windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  11:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Sara's Impressed by you both and all you dry. It is interesting how different things are harvested. We have black walnut trees. My dad will sit and crack them. They are very strong, so we did discover that if you bake them for a bit, they mellow out. We just freeze the meats. We use them sparingly in baked goods. It is a good feeling knowing where they come from.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  02:32:26 AM  Show Profile
If I'm dehydrating herbs, fruits or vegetables that i dont intend on using right way, i vacuum seal the jars with my foodsaver. I love my foodsaver. For some things i might throw a silica pack in the jar without vacuum sealing it.

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Handcrafted Artisan Soap https://www.etsy.com/shop/naturemaiden

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  02:35:23 AM  Show Profile
Michelle do the walnuts stain your hands?

A little off subject: Nut meats can be used to cover scratches on wood from same nut tree. Pecan meat on pecan wood - walnut meat on walnut wood.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  02:39:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara interesting info about covering the scratches in wood!

Vintage Sewing Machines, Original Parts & Related Book Titles - http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

Lil' Chefs Cookbook- Delicious Recipes for Toy Ovens - http://www.vintage-toy-ovens.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  03:04:13 AM  Show Profile
Connie we must have been posting at the same time. I've thought about getting a vacuum sealer but didn't know how much I would actually use it. May look into getting one in the coming year. Love how much I learn from my FarmGirl sisters.

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  03:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, I usually cook for more than one day, and so i freeze extra meals in individual containers that i buy in bulk. Once the meals are frozen i remove the lids and place the bowls into a quart size food saver bag and i vacuum seal them. I then fill our extra freezer with the meals. When i dont feel like cooking, i tell everyone to go to the freezer to pick something. Great for storm readiness too. We have a generator if we need to keep the freezer running during an outage. Nothing like a home cooked meal when you dont have power for days. We also buy larger packs of meat, divide them up and vacuum seal them. Prevents freezer burn. I also like to vacuum seal dried goods when storing them long term. I have a lot of prep food storage in case of emergencies. The foodsaver is great for preppers. Mine also has a hose and i bought an adapter so i can vacuum seal mason jars.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile
The vacuum food savers are great. DH uses them for the wild game. Just double check that it has sealed all the way. When we first started using it we found a few that hadn't sealed completely.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  04:51:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm playing PBS American Test Kitchen this morning. I was given 2 jars of 38oz Pace picante sauce so I am experimenting with drying it. First I drained half of a jar and it is now spread out on parchment paper in the dehydrator. When it is dried I will see how it does in the blender. Hope to have picante powder.

The picante sauce is the original kind and I'm thinking the chunky kind would probably dry better so now all I can do now is wait and see. It does smell good.

I'll freeze the juice, after draining, in ice cube trays and then put in freezer bags. Should be good in soup & stew.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile
First batch of picante sauce has been dried, ground in blender and it's a success. When it got to the fine powder with flakes as big as ground black pepper I stopped grinding. I like a mix of texture in tomato powders. A coffee grinder should work too.

Will work on second batch in the morning. Have to reline the trays with parchment paper.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2020 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Sara -- good luck in your test kitchen. I hope it works; freeze dried picante sauce would be great for camping or backpacking. I once had the idea of freeze dried beer for backpackers -- oe packet of beer flavoring and one packet of alcohol. Just add water. My family thought it was a strange idea for me as I don't drink.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Judith, you made me laugh!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  11:02:42 AM  Show Profile
My drier has been full of diced yellow onions.
At the end of our Christmas basket giveaway at the food closet we had 150 pounds of onions left over, many of them damaged from being moved from place to place. As I was sorting out the bad ones and bemoaning their loss, I suddenly thought, I could cut out the good parts of these, dry them at home and bring them back to give away as dried onions! So I’m working about 25 lbs through my ten trays. They are drying nicely, I just hope I can find people who are adventurous enough to try something new!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  03:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I wonder how many pounds of dried onions you will end up with? 3? that is my guess. lol I am getting a new seal for my food saver. I have not used it much lately, as it won't shut off and seal. Will see if this helps, or I may need a new one. I used to use it all the time. I would like to seal herbs and such, as you ladies have suggested.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, I doubt I’ll have more than a pound Michele!

I like the food saver too. But I do have to make a second seal sometimes because one small portion didn’t seal.

Did you find you can order a part and replace it yourself?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2020 :  07:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Sara great job on doing the work to dry the onions for others.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  03:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Food saver is actually sending a new gasket free of charge. We had emailed them asking for the correct part number. They said sorry for their slow response(it was over a weekend) and they would send free. They only charge 3 dollars for the gasket. Not sure it will fix the problem as my unit is old. It is a foam gasket, and I pulled the old one out. Will have to clean the plastic then put the new one in. Finger crossed it will work.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, hope the gasket does the trick. I like dealing with companies who practice good customer service.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2020 :  03:21:48 AM  Show Profile
definitely they went above and beyond.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  03:03:12 AM  Show Profile
Got the seal for the food savor yesterday. My husband cleaned the area where it goes, and set it in place. Tested it when I got home from work. It works again!!!! So happy, and such a simple fix. Glad that was all it took. Time to stock up on bags again.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  05:15:04 AM  Show Profile
"It works" two of the best words to hear. Happy for you.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  8:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Today a woman at the food closet was so happy to find the dried onions.

It’s always humbling to meet a person in a moment of need, expressing gratitude for simple things.

I need to try to express gratitude more often.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  8:55:41 PM  Show Profile
Sara, makes me smile to hear your onions were what she needed & wanted. I'm with you on showing more gratitude. I forget from time to time to be thankful for my blessings. And it's important to acknowledge our thanks out loud even if we are alone.

I'm watching the grocery ads for mushrooms and cabbage to be on sale. I used a handful of the dried cabbage in veg soup this week and I think the rest of the quart won't last long because I really like it. And it's hard to keep home canned mushroom broth on the shelve. I seem to use it as much as my chicken broth. I use both dried & fresh mushrooms in making the broth.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  9:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Right now, the only thing drying in my house is my skin! Eghads winter is rough! LOL! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile
I was given two large spaghetti squash. I went on-line to see if anyone dried them. Found a site and video. https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+dry+spaghetti+squash&form=PRUSEN&pc=UE01&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&rec_search=1&refig=2a0bc60753994237a5e483832ed7473f&sp=2&qs=AS&pq=how+to+dry+spaghe&sk=PRES1AS1&sc=8-17&cvid=2a0bc60753994237a5e483832ed7473f

In the coming days or weeks I will roast them and then dry. With only two trays it may take me days to get it done. Dried spaghetti squash should be good in soup as well with tomato sauce and in baked casseroles.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  12:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

I haven’t yet made mushroom broth, but I do save and use the broth created when I need to reconstitute dried mushrooms.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Farm Kitchen:  What are you drying? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page