guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2015 :  5:34:18 PM  Show Profile
Our son and his girlfriend are having a baby in December. Her Mom and I are doing the baby shower. Only about 15 on our side, but about 40 on hers, many coming from a couple of hours away. She rented the clubhouse in the development where she lives so half of that will eat up a lot of my budget. She was thinking Fall theme.
Party is coed. She is more refined but I am a flake and in past had birthday parties with themes like murder mystery and 80's music. This is just a month away, so please, I am looking for ideas-decorations, activities, favors, anything! Thanks!

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  3:32:15 PM  Show Profile
How about making a fall scarecrow with a scary face or even a skull face . . . How about getting all sorts of cheap black bird figures from a dollar store and scattering them around (perch some by the food) . . . Spiders large and small scattered around would be neat also . . .

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  04:46:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the cool ideas. Without discussing it with me, her Mom picked the time (right when my husband gets off work so he will miss a lot) and that it will be catered (which we cannot afford, good thing our part of guest list is very small). So I am pretty down about the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  06:41:22 AM  Show Profile
I know how you feel. Remember that she is doing this for her little girl to celebrate her grandchild and that is a BIG DEAL. I can see the potential for gift overload in the future. Speak with your son about this. Sprinkle the party with spiders and enjoy the day.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile
Could do a garden theme or a tropical theme. Get everyone a postcard and have them fill out their addresses to keep in touch and receive the thank yous when its mailed back to them. You could let them cater and offer to supply the drinks. Who doesnt like pina colada? Tasty, not too expensive but kind! Congratulations to your son, God bless!

HAPPINESS IS BEING A MOM
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  06:10:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all for the suggestions. Meeting with her today. Didn't realize she believes it is her job to have this shower. Now that I know that, will help her make her dream shower come true.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  1:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
At my daughters baby shower, we just had a lot of balloons and a handmade sign that said, "Congratulations!". Easier to clean up that way.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  3:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I will never forget the baby shower I had for my first chid... It had nothing to do with the theme, decorations, food, etc... But the love. It was the willingness and desire of so many wanting to share in our excitement of the upcoming birth of our baby. I say if she feels it is her job, let her do it (including financially), and enjoy the upcoming bundle of joy and blessing. I do not think baby showers should be stressful, but rather a celebration. And that's how I have focused for each one that I have thrown as well. Congratulations grandmother to be :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  03:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! We will do some pumpkin decorating like in the latest issue-thought nursery rhymes would work. I offered to do them cause will bring them home for animals to eat. and I jumped on anything I could get on a good sale. We still have to pay for part of the catering but we realized what was ordered will not be enough. So my oldest daughter and I are making chili, cornbread, mashed potatoes, and a dessert table. But you are right, I am having a hard time focusing on baby Dean!
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  09:39:48 AM  Show Profile

This is how the dessert table came out at the baby shower.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  10:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Andrea, the dessert table looks amazing!! True Farmgirl style! By the way, Congratulations to the new parents-to-be and to you, a new grandmother-to-be.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile

We wanted to have a onesie decorating station, but had seen this executed poorly in the past. We knew we could jazz up this tired baby shower activity if we put our minds to it!
Instead of puff paint and glitter glue, we went with an assortment of fabric markers, iron-on letters and appliques, as well as fabric scraps, paint and stencils so that guests could really express their creativity.
Onesies can be expensive when there are so many guests! So we have all been scouring thrift stores and clearance racks for the past month. We also purchased a bulk package of burp cloths that lent themselves to decoration just beautifully.
Hanging a clothesline to display everyone's masterpieces not only allowed paint to dry but really added to the festive atmosphere!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  8:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls, the showers look like such fun. I wish I lived closer. Have fun.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4899 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4899 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2015 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile
How Precious!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  8:53:55 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea you had for the onesies. I agree they are always poorly executed and everyone seems to have such high expectations for them. This is a good way to be creative but make sure they come out presentable.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Baby shower Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page