Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Our weather has been bad for bees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Our weather has been bad for bees Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  06:17:46 AM  Show Profile
While I have enjoyed our south Texas spring-like temps for the last couple months, it hasn't been good for the bees.

The cold of winter signals to the bees to hunker down inside the hive and take a break from all their work. Our temps have been deceiving the bees into thinking it's time to go foraging.

So, the bees go out of the hive looking for plants to forage from and there aren't any because the plants/trees are dormant. The poor bees are using up their honey reserves as food and not replacing it.

Our area has been experiencing 'colony collapse disorder', hive beetles and varroa mite problems. This isn't helping.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile
I understand completely. My Bees are struggling this year. Late wet spring..summer a bit off and fall not helping and the on again off againfr. My backyard urban Bees are struggling which is unusual. Crossing my fingers.

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  7:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I hope your hives survive and then thrive come springtime.

I'm getting a new 'nuc' in Feb/Mar. I've been building my new boxes for it and sprinkling clover seed all over the pasture area so the bees will have yummy clover nectar.

I am Blessed to live in an area where we have a handful of hobby and commercial apiaries. I can drive about an hour away to pick up my boxed nuc when it's ready.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  8:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Have you considered feeding them some type of sugar water so they might be less inclined leave the hive to forage? I'm not a bee expert though I am planning on setting one up this spring. You might run your situation by the local or national bee keepers association to see if they have ideas. Our local association meets once a month and yours may as well.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  05:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Terralea, you say you're not an expert, but you sure do have great insight into beekeeping! You will do well when you set up your hive.

While I do set up feeders, there are still so many unknowns and variables. The number of beekeepers feeding their hives is a fraction of the actual amount of natural hives. Those bees' behaviors are greatly affected by our local deceiving weather.

You're right about local associations, they are an invaluable resource.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Have you noticed that bees are not the only things confused by the weather? I cannot tell you the times I've asked my trees to cool their jets as they begin to leaf out at the wrong time of the year.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  1:17:23 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I hope this weather will not result in you losing your bees. It is very tricky with the extremes we have been having the past month!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Our weather has been bad for bees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page