Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Culling roosters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Culling roosters? Next Topic  

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  2:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon. We recently started culling out our roosters. The first couple were a learning experience but I I think I have it down now. I'm not sure if there is a step I am missing or doing incorrectly since they stiffen up so fast which makes it difficult to place in freezer bags. Is that normal? After plucking we put them in ice water as directed on a info page. Is that the problem? Please any help would be awesome!

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  4:11:18 PM  Show Profile
hi congrats on your butchering adventures. It is a learning experience I can only tell you how we have done it. can't say it is correct but we are all still alive! butcher, dip in hot water, pull feathers, gut, cinge,(can't think how to spell that) pick. Put in cold water, and do final cleaning in sink in house, then throw in freezer. It is well worth the work knowing how your food was raised.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  4:00:30 PM  Show Profile
Michele, do they harden (get stiff) fast?

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  07:08:17 AM  Show Profile
No. As soon as we get a bucket full they go in house. Then do a final cleaning, dry them slightly and in bags they go. We usually cut them into pieces and freeze. But even if we leave whole they don't get stiff. Probably your ice water cooling off is why they get stiff. But just my guess. Experiment and do what works best for you . Our method has come down the generations. It works for us.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  4:25:47 PM  Show Profile
We raise ducks for food. We just processed 4 males a few weeks ago. After my husband chops off their heads, I skin them - removes all feathers and fat. Then I clean them out. I cut off their feet & the tips of their wings. I bypass the hot water, the feather singeing , and the ice water bath. Once cleaned, I put them into plastic bags & freeze. Takes half the time if you skin them. Unless you like all that plucking. #128521;

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Culling roosters? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page