sara i would love to enjoy some of your bounty, lemons, oranges and walnuts. I wish there was an economical way to ship it. Not sure how many lemons would fit in a post office 13 dollar box. The only thing i have in excess right now is snow. Soon it will be maple syrup time though. We have not made it for a few years, but we are about out. so it is time. Hopefully it will be a good season. I did find another bag of blueberrys, when i finsihed organizing my freezer. i should dry them. I have a bag of frozen blackberrys too that i should juice. do you girls think that drying time increases when you use liners? I have plastic ones that came with my dehydrator. maybe using parchment would be better?? what are your thoughts? thanks

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  05:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I use wax or parchment paper to line my trays for easy clean up. I have no idea whether it increases the time or not. I just keep drying until it's done. I do rotate the trays during drying and turn them around because my dehydrator has hot spots.

I use the one plastic liner that came with it for drying things like tomato paste, sauce, or left over can tomatoes which I drain first. I put all dried tomato products in one jar. When I have enough to mess with I grind in blender to make a powder I use in soups, stews, meatloaf, etc.

Tomato and mushroom powders are two of my favorite ways to add layers of flavor. They're also good for us. I have found mushroom powder works best if I make a slurry like for corn starch before adding to soup.

Drying new things is pretty much trial and error until you find out what works and what doesn't.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2018 :  08:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I learned to use waxed or parchment paper from Sara here, and I do not notice any significant increase in drying time. I too have plastic sheets and a grated plastic tray for small things which came with the dehydrator. The big difference is in the removal and cleanup. Without papers things stick and I have to spend a lot of time both prying them off and cleaning the trays afterward. I'd say the paper advice was the best gem I've picked up from here because I'm not daunted anymore by the extra work. That, and the inspiration to try drying anything! Thanks Sara!!

btw what do you farm in WI?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2018 :  08:25:38 AM  Show Profile
You're welcomed Sara. I like that we are inspired to try new things and new ways from each other.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  03:11:30 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara's, both of you. I am certainly going to use parchment going forward. You don't have to try to wash it when your done, like you would the tray liners.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  07:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Found 2 pkg of precut and seasoned butternut squash in marked-down bin. Using a cup for a rice dish for supper and rest I'll dry for summer soup.

After squash it's kale. Had a 50 cents off store award.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2018 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile
I was given two large spaghetti squash which is not a favorite of mine. I will eat it occasionally but not enough to freeze so I am experimenting drying one. I like dried yellow squash and zucchini in soup so the spaghetti squash should be good too.

After removing seeds and skin I cut the squash into 1" wide pieces and than sliced. Will take several batches of drying to get it all dried. Will make soup next week so I can test it in soup. The squash will probably come about in strains when cooked in the soup. Hope I like it because I will have a lot of it. If I do like it I will dry the other large spaghetti squash.

Hope this is the end of friends giving me spaghetti squash.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2018 :  12:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I love spaghetti squash. I've never dried it though.

------------------------
Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2018 :  5:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I have not had anything to dry lately. Spring is hopefully going to come sometime this year, and then will start drying herbs and other goodies. I do love the dried blueberries. They are amazing.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  05:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Michele I haven't tried drying berries - maybe this year.

I finished drying the spaghetti squash over night. Yielded 1 qt. Will make soup today so will like y'all know how I like spaghetti squash in it.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2018 :  09:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Made vegetable soup today with dried spaghetti squash and it was very good. The squash was mild tasting and did not come apart. Will dry the other two spaghetti squash in a couple of weeks. They are good keepers but a chore to prep.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2018 :  6:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Chamomile!
I've never grown it before and these seeds were planted last year, so they are a bonus surprise! Such cute little flowers! Do you know, how dry should they be to be done? The little petals have almost disappeared but the centers are still pliable.
My house smells so good!

And air-dried parsley.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  07:47:35 AM  Show Profile
Sara sorry I missed your post. How did the chamomile flowers turn out?

I'm drying sweet potatoes for my sister today. She bought them on sale and never got around to cooking them so I suggested she let me dry them for muffins. She dropped them off this morning on her way to work and first batch is in the dehydrator. One more batch to go. Next time sweet potatoes go on sale I think I will dry a couple of batches for muffins. Zucchini and carrots are good in muffins so why not sweet potatoes.

Yesterday was high winds and thunderstorms and a tall sprig of my apple mint broke off. It's now air drying in the Yellow Rose Cottage in a shop brown paper bag with handles. I punch holes in the bag with vintage ice pick and wrote on it what it is and date. The bag is sturdy enough to re-use. The brown paper bags specialty shops have are perfect for drying herbs. With the names and dates it becomes a record of what was dried in it.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  03:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday in the produce marked-down bin I found 2 lg pkg of button mushrooms and 3 pkg of sliced zucchini. First batch of zucchini in dehydrator - one more batch then I'll start drying the mushrooms.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  10:11:41 AM  Show Profile
I have lovage and oregano drying yesterday and today. The herbs are doing well in the herb garden this year. Next will be thyme and garlic chives.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  10:32:45 AM  Show Profile
Happy drying, Michelle.

I have let my herbs bloom for the few butterflies and bees I see around. Soon I will cut back the spent flowers and harvest herbs for drying. Will get a fall harvest to dry and the perineal herbs will have time to adjust before winter. I use herbs and flowers in daily cooking.

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  2:22:48 PM  Show Profile
I just dried some mountain spinach and some mint that was making a break for freedom. My kitchen smelled so good. :)

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  2:30:03 PM  Show Profile
Jill does mountain spinach grow wild?

I dried one batch of yellow onions today. One or two batches to go.

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  10:41:06 AM  Show Profile
I dried a container of mushrooms. The big containers that are dried already and sold in the stores often are from China. After reading the book, "The Mushroom Hunters" and also trying to reduce the distance of shipping and transportation footprint on dried mushrooms, I decided to dry a batch every so often for use in the winter. I live in northern Idaho so most of the fresh mushrooms sold here in the stores are coming from Canada. I then vacuum pack them for extra protection in storage. It is fun! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  07:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Annie great job on drying the mushrooms. They are beautiful. Love looking at food that is home preserved.

I have thought about vacuum packing. Is it easy to use? Is it worth the expense? What foods have you vacuumed packed?

Over the next several days I hope to dry spearmint and thyme.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Interesting what you all dry in your dehydrators. I have liners for mine that makes it much easier to clean up.

I am going to do my blueberries that are left in the freezer and I make my own granola so I can put them in that. Never tried blueberries before. Thanks for that idea Michele!

Mostly I do apples and bananas. I had a lot of summer squash in the garden last year so I did that to use in soups.
Also did some oranges and ended up using those in a bowl to make the house smell good.

You have given me lots of great ideas!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  3:10:03 PM  Show Profile
I don't think the mountain spinach grows wild where I live, but probably somewhere. I bought the seeds. It survived the winter just fine though, growing more like kale.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  10:38:23 AM  Show Profile
dried some strawberries, using some parchement to line the trays. That works wonderful. I did cut the paper to fit in the tray. Came off the paper easily. alot easier then trying to clean the plastic liners. denise the blue berries were very easy and took about 24 hours. just thaw them out and they won't juice as much. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6811 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6811 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  10:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Michele I haven't tried drying strawberries. Should give it a go for muffins.

Forgot to harvest apple mint this morning so hope to dry it tomorrow.

Hint on drying herbs for newcomers: harvest herbs in the morning after dew is dried because their oils are at the highest then. A few medicinal herbs are harvested in the evening.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Farm Kitchen:  What are you drying? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page