Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Suggestions for Assisted Living staff gifts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Suggestions for Assisted Living staff gifts? Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  04:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

Do any of you or your family members/friends work in an assisted living facility and would have suggestions for a USEFUL gift our family can give staff members where MIL is newly residing?

I got the great suggestion of making up little gift bags for what seem like the casts of thousands who are in and out of her room each day. Honestly, on a weekly basis there are at least 15 who interact with her on a regular basis, so the little gift bags of goodies was a great suggestion. BUT if you have others, please share.

The one I would most like to give a thoughtful, useful gift to is the Health Service person who worked really hard to coordinate MIL's care plan and managed to create it with all MIL's really weirdo eccentricities (redundant?) in mind.

One of the reasons I am struggling wth this is we just moved her in this past week so we don't really know the staff to know any hobbies, etc or that kind of info to personalize a gift.

I'll admit - and I have a feeling I am not alone here - I am not a big fan of gift cards when it is possible to do something personal. This is why I am asking you - you might know something job-related that a Personal Care Health Aid would love to get.

So all that being said, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cindy

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6785 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6785 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  05:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, since she is new there and hasn't formed relationships with the staff a snack/sweet tray for each shift would be nice. You have a little time to get an idea what the Health Service person would like.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I work for a doctor’s office and most of the time we get large items of something to share. Such as a patient will make bread and bring the whole loaf for us to cut and share. This works really well because then we know that we are appreciated for all our work but doesn’t require them to make something individual for all of us. I would never expect them to take that kind of time. And since around 15 people come in contact with her a day a large item to share would be perfect. Also treats are wonderful over gift cards. I can’t express enough how nice it is to have a delicious snack while you are working. You just simply can’t eat a gift card and most cards go unused.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile

Some thing like this maybe?

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  7:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Diana, what a great looking tray of goodies.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  04:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Thank you for these outstanding suggestions!

I have a sister-in-law local to the facility where MIL is, and I think she'd love to take on the challenge of recreating that fabulous turkey tray :) It is his little feet that make it extra cute

Thanks,
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  06:06:32 AM  Show Profile
I make a similar turkey every year :) We also make a Christmas tree with veggies (broccoli for the tree, peppers for garland and star, cherry tomatoes for bulbs, and pretzel sticks for the trunk... Oh and cauliflower for the snow). There are also cheese cube trees and turkeys.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6677 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6677 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  5:58:38 PM  Show Profile
That turkey tray is so cute! I think it will be a perfect hit for the staff! Or even going with one of those Christmas veggie trays that Shannon suggested would be great.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4885 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4885 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile
Diana! That Turkey Tray is "Groovey" as we use to say back in the day! LOL!! "Gobble, Gobble!"

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2015 :  07:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, did you serve the 'turkey' tray? Or something else? How'd it go?

When my mom was in ICU and other hospital departments, I did various things depending on how long she had been in that department and the level of relationship that was formed. Gift baggies, cakes, cookies, and one time, I set up in the break room and made a pot of gumbo and served it to the staff when they came in for lunch/supper.

I also gave gift cards to Starbucks. It can seem impersonal, but in reality, who doesn't love getting a little spending money?

One thing I wanted to do, but never actually did it.....I wanted to hire a mobile masseuse to set up in the break room and give the staff quick massages all day long. It was gonna be pricey but I thought it was kinda unique and creative.

You're a wonderful DIL and caregiver!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Suggestions for Assisted Living staff gifts? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page