saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I had the same result with my Bingo beans Sara!
My book recommends, for the most part, 1/2 cup per pint and 1 cup per quart, with the exception of: black, navy and garbanzo, which can do 3/4 pints and 1.5 for quarts, and 1/4 cup pints/ 1/2 cup quarts for lentils, and 1/3cup pints/2/3 cup quarts for split peas.

I’m glad you tried it! We have devoured the ones I did last week.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  2:54:49 PM  Show Profile
My question today: can I process my frozen Anaheim chiles? To process fresh I roasted and peeled fruits, diced, covered with hot water and processed. The only difference in my frozen peppers is that they went into the freezer between roasting and peeling. Shouldn’t it be ok to go on and process them?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  2:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara which canning book do you have? None of mine mention no soaking.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2020 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile
The title is The Complete Guide to Pressure Canning (which it is not) and the author is Diane Devereaurx.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  03:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sara, I checked it out on Amazon and can't decide if I want to order it or not. Cookbooks are a weakness of mine and if I bought everyone I liked I would soon be in the "poor house".

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I do 2/3 cup per pint, which works good for pintos, black beans, kidneys, great northern etc. Probably a little less than 1/2 for limas etc.
When I did garbanzos, there was very little expansion, so 3/4 cup may work for them.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  08:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa. Comparing the taste of beans soaked and beans not I find I like the no-soak ones the best. They were cooked perfectly. The true test will be on the heirloom beans that have really tough skins.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  11:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Sara, the book has basic how-to instructions and then recipes to can. So you could probably save your dollars for a more fun cookbook!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I processed the frozen Anaheims from my freezer. They seem to have turned out well. The ones done with fresh produce may have held their form a little better but otherwise they look the same. They made nine half-pints. And now I have a little more room for fresh pork in the freezer.

Today I am canning some dried beans from my Kentucky pole bean crop to see how they taste. I finished shelling all that I picked and have two quarts dry beans, plus 3 cups rattlesnake beans. I only did three pints today in case they just aren’t worth it. I put four pints of black beans in the canner too, to make a full batch.

I also did something I haven’t done before: I started the processing and forgot to take my weight out of the canner! Have you ever made that mistake? It was all locked down and done venting for ten minutes and I looked around for the weight and suddenly realized it was inside with the jars!! Lordy! I had to shut it down and wait for all to cool enough to open the lid and fish it out. Seat me back about half an hour!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2020 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the canid review, Sara. I think I'll skip it.

Do rattlesnake beans have another name? I haven't heard of them before.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2020 :  07:12:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm canning hambone broth today so as I wait for the jars to come out of the pressure canner I'm thinking about what I have learned from all you.

First - sometime last year I learned I no longer had to keep lids hot before putting on jars. That's a biggy for me and it made canning so mush easier for me.

Second - no soak when canning dried beans. Wow! Talk about being so much easier.

So thank you all again and so looking forward to what new thing I learn about canning this year.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2020 :  03:28:46 AM  Show Profile
I learn so much for everyone here also. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it is amazing.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  08:48:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sara! You are thanking us? If not for your very regular canning posts, I would never have dived into this wonderful world of pressure canning!

My question for today regards the jiggle of the weight on my pressure canner. To those who use a weighted gauge, can you please describe an acceptable jiggle? I struggle to try to find a sweet spot where mine jiggles “three to four times per minute” as my instructions say. I always settle with a constant jiggle, and sometimes I come close to running out of water in the canner. But when I adjust up and down (on my gas stove) I end up with pressure changes in the jars and lose water from inside them. How do you guys do it?
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2020 :  1:05:32 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited! We are getting the last of our stuff from Fort Worth and moving it to our home in East Texas. My canning cupboard has already found its place next to my freezer in the side entry room off the kitchen. I keep all my canning tools in there. They are off limits to Hubby. I can't wait to make blackberry jam in my new kitchen listening to old country and bluegrass on the radio!

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2020 :  02:58:10 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with the move Nancy and putting stuff away. A big job. Sara, I have an antique pressure canner with a gauge. I do have a small 6 quart pressure cooker that I keep the weight gently rocking when using. 3-4 times a minute sounds pretty hard to achieve.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2020 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele, that makes me feel better.

Nancy, I am excited for you!, what fun to set up in a new place outside of the city! Are you in a smaller town? Do you have room to garden? And will you pick wild blackberries for that jam or grow your own?

I love a new adventure!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2020 :  08:07:02 AM  Show Profile
40 degrees and dense fog this morning but it's a toasty 50 in my Yellow Rose Cottage with the electric heater and steam from electric water bath canner. Got 4 pints mushroom broth in pressure canner.

Tomorrow I'm canning a pie pumpkin for my sister. Pumpkin can be canned if it's not pureed and canned in hunks like sweet potatoes. Speaking of sweet potatoes I will start canning them hopefully on Wed. Got two grocery bags to can so it will take several days.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2020 :  11:36:16 AM  Show Profile
For all of you who look for easier ways to do something here's a hint. The recipe for canning sweet potatoes calls for boiling the potatoes until the peels are easily removed. Well, I don't like handling big pots of boiling water - I no longer have the strength. So, today I washed the sweet potatoes but did not dry. Stuck each with the point of a knife in several places and put on parchment paper lined cookie-sheet. Baked the potatoes for 15 min at 350. I held them with a paper towel as I peeled them. Much easier for me. In a couple of days I will do the next batch the same way.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  08:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Sara, not that it would be easier, but could you peel them with a vegetable peeler? Or is the partial cooking important to the processing?
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  08:28:41 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made three batches of grape jelly from juice that had collected in my deep freeze over a couple of years. All 12 pints will be given away, as we just don’t use jams much around here anymore. Nevertheless, life just wouldn’t be right if I didn’t make jam!
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile
Good tip Sara YR!

SARA M, When I tried to make grape jelly all I got was grape syrup. What do you add to thicken it to a jelly?

TW

STAND FOR THE FLAG...KNEEL AT THE CROSS !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  12:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I wondered myself if partial cooking was necessary to the process. My hands wouldn't hold up to using a vegetable peeler for more than two potatoes at a time. Most days I have little strength in my hands.

The cold wet weather has kept me out of the cottage so no canning. I finished cooking the sweet potatoes today; put them through a sieve; and will make sweet potato pie for sisters and freezer.

Just when I thought I had nothing else to do my sister dropped by with 2 1/2 lbs fresh ginger in a $2 marked down bag. She said I would know what to do with it and it was such a good buy. Looks like I'll be elbow deep in candying ginger. Never attempted it. Any suggestions on making the process easier for me.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  9:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Oooo! Candied ginger, a favorite!

I make candied ginger and in fact need to do some that I have in the fridge right now. Your biggest obstacle is going to be peeling it, as we were just discussing above. My advice is to call back your sister and get her to help you! I wish I lived next door, I’d go help you with that.

Since it was both marked down and free to you, you might just take some straight cuts down each side, ignoring the nubbin branches, and sacrifice a bit of the root in the process, to reduce peeling time. Also tho, I find that it keeps really well in the fridge. Since I’m guessing you won’t be canning it and needing a full batch all at one time, you could just handle small amounts and spread out the work over days. What process are you thinking you’ll use?
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2020 :  9:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, my grape jelly recipe calls for 5 cups juice, 5 cups sugar and 1 pkg pectin. Boil 1 minute after adding sugar. Process in boiling bath 5 minutes.
These three batches all turned out nice and set.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2020 :  02:59:55 AM  Show Profile
well I happen to have some ginger in my fridge, what do I do with it?? I have kept it in the fridge, but if there is something better, I would love some suggestions. I had gotten it when we had colds and were doing alot of coughing. I made a tea out of it and it helped loosen things up. Grape jelly sounds good, I like grape jam even better. Pop the pulp out in one pan and the skins go in another with as little water as possible. cook them both down, strain the pulp into the skins, add sugar and cook for a little bit and done. there is a recipe in the ball canning book.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page