naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2568 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2568 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile
I have quarts of various tomatoes I've dried to make delicious 'sun dried tomatoes' which will be sitting in olive oil, garlic and herbs. they will then sit for a couple of weeks to absorb all of the flavors. They are SO delicious on pizza.

I simply take a wide mouth quart jar and layer the dried tomatoes, fresh garlic, dried oregano and fresh basil leaves. I continue this until the jar is filled. Then I add olive oil until the jar is filled about 1/2" from the top. I then use my food saver attachment to vacuum seal the jar. I tilted the jar sideways and noticed not all of the air was out, so I actually vacuum sealed it twice to ensure all the air was out.

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts

Edited by - naturemaiden on Aug 27 2015 1:28:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  11:03:32 AM  Show Profile
Connie the tomatoes sound yummy. I like dried tomatoes in olive oil but I haven't done it yet. Maybe next year.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2015 :  05:21:35 AM  Show Profile
Connie, your tomatoes are beautiful. There's just something about anything in a Mason jar that makes me smile.

Today I am drying yellow onions.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  06:32:12 AM  Show Profile
Today I am drying Greek oregano for medicinal tea for the winter.

For the next several days will be drying spearmint & rosemary to add to tea mixture.

FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Harvested last of the mint this morning. Drying chocolate & Mojito (Cuban) mints.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2015 :  5:27:38 PM  Show Profile
working on drying onions. Got the 3rd batch going today. Will have one more batch to go. I like having them dried, easy to use. enjoy those dried mints and herbs!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2015 :  05:03:44 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I too like the convenience of dried onions. Sometimes I use dried along with fresh onions for a more intense flavor.

I've got rosemary and winter savory drying. I prefer both fresh but come winter and there's ice on the deck I won't be able to get to the rosemary. I bought the winter savory inside and since it is a trailing plant I have to keep it trimmed.

Yesterday I bought white onions on sale for $.79 a lb. Will start drying them tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  06:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Just now getting around to drying the onions. Made up a Tex-Mex seasoning to put on them. Left out salt so I can put the onions in dried beans. Will be good in chili and chuck-wagon veg soup.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2015 :  05:33:47 AM  Show Profile
One of the reasons I like drying is I can use what is left from preparing veg for a meal. Today I am doing just that. I 0nly needed 1/2 of an onion and 2 stalks of celery for a small pan of cornbread dressing with acorn squash, so I am drying the rest.

I keep my de-hydrator set up in my kitchen so it's always ready for quick and easy drying.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2015 :  5:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I also keep my dehydrator (actually 2 of them) on the counter. They're always on and I'm always rotating the trays.

Currently, I'm drying a bumper crop of cucumbers, okra and bell peppers. I also have bunches of wild mint hanging from the ceiling drying.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  03:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, it's so good to be talking with you again.

I don't have room on my counter for my de-hydrator, so it sits in the corner on a yellow vintage metal step-chair, next to a wall outlet.

I haven't tried cucumbers or okra. How do you use dried cucumbers?

With the wild mint hanging your kitchen must smell wonderful.

Tomorrow I hope to be drying apple slices. Got the apples ~ just need to get the lemons today.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  08:53:00 AM  Show Profile
It's good to be talking with you, too.

The cucumbers and okra both make good snacks. They're kinda crunchy and then dissipate as they 'melt' in your mouth. The cukes can be tossed into salads or even smoothies. The okra can be tossed into soups, gumbo, etc...

I've had to get creative in what I dry. I have canned so much that I just don't have the space to keep the jars any more. So, drying has now become my new best friend.

My next big project is to build a smoke house so I can dry my meats of the animals that I butcher.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  03:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Dried celery & celery leaves overnight. Celery is on sale for 99 cents a bunch. Who would have thought 99 cents celery would be a bargain?

Later today I hope to dry apples and onions tomorrow.

FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Presently drying thyme and sage from my garden. So much fresher than the store bought jars! We dried a bunch of our tomatoes (sun dried tomatoes) back in August. They add such a sweet flavour to our dishes!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  1:28:23 PM  Show Profile
Carole, not only are home dried herbs fresher you know how they were grown and prepared. You will enjoy the sun dried tomatoes this winter.

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  2:27:06 PM  Show Profile
I just finished drying stevia. I pruned back my plant which I grew all summer and hopefully it will survive the winter. Now I just need to get out my mortar and pestle and then experiment with how much to use in my tea.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  3:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Jill, I haven't grown stevia so let us know how it does in your tea.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  06:44:01 AM  Show Profile
My sister has asked for more Tex-Mex dried onions so I will be making her some later this week. People can tell you they like something you have made but when they ask for more that's the highest praise.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Catherine - I never thought of dehydrating cucumbers! I love that idea! I would love to have them on hand to make homemade cucumber dressing for our lamb sandwiches, and I love how you say they can be tossed into salads! How AWESOME! Thank you for sharing about that!

Oh my goodness, Connie! Your jar of sun-dried tomatoes is BEAUTIFUL! I would hate opening it, it's so pretty!

Ooooo! Sara! What are Tex-Mex dried onions?! 'Sounds yummy!!!! You're absolutely right about that being the highest praise! My Mom tried my homemade pickle relish this year, and now she turns her nose up to all others! She says she could eat it by the jar! LOL! Talk about motivation to do and share more good things!!! I made her a small batch for Christmas - I'll keep her knee deep in it just because it makes her so happy!

'Just finished dehydrating the rest of my herbs - Italian parsley, oregano, sage, and rosemary! Celery, too! BOY did our home smell wonderful! I have a lot of garlic yet to dehydrate, but now that the windows are closed and winterized, I'm afraid if I do it, they guys will KILL me! We LOVE homemade garlic powder, but the stink is enough to drive away the entire neighborhood when when the windows are open!!! LOL!

Also dehydrated canned pizza sauce that was going to expire... It was a little weird trying to re-hydrate it. It was more chunky than smooth. But WOW was it great on pizza - the chunks dissolved, and you couldn't tell that it was dehydrated sauce at all!

Has anyone dehydrated cheese or ground beef or chopped chicken? If so, how does it turn out, how does it store and how well does it re-hydrate? Any recommendations? I'm really interested to learn more!

I'm so excited: This year's Thanksgiving zucchini casserole is going to consist of mainly dehydrated garden veggies and home-dried stuffing! And tomorrow I'll be pulling out my "pumpkin dust" and dried apples to make my pies! SO happy the holidays are here!!!

Happy Celebrations!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  1:15:21 PM  Show Profile
Nini, how long did it take to dry the spa sauce? what temperature?

Tex-Mex onions: I made up the recipe as I went along and didn't write anything down so I will be winging it again. I can tell you what I put in the rub but not how much. After mixing it all together I dipped the sliced onions in it before drying.

Cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, ground cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, ~ anything you would put in chili would work. My base is cumin & paprika ~ two of my favorite seasonings.

My sister uses the Tex-Mex onions in her eggs ~ she also eats them right out of the jar like chips. I have a pot of Mayocoba beans [heirloom bean kin to Pintos] on the stove now and used some of the Tex-Mex onions in it. When I don't want to cut up an onion dried ones are so handy to use.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  1:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Sara - I didn't really time it. I spread it out to about a quarter-inch thick on those fruit roll-up-type drying sheets and basically dried it overnight at 125 degrees, the temperature setting recommended on my dehydrator for dehydrating vegetables. In retrospect, tomatoes are a fruit, so I probably should have set it at 135 degrees, the recommended setting for fruit, but it turned out just fine - works for me! ;) ANYHOW, the sauce did not deyhdrate hard and dry like plain tomato sauce or pumpkin puree (which I would later grind into a powder for storage). Instead it was more of a fruit-roll-up-y texture, so I cut it into strips and rolled it up tightly to be vacuum-sealed in my canning jars for storage. I think it dehydrated differently (rubbery) because of the other ingredients in the sauce, which was store-bought in a big #10 can (purchased a looooong time ago; I make my own now thanks to MJF!). I betcha if I make my own sauce and dehydrate it, it might turn out differently, but I probably won't try that until next year. I'll let you know how it goes if I do - will you please do the same?

Thank you for that recipe! I am loving it, and can't wait to try it! 'Sounds AWESOME!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  2:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini, I copied it and will bring it out.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  08:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Nini, the book that came with my de-hydrator has a few lines on drying tomato sauce. Like what you did it calls for pouring the sauce into plastic fruit rollup sheets and drying at 140 until crisp.

I've had one sheet going since yesterday morning and it's just now showing signs of becoming crisp. When done I will blend in blender to make tomato powder.

Here's the instructions given to use the tomato powder:

Tomato Paste - 1 t powder and 1 t water
Tomato Sauce - 1 t powder and 3 t water
Tomato Soup - 1 t powder, 1 t water, and 2 t cream
Tomato Juice - 1 t powder and 1/2 c water or more

Adjust amount of water to taste for soup & juice.

With a little multiplying of amounts given any quantity can be made.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  12:46:48 PM  Show Profile
Houston I have tomato powder! That's how I feel after waiting for over 36 hrs to have the tomato powder in a jar. A 15 1/4 oz can of tomato sauce made about 3 Tsp of powder with 1 scant tsp of tomato bits that would not break down. I put it through a sieve to separate it. Will find a way to use the bits.

I have another can of sauce drying now. I will use the powder before making anymore. Want to see if its worth all the wear & tear on the de-hydrator.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  1:24:15 PM  Show Profile
LOL! That's AWESOME, Sarah!!! Isn't it amazing how much cupboard space you'll be saving? I'm always amazed at just how little powder will re-hydrate into a cup of sauce! Unbelievable! And I really like the powder form because I can just add a tablespoon, give or take, here and there as I need it! You can dehydrate fresh tomato slices and grind them into powder, too! And whenever I make sauce, I save the peels, and then dehydrate them and grind them into powder! SO fresh tasting! So good!!!

And thank you for letting me know the temperature and ratios.. I'm going to print that up right now for future!

The only time I had a problem with dehydrating is when I dehydrated canned pizza sauce, which I rarely use. I like making my own, but bought a can of the sauce on sale for emergency food storage. We were closing in on the expiration date, so I figured why not try to dehydrate it and see how it turns out! As I mentioned before, it turned out more like a fruit roll-up, whereas all my other tomato stuff crisped right up for grinding; but it definitely works! :) It took a while longer than the dried tomatoes did to re-hydrate, but that was fine with me. I think next time, though, I will run my stick blender through it just to make things easier and smoother.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you drying? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page