Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Starter dough....help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Starter dough....help Next Topic  

Aprilla Rain
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

April
Fort walton beach Florida
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  10:48:04 AM  Show Profile

Hello All...I have a question For Mary Jane, I found your book years ago and couldn't put it down for days!! You were such a Inspiration to me. I just first want to thank you for being who you are to all of us that adore you!! Secondly...can you please give me some tips on the starter dough? I followed the directions but ended up having to throw it awayuggggg
Any suggestions from any of you wonderful sisters would be so great!!!
I want so badly to make a good home aid sourdough dough Bread...

Aprilla Ault

Ashley
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru

54 Posts

Ashley
Moscow ID
54 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  1:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Aprilla,
I'd love to help! Can you tell me what your starter was doing when you had to throw it out? Also, what kind of flour and water did you use?
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  2:00:05 PM  Show Profile
April it is all in the flour/water a good bread floor will work great.The store brand or the standard all purpose will not work. Don't use metal spoons and always feed with Luke warm water, I have spring well water but some city waters are so full of chemicals they won't work. the chlorine will kill the active cultures. I have used bottles water an it will work too. I keep mine in a quart canning jar with a plastic lid. I feed her when she comes out of the fridge for the baking that day and then again when I put her in the fridge. I only use mine about once a month.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Aprilla Rain
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

April
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:12:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gramadinah

April it is all in the flour/water a good bread floor will work great.The store brand or the standard all purpose will not work. Don't use metal spoons and always feed with Luke warm water, I have spring well water but some city waters are so full of chemicals they won't work. the chlorine will kill the active cultures. I have used bottles water an it will work too. I keep mine in a quart canning jar with a plastic lid. I feed her when she comes out of the fridge for the baking that day and then again when I put her in the fridge. I only use mine about once a month.

Farmgirl Sister #273

Aprilla Ault
Go to Top of Page

Aprilla Rain
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

April
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile
oh thank you for responding, I used a organic flour and distilled water...at first it was doing good and bubbles started and the book said that would happen so i felt OK about it, it had a strong Oder but i expected that also..it just got watery and smelled bad and i just had to throw it out.i kept it out on the counter and added flour and water daily....im not sure what went wrong, you said you keep your in the fridge? i think ill start all over again and see what happens...ill try the warm water like you said. Thanks sweetie

Aprilla Ault
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru

54 Posts

Ashley
Moscow ID
54 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  8:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Aprilla,
I sent you an email. Let me know if you have any questions!

Ashley
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru
Go to Top of Page

Aprilla Rain
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

April
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  4:19:56 PM  Show Profile
I have been so busy with work this week...tomorrow i get to stay home yayyyyy...Im gonna follow your instructions and i let yall know how it turns out....cant wait to bake bread.

Aprilla Ault
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Starter dough....help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page