Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Please read this and stop Dow Chemical
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Please read this and stop Dow Chemical Next Topic  

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  8:27:33 PM  Show Profile
In the nearly 15-minute segment aired nationally on ABC at 10 a.m. ET, Oz launched into a highly informative presentation and discussion on the crops that included Q&A sessions with experts as well as some bold proclamations.

“What I’m about to show you is going to challenge the food industry, the chemical industry and the government,” Oz said, calling it the new “GMO pesticide arms race.”

“The EPA is on the brink of approving a brand new toxic pesticide you don’t know about, the latest and most disturbing development in one of the biggest food controversies of the 21st century, GMO foods.”

Oz went on to explain the basics of current GMO crops like corn and soy, which are lab-engineered (a process much different than traditional breeding) to survive chemical sprays like the pesticide glyphosate in Roundup, for example. Demonstrating the process to his New York City-based audience on the big screen, Oz noted that weeds get “smart” over time and become “superweeds” resistant to such chemicals, hence the ongoing need to improve stronger and more toxic ones like 2-4-D in order to keep the “chemical treadmill” going.

The “next generation” of these chemicals could be on the way after the EPA failed to be swayed by over 500,000 signatures against 2-4-D crops, which included a letter from 35 prominent doctors and researchers against them.

In the letter, the researchers highlighted increased risks of Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s and non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma as key concerns related to the pending use of these chemicals. Currently, between 70 to 80 percent of all food Americans eat is genetically modified, and 1.2 billion pounds of pesticides is being used on these crops.

Now, an additional 70-170 million pounds of pesticides could be added to this toxic load if President Obama chooses not to deny the request (see the petition to Obama here).

- See more at: http://althealthworks.com/3896/america-we-are-running-out-of-time-dr-oz-says-while-asking-for-urgent-help-in-stopping-new-gmos/#sthash.jHBSTPTA.dpuf

GG

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2014 :  06:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info.

There's definitely a battle we have on our hands with companies like Dow and Monsanto.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Please read this and stop Dow Chemical Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page