brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  6:23:50 PM  Show Profile
http://www.salon.com/2015/02/10/what_nobody_told_me_about_small_farming_i_cant_make_a_living/

My farmer dad used to tell me that farming author Louis Bromfield (1950's) from my hometown in Mansfield Ohio used his Hollywood earnings to keep his farm afloat. My dad lost money farming every year, he had an outside job as a quality control inspector in a factory. I only found this out when I was applying for financial aid for college.

Gene Logsdon, a hero of mine from Upper Sandusky Ohio, also is an author. He was an editor of Farm Journal for many years, and is a widely published author. as is Wendell Berry.

Is it possible to make a living on asmall farm without writing about it or having an outside job?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  8:54:09 PM  Show Profile
It certainly doesn't seem like it. Not from this article, anyway. I'm not a "farmer" by her standards, but my first priority will always be to put food on the table of my family. Preferably food that I or someone I know produced, that I didn't have to depend on someone I don't know for. I think she ever so slightly touched on the bigger underlying causes of why she thinks it's not working, ie. the inherent flaws of a culture based solely on consumption. But she didn't go into that, and really, neither will I...but it was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  08:53:38 AM  Show Profile
Most of the stories I hear is that it's not extremely profitable. Which is sad, because without farmers we would have nothing to eat. I suspect that most stay farming because they love it and they're committed to the legacy their families founded.

There's so many factors that affect farming today. Specifically large grain farming like corn and wheat. Monocropping has depleted nutrients from the soil. Then companies like Monsanto create a way to license and have proprietary rights to seeds which then affects other farmers. Then take the gmo factor into consideration. Then think about the possible links to illness from our bodies not digesting and assimilating the gmo items.

Oh my gosh, it's a mess!

Several years ago when biofuel and ethanol from corn was being increased, it created a greater demand for corn from companies other than farmers and food companies. This drove the price up. Good for the farmer, bad for smaller farms that needed the corn for feed.

I don't think it's a pessimistic view. It's a realistic view.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Had an old farmer friend many years ago. When asked what he'd do if he won the lottery he said "Keep farming 'til it's all gone.""

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  8:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I haven't read this book, but I'm told it's very good. The 4-minute video gives an overview.
http://www.richardwiswall.com/the-organic-farmer-s-business-handbook/

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2015 :  6:00:38 PM  Show Profile
My Daddy always worked off the farm, and when us kids got old enough, my Mama also worked part time...my late hubby had a truck repair business, and now my youngest son, and my younger brother run the shop, while us girls and their kids, my grandkids work our place, without them, and being very careful with money, I would have not been able to keep my place, its blood, sweat and tears, but worth every single second of it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  02:27:15 AM  Show Profile
Farming is a craft, an art passed down from generation to generation. It can be profitable but takes years of fine tuning learned skills and intuition. It is unpredictable. Never put all your eggs in one basket and always save money back for lean years. It is bust or boom. The trials of farming are enough to make a grown man cry or celebrate with unbridled elation. Both my husband and I come from at least 4 generations of farmers and it "ain't for sissys" as my aunt would say. But ask my husband if he would do anything else.... without hesitation he would tell you he can't imagine doing anything else he enjoys as much as farming. We have worked up to a moderate size farm so maybe we spread the risk a bit more. I also wonder if small/very small farmer could make it without multiple incomes even if all of them come off the farm. Most need to work off the farm, if for nothing more than insurance.
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  9:54:31 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could say "Yes, I did it", but I'm not there...yet! There is no doubt, it's expensive to live in the country! Imagine just spending a couple hundred dollars on a push mower to handle the whole job! Nope, we have a push, riding, and a rotary mower. (I'm willing to give up my push :))

I think that value add products can significantly improve the odds. The other thing that impacts many of us is geography and # of customers in local area. My 2015 focus is "building a digital homestead" and taking the geography element out. I don't have things figured out yet, but I consider the digital homestead as key to making my business sustainable in the long run.

(Great question! :))

Penny
Soaper and Not So Crazy Goat Lady

Celebrating Wholesome Living in a Colorful World
www.facebook.com/444Farm
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  06:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Penny, please explain how a digital homestead works and how it would help your business sustainable. I find this fascinating.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  2:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I grew up on a farm and we never went for anything we needed, however, I do know that it was not a "money-maker". It's a huge gamble and it's lots of intensely hard work and financial outlay. My dad was smart in that he diversified in crops and livestock so if there was failure he had something else going as well. He did it because he LOVED it! He did it because there was so much satisfaction in it for him and he just loved having a part of helping things grow. It was a wonderful way to raise a bunch of kids! It's a heritage that I cherish and am grateful for, even though as a kid I got really tired of all the chores! We learned SO MUCH about life, living, family and what's important!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2015 :  3:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Small crops like grapes, blueberries, raspberries, truck farming can provide good income on a small scale. A local farmer raises vegetables as a co-op venture. People pay for "shares" in the early spring and come out weekly to get whatever is ready at that time. If it's a bad year for some crops there are others that can take up the slack. They eat healthier and the farmer is ensured income.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  12:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Farming or ranching is something one WANTS and LOVES
to do. It never is a huge money maker. But one is wealthy in experience and knowledge. It is hard to explain so I'll stop right here. The dirt is calling me.
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic pessimistic view? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page