Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Mail Box Bashers . . . ARGH!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mail Box Bashers . . . ARGH!!!! Next Topic  

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  1:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, it's becoming a bloody nuisance and it needs to be stopped! On Sunday night, someone drove down the road and, in the distance of 3/4 of a mile, bashed TEN mailboxes of our neighbors. Ours was not hit, nor were three before ours, but further down the road, one after another. This is the third time in five months. The previous two times not so many were hit, but ours was hit on the second run through.

It's darned disgusting and aggravating!!! I know that the sheriff's deputies were in the neighborhood yesterday, making a list of all those damaged and talking to owners.

The predicament is, until they are SEEN and identified, it's hard to catch them, because they come through while everyone's sleeping!

When my hubby and I went on errands yesterday, we were noticing mailboxes in the area . . . it seems like it's a "disease" in this rural community. So many boxes look like they've been hit more than one, dents straightened out, flags replaced, etc. Many folks have put down T-posts right next to the box to impede the bashing process.

Because our post needs replaced (old cedar post that got ran over) and is being held in place with rebar and gravel, if our box had been hit the whole thing would have gone down. But our box looks pretty sad from previous bashing!

Sure wish we could get these vandals caught!
Thanks for listening!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  1:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That is terrible that kids are doing that - just for their entertainment, I guess? Do their parents know they are out late at night? I can't believe it would be adults, but you never know. I hear that someone that happened to put up a new box and filled the post with concrete. Kids tried to bash it a while later and one kid was hurt because he was bashing boxes with a baseball bat while leaning out of a car window. And he hit the post instead of the box. I hope they can catch the people in your area that are doing this.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  1:46:45 PM  Show Profile
This happened to us about 32 years ago. Sheriff's dept. said, "Oh, its just kids."

After the third time, we took the mailbox down and rented a box in town. A nuisance; but, not as much stress.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  3:05:32 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry! What a difficult predicament! I can see why someone would fill their mailbox with concrete... To teach a lesson... But in today's society, the guilty party would then become the "victim" and would probably sue (and sadly win) the homeowner! Isn't it a federal crime to hit them? Aren't they considered "government property" ? My dad was the postmaster in our town growing up... I can only imagine how furious he would have been if anyone had hit ours!

As for it being young kids/teenagers... Sadly, it may be college age "kids" as well. When I went to college, it was "normal" for the kids to drink and in their drunken stupidity vandalize other people's stuff in search of something "fun" to do. I'll neve forget when the one guy attempted to steal a street sign! My naive-ness was really put to the test when I went to school, lol. I ad come from a country farm county and went to school in the Capitol of a different state.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  3:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yes, it is considered a federal offense . . . wish they could "nail 'em"!

Three of the ten were bashed so badly they could not be used . . .however, there were new boxes mounted on posts today. Another one of the ten is a new family who moved in this past spring and their brand new box has been bashed twice already!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  5:18:47 PM  Show Profile
that was a common thing (when we lived) back on the West Plains (west side of Spokane)... Youths would drive by and smash the boxes w/baseball bats.
Then there was the snow plows who would bury the mail boxes as well as our driveway entrance... ahh, country living.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  7:09:26 PM  Show Profile
We have a wrought iron box on a wrought iron post. It has been hit, but I have a feeling the hitter was a bit shocked at the rebound. Serves the piss ants right

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  10:27:39 PM  Show Profile
I've seen mailboxes that are surrounded by a brick structure that pretty much protects them from anything. Sad that it has come to this in so many rural areas.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2015 :  09:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
As we drive around the area, we see many boxes that metal strap or metal rebar enclosures around them. You can still see the box but the basher will not be able to bash them.

Our neighbor next to us experienced a bashing about 3 years ago that completely destroyed the box and the post. There were pieces all over the road. He put in a new post and box, which within a couple weeks got bashed again. He repaired and replaced once again and, yup, you guessed it . . . it got bashed again. He picked up all the pieces and put a white flag on a t-post out there and got a P.O. Box for a couple months or so. Then, he started over and put up a new post and new box. It hasn't gotten bashed since.

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2015 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Time for some strategically hidden animal cams. One hidden up in a tree with a view of the street and one hidden near a cluster of mailboxes under a large boulder looking at car window level. You may get lucky and catch a license plate number or a photo of the culprits. I have adjusted to having a PO Box and there is so much less concern about my mail and packages --all go to the secured building even if a physical address is written.
This is the type of stuff I would take to a hunting blind and camp out until I found them. I have that side of me that I have to reign in from time to time. Go get them! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2015 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We may be talking to neighbors about cameras. Finding the best location will be tricky.
I'm sure they're hitting other areas, going from one to another!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2015 :  12:52:59 PM  Show Profile
Boy, it just makes you wonder where the fun is in destroying things, doesn't it? I just have never understood that mentality, even when I was a kid. I think the camera idea sounds great, hope you can do it!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  07:00:20 AM  Show Profile
When caught they need to pay for every single mail box and replacement costs! Our box is mounted on cement blocks. We'd do more damage than they can. I've painted ours with textured paint. Looks pretty good.

Farm Girl Sister #6566

The road of life is made smoother when traveled with someone you love.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile
Ceejay,

We've had this problem here, too. I don't understand the thrill of doing this, why someone would think this is entertaining. We've lost countless mailboxes to damage from the bashing, and once even had all our mailboxes filled with firecrackers!

I know that once someone was caught, and charges were filed (I think the family whose teen it was had to pay for all the damaged ones, ours wasn't hit then) but I remember hearing that the parents weren't that concerned, like it wasn't such a big deal. If the parents show that lack of respect, the kids will too.

It's a shame. We have gotten to where we just don't buy nice mailboxes because it just isn't cost effective.

Sorry you have to deal with this. It is a pain. :(

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It was illegal fireworks placed in our neighbors mailbox in the middle of the night that started a fire that burned our house down in July 1994!
TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT and REGARD!!! No, those vandals were never caught either!

Most folks just work/hammer out the bends as much as they can and only replace if it's beyond suitable use. A bunch of rag-tag mailboxes in our county!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile
My hubby 'fortified ours.. he poured concrete in a hole, inserted a 5" dia pole/pipe,,, let the concrete harden then added a metal rural mailbox and then built a wooden 'house' over it... so when the board teens came by, bashing with their bats as they drove by... the 'basher' got quit the surprise and arm vibration...
The snow plow trucks never took it out,,, but unfortunetlly our daughter's FIL was pulling out of our driveway (in snow),,, and as he was turning onto the road his truck slid sideways into our mailbox,,, mailbox was fine but he had a $2000.00 truck repair bill caused by sliding off the road into our mail box... Yep, that was our Christmas gift to him... thank goodness for insurance...

CeeJay,,, uugh! you lost your home and valued & cherished family heirlooms due to the stupidity of box bashers... how truly sad that there are such stupid people on the planet... hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  1:10:55 PM  Show Profile
several years back, some one "roped" a whole bunch of boxes, (our boxes are grouped together on the paved road) and pulled them all out and drove away with them, never to be seen again...then a couple of weeks ago (2nd day of dove hunting), all of our boxes were shot full of holes, and not with birdshot, more like 45s, and we are pretty sure its because of all of the no hunting/trespassing/shooting signs we all have up, as well as chasing hunters off of our propertys, it gets pretty expesive, but chances of catching them is small...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Yup, we just finished replacing ours. That was the third or fourth time that we've had ours bashed to bits.

I'm thinking of filling it full of cement and having the mail deliverer hold my mail at the po
Our sheriffs never manage to catch the jerks that do this so it just continues on and on. We are all sick of it in my neighborhood, but it's a long dark country road with sporadic houses, so it's extremely unlikely that anyone will see it happen anyway.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2015 :  4:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
There aren't any areas on this road where there are more than two mailboxes next to each other. So far there haven't been any ropings or shootings . . . yet! But anything is possible!
Hoping for peace for a long while!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  10:28:18 AM  Show Profile
My hubby poured concrete in the post too, to fortify it once. They hitched it to the back of a truck, pulled it out and dragged the whole thing, post and all, down the street. Damage hasn't been that severe in a few years, but it bugs me nonetheless.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mail Box Bashers . . . ARGH!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic