Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 mini farm no more :( - UPDATE 5/16
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic mini farm no more :( - UPDATE 5/16 Next Topic  

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  11:18:37 AM  Show Profile
For those that do not know, we are a family of 8, expecting our seventh child in August/September time frame. We have a smaller property in a neighborhood. Along with our homeschooled children, we have a dog and nine chickens... but not for much longer! There is one neighbor in this neighborhood that is a "pistol" to anyone and everyone. Over the years, she has learned that we do not "fight ugly" but rather pray for those being "not nice." Well this time she has taken a low blow! She has decided that our chickens are causing an increase in the rat population that we have all dealt with for the last few years. We stayed home from church this morning due to two sick children, and the HOA president showed up. He informed us the chickens have to be gone within the week. We are simply heartbroken! My children look forward to tending them first thing in the morning and care for them throughout the day! It is our highlight to bring in their fresh eggs. But we will not be able to do this anymore! We tried to explain that we bring in their food each night as soon as the chickens go to bed, prior to the rats scurrying around, yet it didn't seem to matter. My kids are just beside themselves, and quite honestly, I want to be mean back. We have had a really hard week due to various health issues and family things, and this just seems to add to it! Anyways - I would love your prayers, please!

UPDATE: We are looking at the possibility of getting our chickens back. The HOA says specifically no chickens for "Agricultural use or as pets" - we have them for education. Still working on this one. To top it off, however, we found rat poison thrown behind our trees. We will be calling the police here in a few minutes... we specifically told the neighbor we would not put any out because of our dog and our youngest (almost 2 year old) putting things in her mouth. So apparently she decided to take it upon herself to do it... putting my dog and children in danger! yup - I am livid! So police will be called in just a few. I'll try to keep everyone updated!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - hudsonsinaf on May 16 2015 08:43:59 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  2:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, I am so sorry to hear about the ordeal with your chickens. It seems like you have rights as a home owner too. I completely understand your frustration and sadness !! Rats just live everywhere here in the South. What about all the people with bird feeders in their yards? Do they have to get rid of those? Rats love all that seed on the ground as well. Maybe go back to HOA person and ask about birdseed and what actual proof does your neighbor have the rats are breeding on your property? Instead of sad, I would get mad and go after what is yours by legal city or county regulations. Don't let them buffalo you until they can prove a direct link and case coming from your yard. Put your apron on and defend your legal rights!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  7:40:33 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sweet Shannon, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I agree with Winnie, see if you can fight it a little bit.

Sadly, if chickens are prohibited in the HOA by-laws or in the city's ordinances, you'll probably have to comply.

I'll be praying for your children to Blessed by this situation not matter the outcome. God will strengthen them through this.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 04 2015 :  06:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, I completely agree with Winnie. I have no idea what the laws are concerning backyard chickens where you live, but I would start there. I know homeowners associations can be pretty tough about things like this, but I don't see how they could trump what the law is. I say, get educated (if you aren't already), and also bring up what Winnie mentioned about the other things in your neighborhood that might be contributing to the rat population. I understand your inclination to use prayer alone, and of course, pray about it, and I will too, but you also have the right to provide for your family, and fight for that right.

Winnie- that might just become my new motto. "Put your apron on and defend your legal rights!" I love it. Combination farmgirl and activist. And Shannon, never in my life have I believed that activist and Christian don't mix. Keep us posted and I'll be praying for you.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 04 2015 :  6:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Shannon... This is so upsetting! I'm so sorry! I hope there is SOMETHING you can do! I don't understand why they would blame chickens for a rat infestation, though??? Maybe this would be a good angle - education - if you are going to try to fight this. (I know - like you don't have enough on your plate already!) Could you speak with a local newspaper or something to draw attention to what is happening? I'd definitely check zoning... If they don't have a legal leg to stand on, they really can't make you give up your chickens - at least not without a legal battle. I'm praying for you.

I really hope everyone is feeling better. And remember to take care of yourself, sister!

Winnie - you're the best! I'm with Erin... "Put your apron on and defend your legal rights!" AWESOME!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  04:34:15 AM  Show Profile
Sooooo we talked with HSLDA yesterday (home school legal defense association) and they say it is out of their realm... So we are calling a real estate lawyer today. We honestly do no t have the money for a lawyer though! We are more interested in getting some legal advice right now. We are 100 percent within county code! We have more than .17 acres and less than ten chickens. They are also contained in the back yard behind a six foot privacy fence and we have no roosters.the catch we are hitting right now up is the HOA says we cannot have them for agriculture or pets. We have them for school. Our argument is if an aea is zoned agriculture, you can grow produce or have critters to make a profit. We are not selling anything or making a profit on anything, so we are not using them for agriculture. Hopefully the lawyer will say we are right in our thinking. Wedding have the county code officers how up yesterday... Yup she called them too. He went over there first and then over here. I kinda wish I had heard that conversation, as I would have loved to see her face when he told her we were within county code!the only thing he told us was our grass needed cut (good grief it was on the list for last night anyways and it wasn't that high! We letti grown little and then cut it before it goes to seed, so we can use it as mulch!)

We also spoke to HSLDA about her constantly yelling at my children for playing in their own backyard! We have a six foot privacy fence!!! They are kids!!! I realize most children are inside on the television (we do not own one) or playing video game thingies (we do not own those either) but good grief! She even yells at my oldest son (9 yo) when he is building something, to quit banging! Really!?!? Sooooo anyways, the lawyer said to call the police and press harassment charges. Ummmm we might here soon if this keeps happening!

Good news is I was finally able to eat and keep the food down last night, and I am only having about a dozen contractions a day! I know I need to quit getting fired up before it causes issues with the baby, but grrrrrrr this is driving me nuts!

The chickens are headed to a friends tonight to either stay temporarily or permanently depending on how all of this goes! Tonight is going to be rough! We love those chickens!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  05:06:56 AM  Show Profile
She sounds horrible. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. Especially being pregnant. That is just the worst to deal with extra stress at that time. I'm glad the county code officer said you were within code, well except for the grass, which I completely understand. I don't live in an association, but our neighbors are probably wondering when we'll cut ours. We're letting it grow for the dandelions to make dandelion wine. I'll keep praying for you, Shannon.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  05:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shannon, I feel so badly about what you're going through. Here's couple of thoughts for legal help if the lawyer turns out to be out of your reach financially. A lot of counties and most cities have legal aid departments. They are usually staffed by nice lawyers who really want to help people and its either free or very low cost. My other idea is a little off the wall, but you could call the Civil Liberties Union. They will provide legal help to people who they think are facing a violation of their civil rights. I don't know if either of these ideas will help, but maybe they will. Meanwhile, I'm sending big Farmgirl hugs, and I'll keep praying.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  06:04:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! Hubby is contacting the lawyer today, so I'll let you know! He was thinking we might have to do a "go fund me" program as well. Financially we have diddly squat! We are a military family that lives pay check to pay check. God always provides though!!! I will definitely tell him about your ideas Amy!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  08:43:40 AM  Show Profile
Shannon: What a horrible experience to go through. I will pray for your family AND for her, she needs help. God bless.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  8:19:35 PM  Show Profile
This neighbor is making me mad and I don't even live there....imagine how you must feel!!

Start making a file on all the things that happen. Note each time and the details of her yelling at your kids. The more info you have the better off you are in standing up for yourself. You should not have to live your life walking on eggshells to keep her happy. You have the right to pursue happiness in your home and yard. I'm sure that your childrens' activities are not breaking any laws like extreme loud noise or after hours noise.

Perhaps find the county codes and ordinances and list them out in a letter. Send the letter certified to her and to the HOA representative.

Perhaps take pictures of all the homes that have bird feeders out and use that to make your argument about bird seed attracting rodents. And that if you have to get rid of your chickens based on the logic they're using about the feed, then the neighbors need to take down their bird feeders.

Just start throwing all their 'logic' back at them. Show them how illogical and irrational they are acting.

As a side note, if the HOA has rules specifically about chickens, then these override the county/city because you agreed to them by living there and accepting the HOA. You may have to get rid of them. BUT! You could also get involved with the HOA and start making changes from within. Get other neighbors on your side and go to meetings and vote to change the by-laws.

I hope this all works out.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  11:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of your support! We are still looking into the legality of everything... but the chickens went to live at a friend's house last night. It is now 0230 in the morning and I've been up crying for the last 1.5 hours. I think part of it is probably pregnancy hormones, but doggone it I want my chickens home! The HOA rules say you cannot have chickens for agricultural purposes. And yes, we signed the covenant to that effect. Our argument is that we are not selling anything, therefore it is not agricultural. This is what the realty lawyer has to figure out... does agricultural purposes also apply to our chickens even though we are using them for educational reasons, and are not selling anything (they do not even lay enough eggs to feed our family!) The question I guess is, is the loop hole there and big enough to get through.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  04:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shannon, try to focus on the fact that your chickens are being well cared for. As the great Yogi Berra said "It ain't over till it's over." Have faith and please take care of yourself!!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  07:27:28 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, you make a very good argument about the chickens being for educational purposes. I have friends that live in HOA areas and have been able to get special permission for their chickens and rabbits that are used for county fair showing through 4H or FFA.

Oh, I hope that's the loop hole that works for you!!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  06:06:47 AM  Show Profile
That is the one question I asked when we moved into "city limits"---still rural. I made sure what I could legally have and that the neighborhood did not have a HOA. I know this does not help you Shannon, but maybe it will help someone else in the future. Good luck in the fight.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  6:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
My dear friend... How heart breaking! I came over here because you hadn't answered my email and I was worried. For a good reason it seems!!! What can I do? Did you set up a gofundme? Are the contractions slowing down. You need to calm down. Want me to come down?

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  2:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
OH MY!!!!! This mama is getting ready to pack her bags and come armed!!!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

jackie v
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

jackie
easthampton ma
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  8:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Send jackie v a Yahoo! Message
Shannon I'm reading about your horrid neighbor and all I can picture in my mind is putting a dirty sock in her mouth ! See..the scorpion, vindictive side of me would be concocting ways to stop your misery and to get her to mind her own business. I'm sorry I know this sounds terrible but I get incredibly irritated when people are irrational and don't know to keep to themselves.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  09:52:42 AM  Show Profile
I just realized I never updated this - I am so sorry! Some of you already know, but for those that do not, I'll fill you in.... This same neighbor (please pray for her!) ended up threatening to shoot me, with my 6 children (ages 11 down) standing there, while I was nailing in fence boards in the fence between her house and mine. The cops said they couldn't do anything because they did not witness it :/ We ended up deciding to move to a rental and putting our house on the market for sale. We simply could not allow our children out to play, and worry about their safety! The house has been on the market for about a week and a half. Please pray that it sells quickly, as paying both rent and a mortgage is a HUGE financial struggle. BUT, Praise God, we are able to feel safe again, before Emi is born :) She is due in 2-3.5 weeks :)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic mini farm no more :( - UPDATE 5/16 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page