New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Lights Out by Ted Koppel Next Topic  

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  8:13:45 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading this a few weeks ago - has anyone else read it, and would like to discuss!

I'm thoroughly convinced now of the vulnerabilities of the power grid, and the inability of our government to address a problem - but it was also quite a bit of letdown that Koppel didn't really touch on what average people can/should do once those two facts are accepted...

http://www.apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  10:02:11 AM  Show Profile
I haven't read it yet. It's on my list mostly because I've read lots of that type of book.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2015 :  7:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
This sounds like a great book to buy my son-in-law for Christmas.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I heard Mr. Kopel speak about his research and his book on NPR. The things he had to say about the likelihood of grid power grid problems and the lack of government planning to deal with such a situation were very concerning.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Do you know if there's a recording of his NPR talk? Would love to take a listen to that.

I just wish that he had given us a place to start in terms of resources for what average citizens can do to be prepared, and act as agents of change in our communities to bring the issue to the forefront of public awareness so that we can address the problem.

It was very easy to walk away from that book feeling hopeless - there's a good change this kind of scenario can happen, the calvary (i.e. government) isn't going to be riding in to fix it and help people when it does, so... it's hopeless. It's been fun while it lasted...

But I refuse to believe that we have no hope, even if a worst-case scenario were to occur. A couple of good books to follow up Lights Out are Just in Case by Kathy Harrison and Survival Mom by Lisa Bedford. Better Off by Eric Brende is also an engaging read, about a couple that lived in the manner of the Amish for a year.

Now is our moment as a society - we need to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels significantly and quickly, and use what we've got now to develop sustainable technology that will carry us forward. Using it up until it's all gone is just not an option. That makes us now better than a parasite and I refuse to believe that is our collective destiny..

http://www.apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Lights Out by Ted Koppel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page