AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  11:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!

I know that a few of you have really long hair and I was wondering what you do at night? Do you sleep with your hair tied up, down, or braided? My hair is getting so long that it's wrapping around my neck at night and when I braid it, I wake up with a headache! What is your nightly hair routine?

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  11:54:46 AM  Show Profile
I used to keep mine in a braid at night, but the same as you, wrapped around my neck and a headache. So now I just leave it down,and no headaches in the morning. Mine in a braid, is almost to my butt. But I am seriously thinking about getting it cut off.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  5:30:15 PM  Show Profile
I sleep with mine loose at times, but it is getting to a point it tangles around my neck too. I have been braiding it very loose and so far that has worked. Mine is midway down my back pass my "wings", not waist length yet.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589

Edited by - Dapple Grey Lady on Sep 30 2014 5:30:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3300 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3300 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Loose braid for me-otherwise, I toss and turn and get all tangled up!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2014 :  7:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Loose unless its hot...then a braid 4 sure.

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  05:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Mine is down to my butt (SERIOUSLY need to chop off probably a good 6 inches) and I just put it in a loose pony tail. If it's really cold out, I'll sleep in a hooded pullover sweatshirt and just gather all my hair into the hood. I think I must stay basically in one position when I sleep and hardly ever move though because I've never had this wrap-around-the-neck-headache thing ever! Sounds awful!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"Autumn ~ a second spring when every leaf is a flower. " - Albert Camus

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  06:55:47 AM  Show Profile
My only problem with my long hair at night is that DH may lay his arm across it and pull it when he is shifting. I let mine hang loose. I always wash my hair at night and on cold nights I might wear a night cap to keep warm.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
My hair is down to just above my elbows! I think I'll try a loose braid...
Marie, I know exactly what you mean! My DH tends to lay on a strand and then when I move it's a rude awakening!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  6:13:15 PM  Show Profile
My hair is low-back length. I can't stand to be hot at night (especially now with pre-menop.) I tie my mine up on the top of my head. I kinda look like Pebbles from the Flintstones. I make a ponytail right on top of my head and then fold it half and secure another band on it.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

Edited by - cajungal on Oct 01 2014 6:13:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  1:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Loose - pretty scary looking in the am since I have curly hair. I usually try to brush it before I take the dogs out - one of the neighbors might get scared!

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile
Lora.....mine is curly too. My kids used to call it "Witch Hair" in the morning. I went to a Halloween party as Animal from the Muppets and it ratted up perfect! I usually wash mine at night and leave it loose. Hubbie complains that it gets in his face. *lol* Then I just wet it in the morning, add a little mousse and voila! I am beautiful!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  7:10:26 PM  Show Profile
I don't have long hair yet. It is growing out though. I use to wear it long and didn't have too many problems with tangles but I wore it loose at night and the only problem I had was hubby putting his arm across it and then I couldn't move my head. LOL!
The reason I am growing it out is because my hairdresser was in an accident and wasn't available for 12 weeks. Then when going to the doctor for a check up they found a heart problem and had to do open heart surgery. I had one of the other girls do it and it was terrible so I refuse to get it cut till I can go to my own again.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2014 :  9:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Tried the "bun" on top of my head and slept great with it like that!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  12:33:09 PM  Show Profile
I tried two loose braids for the last two nights, and it worked well! And I had nice wavy hair in the morning, so I actually just left my hair down during the day! Which I usually don't do! The funny thing is that when my hair is this long, I really have to remind myself that I want it this long. It is so easy for me to fanatisize about cutting it short and then I remember that short hair isn't the most flattering cut for me! Long hair is nice when you have a routine for upkeep!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  11:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I will have thoughts about cutting mine and then all the reasons why I don't like it short come popping back up! Never having it cut the same twice, always different or cut really off and it won't lay down..... So far the two braids and a topknot work best for me sleeping. My hair used to be down to my rear and I wore it in a french braid all the time.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  8:18:36 PM  Show Profile
I keep mine tied back, either in a bun/ponytail type thing or french braid, I don't like it in my face.

I keep it long because I just can't manage getting into the hairdresser every 6 weeks to keep shorter styles nice. I'm lucky if I get to the hair dresser twice a year.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  11:12:50 AM  Show Profile
I seem to always have a little one so my hair has been either braided or up in a bun-tail for the past 12 years. It also annoys me to have hair in my face :) Keeping up a short style takes more time and effort than I'm willing to put in.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  07:07:50 AM  Show Profile
Mine use to be down to the middle of my back,,,but,,,since hubby passing and whatever else... its not that long anymore even though I never cut it,,,it keeps getting shorter..anyone have any suggestions for anything to help it not break off and by the way it is totally gray ....Thanks !!!

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile
Love some of these posts ! I had 9 inches cut off a few months back - needless to say that will not happen again!
My hair is midway down my back now. I have a plastic clip that doesn't break hair that I use sometimes to keep it up at night.
Some nights I braid it but most nights I just leave it down. Especially in the winter !!

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2015 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for these posts. My hair is below my shoulder blades. I have been noticing for a few years that about halfway there seem to be a lot of broken or shorter hairs. I've tried coconut oil, jojoba oil, that kind of thing thinking that my hair was just dried out. Yes, I color occasionally, like when the line is halfway down my head! Anyway, none of the topicals seem to have made any difference. Normally I put my hair up in a messy ponytail bun thing at night because I don't like it wrapped around my neck. But I am wondering if that isn't the cause of the breakage. I think I will try the two braids.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

JennieArtgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Jennie
Bentonville AR
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  11:19:09 PM  Show Profile
My hair is down to my lower back. I normally keep it up in a clip, loose messy bun, or in a loose side braid during the day, I don't like it hot on my neck.
And I normally wear it loosely gathered with a soft scrunchy, just below my neck area, again pulled to one side, so that it falls over my shoulder in front and I don't lay on it as much. I braid from my neck/shoulder area (that is gathered in a scrunchy) down to as close to the end of my hair as possib,le in a tight fishtail braid. That way it doesn't break as much when I toss and turn, but it isn't so tight around my neck area to cause pulling and a headache.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  02:38:36 AM  Show Profile
I keep my hair in braids or either a single braid most of the time. It is almost to my butt long these days and super thick; if I leave it loose it gets all kinds of tangles and knots in it regardless of what I am doing (or not doing)--even in a pony tail or when I have it clipped up it gets tangled. I tend to flip my braids of the top of my pillow so that I am not laying on my hair because the elastic knot tends to find its way to my shoulder and it ends up hurting during the night.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://rachelsmithhhp.com

Go to Top of Page

Joanna
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Ontario
Canada
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2016 :  4:40:21 PM  Show Profile
My hair is down to my waist and is about average thickness. I wind it up and attach with a clip during the day. At night, I keep it loose. I can't handle anything in my hair when I am sleeping :)

Joanna - Sister #5965
https://creativeideasbook.wordpress.com/
https://roomsandwindows.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

petersmk_9
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Meg
Steamboat Springs CO
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  10:25:43 AM  Show Profile
I find a loose braid doesn't get tangled and gives me nice wavy hair the next day. I also wrap an old silk scarf around my hair to unfrizz it overnight (bonus is that it also makes the waves look neater too).
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2016 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I found this thread interesting. . . to read the responses.
I don't have long hair, in fact, it's quite short. It's great for "bedhead" hair too!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2016 :  7:09:41 PM  Show Profile
I have nearly waist length hair and I braid loosely starting at the neck level. Occasionally I'll do double braids. My hair is super fine and knots horribly if I don't braid or put it up.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
Farmgirl of the Month November 2016
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Prairie Critter Pet Sitter
"Pampered care for your pet"
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Long hair upkeep? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page