churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  09:45:15 AM  Show Profile
Evanelle is great! I could see myself doing that.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  11:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Do you think Sydney has any powers? or did I miss something?

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  11:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Yes, she definitely has a power. Read the 4th Chapter again.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  12:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I love Evanelle! She is such a fun, cranky but awesome old gal who really adds to the story. I also like the idea of the purple sparks flying off of everyone when they are feeling passionate about something or someone.

Steph
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  06:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Marie. If everyone one new what kind of power Sydney had, they would be going to her to get their hair done.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Just for fun, here is one of Claire's special recipes, from the author's website... I would love to know if anyone tries it!

LAVENDER BREAD
lavender -- raises spirits and prevents bad decisions resulting from fatigue or depression...
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons finely chopped culinary lavender 6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Combine the milk and lavender in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat to a simmer, then remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk and lavender until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Steph
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile
For thought and discussion:
The four Waverley women in this novel (Claire, Sydney, Bay, Evanelle) have special gifts. Which of the four gifts would you like to have yourself? Why?

For me, I would love to have Bay's gift of knowing where things belong. That might help me with my organisational challenges!

Steph
Go to Top of Page

kkprice
True Blue Farmgirl

301 Posts

Karen
Davisburg MI
USA
301 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  7:59:37 PM  Show Profile
This sounds wonderful! Count me in on the next book. Will there be a new book at the end of this month?

Karen

DreamsofDandelionsandChickens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  05:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Steph I love that you posted that recipie... how fun! I would love to be Claire.. She is so content with herself or was until Tyler came along.. im really enjoying this book, and will look for more from this author love her writing..

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  08:00:11 AM  Show Profile
I like Bay's ability. I tend to be very organized and need to have everything in its place. I would get frustrated living with someone who moved things around. I believe I would have to live alone.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2015 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen! It is not too late if you can grab the book or ebook from your library it is Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. It is just the escapist read we need right now. :)
I think we are going to take turns "hosting" and the host chooses a book for everyone to read. It's pretty casual, but fun to read with others...

quote:
Originally posted by kkprice

This sounds wonderful! Count me in on the next book. Will there be a new book at the end of this month?

Karen

DreamsofDandelionsandChickens.blogspot.com

Steph
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2015 :  02:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
I would love to have Claire's talent. I am studying to become a Master Herbalist and I think it would be cool to know how the herbs affect the moods and temperaments when placed in food.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I would love to have Claire's talent. She sounds a bit like me with being content by/with herself...well, until she met Tyler. And it would be fun to know all about the herbs and how they can affect people.. love that.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  05:20:32 AM  Show Profile
bummer finished the book last night.. it was a nice easy read I will miss the girls.. looking forward to the next selection.

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  6:36:34 PM  Show Profile
It is a pretty fast read, just the right size for pre-holiday rush! I finished as well, and was sad to leave the characters behind, always a good sign.
One of my favourite quotes comes from Fred, who says:
"You are who you are, whether you like it or not, so why not like it?"

How can we learn to practice this in our own lives? Women struggle to like themselves the way they are, but what do we do to build a better relationship with ourselves?

Steph
Go to Top of Page

DustBowlMomma
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Chelsea
Slaughterville Oklahoma
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to join the book club as well! I love reading. All of my best friends are in books, lol.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  07:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Woozers! I just read the part when Tyler kissed Claire and then afterwards in the garden. It seems as if the garden had thanked her after all THAT happened. After all, before THAT Claire had been doing damage. She is so connected to the garden. I still like Bay's gift. How annoying it would be, however, to see others not getting it.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2015 :  3:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Happy Thanksgiving to all in U.S.! Hope you are having a wonderful thankful day. :)

Steph
Go to Top of Page

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kerry
Alamogordo New Mexico
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Okay, my life got crazy for a bit but I finally finished the book. Loved it! I am not sure who's gift I would like to have as they all serve a purpose and all seem to come with ups and downs. I liked how the apple tree was kinda like a member of the family with it's own gift. You know, that crazy cousin you have to roll your eyes at a lot. :0)

I hope to try the recipe though. I was just introduced to the many different ways to use lavender a year or so ago and now I try anything with lavender in it. Lavender in lemonade is still one of my favorites.

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl #6712

Rain soothes the soul. Sunshine makes everything right.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  07:59:28 AM  Show Profile
I have also finished the book and brought it back to the library. I like the list of herbs and their uses. I would, however, be very careful about eating hyacinth because the aquatic water hyacinth is very poisonous. I would like to try making candied flower blossoms. I have made butter and lavender sauces for steamed vegetables. Everyone likes it but has no idea what tastes so good.

That apple tree is an interesting character. It's purpose seems to be to protect those around it and to inform where necessary. I believe that few people are ready for the knowledge it gives.

I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to the next one.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to join you all for the next book, if that would be okay. This is a great group!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Edited by - Song Sparrow on Jan 04 2016 7:05:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  7:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a peaceful and well-fed holiday.
So for anyone who wants to continue on and do another book together, the usual way a book club buzzes along is with each person taking a turn to "host" meaning she chooses a book to read next and facilitates some discussion. Since we are a virtual club, I guess the easiest way to do this would be for the 2nd and then third (etc) people to join the club would be the next hostesses. I think Marie and Julie were next on board so maybe one of you would choose a book and invite us over for "tea""?
Just a thought!

Steph
Go to Top of Page

PrairieIslander
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Steph
Nelson British Columbia
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2016 :  7:22:58 PM  Show Profile
OH, and welcome Chelsea and Amy! :)

Steph
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  04:28:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, I'm so happy to be part of this book group!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2016 :  07:03:39 AM  Show Profile
I believe Julie should pick the book because I just got The Name of the Wind from the library. Many people want to read it and I only have it for three weeks and I can't renew it. I'll still read this book too. If Julie cannot, I will still recommend a book for us all the read.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Reading Room: Previous Topic Book Club anyone? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page