Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone!
I am thinking ahead to NEXT year and now is the time to plan!
I have a very dear friend who used to start her Christmas projects on January 1st of each year. She made most of her gifts and decorations and worked on them all year long. One year she even made Advent calendars for all 9 of her grandchildren! I am still amazed that she found 24 little gifts to put in each drawer! I remember that the last drawer contained thank you notes. I thought that was a wonderful idea to instill in children early on to write thank you's!
Even though the arrival of fall always makes me want to sit and stitch and craft for the holidays, there's no way to get everything done at that late of date. So this week and next, I am going to look at my family and friends list and decide what I can make them for next year....and also what next decorating projects I want to make for the house. I'm going to have a list of each project and if time allows, start on them now...but definitely full speed ahead on January 1!!!! This will also fulfill the Homespun Holiday merit badge!!!
I would also like to create a Christmas that is way less commercial and way more simple and creative!
Are there any farmgirls out there that would like to join me? We can post photos of our projects as we go to inspire each other! I would also love to hear your ideas for making this happen!

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kerry
Alamogordo New Mexico
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Debbie,
I think that is a great idea. I will have to make time to think about what I really appreciate about Christmas and what I want to highlight about the holiday and in my home. I would love to see what you come up with.

Pokeyfire
Farmgirl #6712

Rain soothes the soul. Sunshine makes everything right.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2015 :  11:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Please count me in! One of the things I hope to do with my girls for next Christmas,is to turn our kitchen into a "baking wonderland." part of that will be via plastic canvas gingerbread houses. We are hoping to make one a month. For my children each year, they get something they want, need,wear,read,and homemade. My GOAL for next year is to make the mass majority of the clothing.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  1:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear! I would love to join in on this but I have a motivation problem and a ton and a half of UFOs. I did it one year by making fleece gifts for Mom, Dad, 1 sister and DH, 2 brothers and DWs, 4 nephews, 2 nieces, 1 good friend and her mom, another good friend and her son and a little neighbor girl. That's 19 fleece gifts in all.

Please report on your progress. I will be part of the cheering section.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  2:14:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm in !! That's the only way I will ever do the Homespun Christmas Badge. And with everyones motivation and posts I should be able to stay on task. Thanks for starting this thread....I will try to keep up.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2015 :  9:38:16 PM  Show Profile
What a very reasonable idea! Instead of driving ourselves nuts trying to jam it all in now, we simplify and eliminate the rat race. Great plan! I'm in.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  04:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I love this idea!! Count me in!! Shannon, I like your idea of making the majority of the clothing. That is an ongoing wish for myself. But, I don't seem to get much accomplished in that area... oh well. Marie, I have the same problem. I, too, have a billion UFO's started with good intent. Maybe this is just what I need to get some of them done. Like Daizy said, "With everyones motivation and posts," maybe I will stay on task

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

CindyFB20
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Cynthia
King George VA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile
Great idea. I have endeavored to do this for years. some years the commercial decorations never make it out of the attic. We do cookies and such. So far this year I have finished night shirts for all 5 grand children and a step daughter. These are repurposed flannel sheets that are almost like new. I'm pressed to finish fingerless mitts for everyone else. (late start) So, I will get on board for next year. I found that I am so busy living the "farm life" that I often do not take advantage of joining these forums. I will try very hard to stay onboard and post the projects. I sew, knit, spin, quilt, can, bake bread, garden....have chickens and ducks and rabbits...do reenactments 18th and 19th Century. I'm in (p.s. know all too well about the UFO's) Cindy

Cindy@singlepearfarm
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  08:24:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm so excited that all of you are joining in! Shannon...I love your gingerbread idea! Marie....that is a lot of fleece! And a lot of work! But I bet they were really appreciative of their gifts. I'm glad you will be in the cheering section....you might decide to join us yet! Daisy....I'm thinking this way we can keep everyone motivated! I think it will be fun to see everyone's finished projects throughout the year. Bonnie and Julie...I'm glad you're joining!
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  08:28:30 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking the last couple of days of what will go on my list of projects for 2016. I had time yesterday while I was on a hay hauling trip with my husband. I think I will make a section in my Farmgirl notebook for this project. I can have a list of projects to make...and projects that I've already started, like some holiday decorations, that I want to finish...also, some THINGS that I will want to do, as well....like spending a day with my grandsons baking and decorating cookies and putting together an Advent plan ahead of time. I need to WRITE things down as they come to me...I have thoughts jump in and out of my head and if I don't write them down, I don't usually remember them!
Go to Top of Page

CindyFB20
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Cynthia
King George VA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2015 :  08:33:38 AM  Show Profile
Debbie. The notebook is a great idea!

Cindy@singlepearfarm
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  09:36:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm in for the challenge! Although I will say I am usually suffering from holiday overload in January - I DO use that time to plan for the next Christmas coming up. I typically don't start making gifts until March - gets me through the Janauary/February birthdays we have in our family. :)

I'd like to make more gifts next year - including actually figuring our the darn sewing machine and USING IT!!! I have a whole set of potholders cut and pinned and ready to sew, just haven't found the time!

I bought all the fabric for some easy reversible aprons and haven't gotten to them yet. I still haven't given up hope completely of getting them done for this year, but we'll see!

I'd also like to get back into knitting and/or crocheting again. It's been so long I may have to teach myself how to again! At least the knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  6:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I love your notebook idea too. Not just for Christmas but for the whole year.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Lowrider
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Karen
Linthicum Maryland
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2015 :  7:00:32 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like fun! We are suppose to be getting a lot of snow here in Maryland so this will keep me busy by the fire.

ArtSeaFartSea Me!
https://www.pinterest.com/lowrider04/
http://lowriderchic.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2015 :  05:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I do the notebook thing already. I have sections that includes my favorite websites, my passwords to websites, what bills I owe, addresses, ongoing projects, to-do list, favorite radio stations, a blueprint of the plants/trees that I have planted around my house, and a list of books I want to read. I put in whatever I need at the time and it fits nicely into my purse.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  5:39:23 PM  Show Profile
I love that idea, Julie...especially the tree/plant blueprint and books you want to read! I need to add this to my notebook.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  5:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies:
I hope that 2016 has been good to all of you so far! I started my 2016 Christmas projects between Christmas and New Year's. I decided to start with the project that I thought would take me the longest...a knitted throw for my daughter. It's done in panels and then later stitched together. I'm surprised, though....it's actually going fairly quickly, with large needles and chunky yarn....and it's been a really portable project for me to take in the car, etc. I also got a quilt back from the quilter and got the binding all sewn on and thought....this would be perfect for my mom's gift! Just the colors to coordinate with her bedroom! So there is a gift checked off the list early! How is it going with everyone else?
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  6:07:33 PM  Show Profile
SLOW! I have ideas, but haven't had the time to put them into action yet. Working on that!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  1:41:24 PM  Show Profile
A couple of weeks ago I had a reality check! Someone had posted on Facebook that it was only 100 days until Christmas...mind you, this was a couple of weeks ago! Now we are less than 12 weeks...
I have been working on Christmas presents on and off....this summer, mostly OFF, throughout this year..but I am NOWHERE near where I was hoping to be. But I know that I can do this! I've been stitching, stitching every day and making progress!
I decided to do something different this year for my 3 grandsons. It seems like they get SO many packages and they are on overload. Yesterday I ordered 24 different Christmas themed books from Amazon. I am going to wrap each individually and number them. These are going to go into some kind of basket, container...I'm not sure which yet. I'm also going to include some packages of popcorn, hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, etc. Then each night before bed, they can open one book for their bedtime story. This way they can enjoy a little something from Dec. 1 until Christmas Eve and have special time with their parents. I'm also thinking there will be a package for them to open on Christmas Eve with matching pajamas to wear while waiting for Santa to come that night. I'm loving the idea of family time every evening over the idea of buying more TOYS that they don't need!

How are all of you doing with the holiday planning????
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  06:49:54 AM  Show Profile
debbieklan - You will have so much fun with the book idea! We have a large collection of holiday books already and it is fun to pull them back out again each year!

I am hip deep in my Christmas prep for 2016 I always start early, primarily on the hand crafted gifts. I've made several ornaments, embroidered some flour sack towels, etc.

I have a bunch left to complete and will be kicking into high gear now since it getting way too close to Christmas for my crafting comfort!

I think I can get most of it done!

I'm making some toys for my son, some dress up items for him - a wolf mask and tail, some other masks (he's 6 and still likes pretending!) and I have a few gifts to make for his teacher, teacher's aides.

I'm doing several Christmas Breakfast Gift Baskets this year - filled with home canned goodies, DIY pancake, bread and cookie mixes, etc. I'll line with one of the flour sack towels I embroidered, add in a bottle of 100% maple syrup and there you have it! :)

I'm thinking of ordering a wooden Advent calendar for this year - love the thank you note idea! Will do that either way!

I'll stop for now - but could talk Christmas prep all day!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Oct 07 2016 06:50:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  7:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Our chapter is exchanging hand made gifts. I am working on doing quite a few this year. I try to simplify my list and tone things down; so I'm interested in this project. My whole idea is to have some moments where one can stop and enjoy the season, family and friends and not be so stressed.....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  07:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Debbie - I wrap Christmas books as well as movies for my kids each year. During the day we open the book and do a craft that is planned to go with it, and then in the evening we watch the movie. Fun times!

Trying to move is causing issues with planning for Christmas!!!!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  02:43:25 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea.
My problem is Soo many dream projects, half finished projects, and many promises to myself to make that special gift, and then letting my crafting time slip away.

This would be my first Crafty Christmas Year- and I definitely would love to see what other people are doing. And maybe digging out those half finished projects for 2017!!

I would enjoy participating with you all this year.
Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  02:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, I just read all of the posts. I can see why MJF is a Sisterhood! We have so many things in common!

I love the various note book ideas. A few years back I started one for my badge work.. okay I don't even have my Chicken badge embroidered yet ( Did I mention a little problem with Procrastination/ Attention Deficit ??). would journal my badge experience and add pictures or drawings to each one. And of course add some magazine or internet articles with information for future badges or levels. Again, my badges and notebook have been silent too long.

I keep forgetting that our time is finite. What is important is the memories we share with friends and families. The little things we will make this next year are symbols of our love and friendships. No matter how many or how few our projects-- We are sharing ourselves with the people we love.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  10:09:27 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you, Mary! Some of my most special memories of holiday gifts are the ones that my grandmothers made for me. I still have some of them. It makes a person feel special when they know that another took the time to make something just for THEM.
I think picture sharing is a great idea! I hope to have my daughter in law's gift done this week....I will post a photo!
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  10:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, I love the craft and movie idea!!! I can imagine your moving/waiting to move is frustrating :(
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic 2016 Homespun Christmas Challenge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page