windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2023 :  03:12:41 AM  Show Profile
10 quarts of chicken stock canned and sealed. 2 containers in the freezer. So glad to get this chicken pieces out of the freezer. 7 pints of pinto beans canned, and 7 in the canner. I have a half a bag of dry black beans to go. Meat freezer got cleaned out and organized too. Nice to get all this out of the way, during winter. Sara I share your love of Coke too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2023 :  06:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I know you enjoy looking at your cleaned out freezer before you start filling it up again. Great job on canning the beans. Love having canned beans in my pantry.

Today I'll finish up canning the last of the cranberry beans. Measured them out last night (in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep) and just had enough for 7 pints.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2023 :  1:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Happy to say all 7 jars sealed.

Opened a pint of Whipple beans for an early supper. It is one of my favorite beans and I like having it in my pantry. Got a couple of jars left so I need to order more.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2023 :  02:46:03 AM  Show Profile
I canned 34 jars in all over the weekend. Everyone sealed, so thankful. Sara - must be the right phase of the moon, for us to be having such good luck. Mr Wonderful is washed and ready to put away for a while. I am a happy canner.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2023 :  05:23:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow Michelle, you did good. Phase of the moon, that could be it, or maybe we are holding our mouths just right.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2023 :  06:20:53 AM  Show Profile
Great job again Michele! What a season you've had canning. I'm sure Mr. Wonderful is glad to take a break and I would imagine you will enjoy one now before calving and milking begins.

Dawn in IL

The fireside is the tulip bed of a winter day.
(Persian Proverb)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2023 :  1:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Canned 4 pints of black-eyed peas and 3 pints of pinto beans. Again, happy to report they all sealed.

I have wanted to can Christmas Limas and Royal Corona beans but have not because they are both very large beans. When cooked they can be the size of my thumbs. Because of their size I wasn't sure it would work to can them without soaking so today I decided to soak them overnight and put them up in the morning. I have measured out beans for four 24 oz jars of Royal Corona and three 24 oz jars of Christmas Limas. Will let you know tomorrow how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2023 :  03:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Sara. Thats some big beans, do you put 5 in a pint jar and it is full? hehehe Even if you have to soak em, that is pretty easy. We just had some black eyed peas on a taco salad of sorts. So I am sitting here thinking, found some ham bones, have some split peas, oh goodness Sara don't get me canning again.............haha.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2023 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, when a Farmgirl wants to can, all I can say is get out of her way.

I have everything laid out so I will be canning soon as I get off of here.

edited to say: All jars sealed.

Edited by - YellowRose on Feb 15 2023 11:17:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2023 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Sticker shock at the grocery store. I was thinking about buying some frozen fruit and changed my mind when I saw the price tag. Bought some bell peppers, thought the price was per pound, turned out to be each. I asked DH if he would like the pickled peppers & onions I canned over the summer on his salad. This summer I will be doing even more canning. I have only made jam with fruit and apple pie filling so I'm looking for some ideas.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2023 :  03:43:13 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, the sky is the limit on ideas to can. Do you have a garden, then start by processing what you grow. Have fruit trees or bushes? Start there. Can what you like to eat. The canning books have alot of different recipes too. Also do you water bath only or have a pressure canner too. What your canning depends on processing method. Good luck.
Sara wow you have had good luck with lids sealing. That is fantastic.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  06:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, Michelle gave you good info and advice. Can what your family likes. I really like canning meals-in-a-jar; soups/stews; and broths/stocks.

I don't grow vegetables to can, so I put up what I buy from the grocery store and an on-line heirloom bean site. One of the grocery stores has sales on beef & pork roast, BOGO, quite often so that's when I can recipes with meat.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  03:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I agree with you, I like canning meals in jars too. Whether is is all complete in one jar, or you grab and few jars to make a meal, it is all so simple and good. Yesterday we spent most of the day clearing snow, after a foot of new stuff, and wind. We do our yard, my ma and dads long driveway, and my husband did his moms. But I grabbed a jar of soup, and a few frozen biscuits and we had a good meal. I had made up biscuit and then you freeze them. Pull them out and thaw for half hour to hour and bake. Simple is good.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2023 :  05:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, your supper sounds yummy and easy. Great hint on freezing biscuits.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2023 :  03:05:59 AM  Show Profile
I froze biscuits for Christmas, to have biscuits and gravy when my kids came over. I think they worked out great. It is so handy to grab a few when starting the meal or ahead of time. Then I bake them up in the toaster oven.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2023 :  04:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, for the most part I do gluten free, when I find a gluten free flour that works for biscuits, I will make up a batch and freeze them.

Today I am back to canning beans. Four pints of Whipple beans and three pints of Papa DeRola. The Papa DeRola is a new bean for me. It's a rare heirloom bean that was bred in Portugal and is now grown in the USA. I'm a bean nerd and I get excited to have a new bean to put up.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2023 :  03:46:05 AM  Show Profile
A bean nerd?!! That is a new one to me. hahahaha So how many times a week do you enjoy beans with a meal Sara? That is so great that you find and enjoy all the different beans. You teach us all alot. can on girl!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2023 :  05:34:35 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, a bowl of beans is my meal. I may top it with avocado slices or tomatoes with chilies. Now and then I may eat beans as a side. For the last couple of years I have been eating Ezekiel bread when toasted goes nicely with beans. I like to dip it in the bean broth.

Yesterday's canning did not go well. First of all 3 jars did not seal but with all the trouble I had it's a wonder any of them did. The vent cover did not pop up when it was time to can and after 10 or 15 minutes of waiting for it to pop up I turn the electric canner off and waited for it to cool down. When I opened the lid I checked the water and added more and tried it again. The vent cover still wouldn't pop up so I turned the canner off. After it cooled down I opened it and looked at the underside of the lid and pushed on the vent cover and it was stuck. Took several tries of pushing on it before it loosened up and worked properly. I added more water and started up the canner and the third time was the charm because the vent cover popped up. From now on I will check that vent cover to make sure it isn't stuck.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2023 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Bean nerd? No Sara, you are the Bean Queen!
Michele, I am with you. There is nothing better than opening a bunch of home canned jars from the pantry to prepare dinner. I told my hubby that the last time I ran the dishwasher I had 10 canning jars in there.
Also, as to what I have been up to, not a lot of canning since I canned a TON of beans and broth and my larder is full.
But, I pulled some older tomatoes and made a batch of ketchup. I used my Superb lids that I got from Lehmans. I have researched these for a while, and like that they are made in Ohio, by a family with five generations of canning. They have a very loud "clunk" sound when they seal, as opposed to the ping. Very solid lids.
And being the naughty canning chick that I am, I tried canning some of the leftover ketchup (didn't have enough for a pint or half pint), in a leftover olive jar with a lug lid.
When I pulled it out of the canner, the other jars had sealed, but it did not. At first. Then I heard the most delightful high pitched ping! I checked the lid, and the top bubble is down. I know some old timers can with these over and over. I'm not sure I will, but I might use when I have a small amount and then just store in the fridge.
Attached are photos of the Superb lids, and my "experiment"

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2023 :  03:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa, good info on the jar lids. Thanks. I will check them out. I know the lids you buy now are flimsy. My son picked up some lids in a local store, they did not have name. They had a blue sealing ring and are alot heavier then ball or kerr lids. There are times, ok all the time, i use what I have on hand for jars and lids. Sara good info on the canner. I do take the wire thing off the lid and wash that and the gasket, but I have never checked the vent. I will start doing that also. I hope you get back on track and keep those jars sealing. (Different phase of the moon ?) lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2023 :  05:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I checked out the lids and the next time I order I will try them. The wide mouth bulk 300 lids are the same price on Amazon. How much is shipping when ordering from Lehman's?

Michelle I was so glad to get the canning over and done with that I didn't fret 3 jars that didn't seal but you may have something when it comes to moon phases.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2023 :  10:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Lehmans shipping is expensive, I think it was like $20, but I had a 30% off coupon so I did it.
I would make sure it says Lehmans affiliate, because I read some reviews that said some of the Amazon lids may have been knock offs? Who knows.
I try to support Lehmans when I can, (haha no pun intended), because they are a great company, but they are definitely not the cheapest.
I am signed up for their emails, so I get notifications when they have a sale
Michele, these do have a blue ring, and have Superb typed on lid. They had really good reviews across the board, except for when someone tightened the rim too hard, which can cause buckling.
I learned that the hard way.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2023 :  03:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Sara you done canning for a while now?
Lisa did you find that it helped to simmer the heavy lids first, to help with sealing?

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2023 :  05:36:30 AM  Show Profile
Michelle I'm done for this week because it has warmed up and I am spending my energy tiding up front & back yards. Have plans to start canning next week. Probably a couple batches of beans and maybe one meal in a jar.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2023 :  07:31:35 AM  Show Profile
Sara, this was my first time using. Directions say just to wash the lids, so that's what I did. I have always simmered lids, but have read some saying that it's not necessary, and also that the rubber seal is now soy (who knew?) and can get too soft.
I will let you know when I do another batch of something. This was water bath and only a few jars. I just wanted to try out my new purchase. When I pressure can something, I'll update for sure.
Have fun in your yard!
Then back to "beaning"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page