Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 2016 Temperature Quilt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2016 Temperature Quilt Next Topic
Page: of 4

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
NOTE: Measurements of cut squares have been corrected. If you find any more errors, please let me know.

I am starting a thread that is the quilter's version of the knitted/crocheted Temperature Blanket thread that Ruthie posted. This is NOT a swap - you will be making this quilt for yourself, since the temperatures in your area would be different from other farmgirls.

You keep track of the temperatures for each day of 2016. There will be 366 days, and there are several ways you can make this quilt.

Each temperature range has a color (according to the charts on weather maps):
0 and below -pink
0-10-light purple
11-20-dark purple
21-30-dark blue
31-40-light blue
41-50-dark green
51-60-light green
61-70- bright yellow
71-80-orange
81-90-light red
90-100-dark red
over 100- burgundy
Or you can make up your own color chart.

Your quilt can just be squares of fabric that are predominantly one of the chart colors for that day. Or it could be made up of quilt blocks using different patterns. Each color could be a variety of scrappy fabrics, not only one fabric. Here are my quick brainstorm ideas (only suggestions), and I am considering to do one of these ideas:

Square a day
For one square a day that would be 366 blocks. A quilt with blocks cut 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square would yield a quilt 31x12 blocks which would make a wall-hanging of 62" x 24", which is quite a bit wider than long, but with 4-6" borders, this makes a great bed runner quilt. But if you use rectangles cut 2-1/2" x 5-1/2" (finished to 2"x5"), and place them with the 2-1/2" across the width, your quilt would be 62" x 60" before borders, a nice size for a bed quilt. You can cut your squares ahead of time from your stash and sort them in baggies according to the list of colors. Add a nice border and you have a wall-hanging or full- to queen-size quilt. This is probably the easiest.

Block-a-Week
Another idea for the quilt could be a block a week, which would be 52 blocks. Each block could be a combination of the temperature colors for the 7 days in that week. Some weeks might have mainly one color, other weeks up to 7. (LOL! Wouldn't that be a week!) It would be a scrappy quilt that could be 8 blocks x 7 blocks (with 4 neutral setting blocks in the corners) with each block being a different quilt pattern. If you want a wall-hanging you would make the blocks 4-1/2" unfinished, so they finish at 4" square. For a bed-size quilt, I'd probably make these blocks to finish at 10" square (10-1/2" unfinished), which would make the quilt 70" x 80" before adding a border. This would be easiest to use simple block patterns, but could be as complicated as you like. What a great sampler quilt.

Remember - you are on your own for this, but I'd love to see several farmgirls join in. We can post our monthly finished strips/squares/blocks and see what others are doing.

A great site to go to for block patterns is www.quilterscache.com.
Sooooooo - Who is with me on this?

Signups: NOTE: When you sign up you are in no way obligated to complete this. LOL! This is just a fun project.

Linda (quiltee)
Sara (Yellow Rose)
RuthieAnn (ruthie218)
Shannon (hudsoninaf)
Mel (Kirksmom71)
Judith (forgetmenot)
Tamara (GrammyTammy)
RoDonna (kymomma4)

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 07 2016 9:05:54 PM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I'm in. Can't wait to get started on my crazy temperature quilt/wall hanging. All dark greens for the coming week except for one light green.

Hint: Get weekly temperatures off computer and list the colors. I'm using Month pages in MaryJane's planner.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm thinking this is a great idea for kids to do - I want my grandkids to do this. It is a weather project to keep track of the temperatures and I have loads of scraps they can sort through to pick out the colors.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  09:41:53 AM  Show Profile
I am too going to make a quilt blanket as well as my crocheted blanket. I am going to do mine as a hand quilted english paper piecing/hexagon quilt. I am so excited to be able to use up alot of my scraps. Now to figure out what size to make the hexagons ,what I can make depends on that size of hexagons so many things to think about. Well better get started.

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for joining, Ruthie!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:19:09 AM  Show Profile
I am going to TRY to keep up with this! What is the site to check out different blocks???

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
oops - Thanks for joining, Shannon. The site for great blocks is www.quilterscache.com.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm hoping this doesn't end up a UFO. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:44:26 AM  Show Profile
Hush your mouth, Linda.

Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try to keep up but if I can't I will plan to finish my on Saturday of that week. But I think if I set aside a hour a day I will be able to get done just not sure what I can make with 366 hexagons plus a few extra for snow days. So hoping my mine won't be a UFO!!!

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a WONderful project, Ruthie. I can't wait to see it.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I know you will keep me in line, Sara. I'm going to do the squares, so now all I need to do is CUT them all. LOL! I even thought about doing a scrappy 4-1/2" squares one, too, but if I get my grandsons to do this, that most likely won't happen.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 31 2015 10:58:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  11:32:16 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do the crochet or quilt temperature blanket and I have to be realistic about it. So not this year. I like the idea of the hexagons. Perhaps on the snowy and, perhaps, rainy days, one can embroider stars inside the blocks or maybe outline them with some lace. I will be checking in with to see the creativity.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  4:30:10 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any idea if I'll finish this but I shall commit........hopefully I don't end up 'committed'....Ha, Ha, Ha !!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  4:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Just join us in the padded room.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  4:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Mel -
I see you are in Dallas? I moved to east Texas from Richardson. LOL! Nice to meet other Texas farmgirls.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  4:48:56 PM  Show Profile
I was born in Dallas and moved to Sherman area in 1975 and to Paris in 2011. Maybe all Texas roads do run through Dallas after all. lol

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Linda.....I live off Spring Valley just east of I-75 and Richardson. Smaaaaaaaaalllll world! I think you may be right, Sara! :)

When my Granddaughter, Sarah, visited from New York last year, I took her to see the Eiffel Tower replica so she could tell her friends she went to Paris on vacation!

My best to all,
Mel
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Me, too! I lived caddy-corner from the Kroger at Centennial and Grove. My long-arm quilter lives somewhere near you I think. Really small world.

That is a neat Eiffel Tower. Don't know why it is in Richardson and not in Paris, TX.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Actually the Eiffel Tower is in Paris, Tx. That's the Kroger I shop at!!! Just today as a matter of fact........

My best to all,
Mel
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Maybe at some point we were at Kroger at the same time. LOL!

Oh, OK! I haven't seen that one,and I've been in Paris, TX, twice so far. There is another tower that looks like a very small Eiffel off Renner Road (I think) in Richardson.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 31 2015 5:30:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:41:46 PM  Show Profile
http://rachel-thelifeofriley.blogspot.com/2013/12/temperature-quilt-details.html

http://www.liveacolorfullife.net/2015/05/tale-of-two-cities-temperature-quilt.html

Here's a blogger who designed her own Temperature quilt.
And her friend who adapted it to her own idea.

My best to all,
Mel

Edited by - Kirksmom71 on Dec 31 2015 5:49:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  5:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Omgosh, Ruthie! You got me at hexies! Please, sign me up, Linda! It will either be a very productive year or two more UFO's. I still would like to do the weaving. (probably end up a rug!)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2015 :  6:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Linda & Mel I never lived in Richardson but in the 60s & 70z I did work at TI for 3 years and Collins Radio for 12.

1 for the money - 2 for the show - 3 to get ready - and 4 to go - 1st block starts tomorrow!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
I took a break from cooking to work on this week's block. It's done. One 4 1/2" square of dark green overall pattern with a 1 3/4" circle of solid light green in right bottom corner. Attached the circle with dark green embroidery thread using a running stitch. A multi-green square button in center of circle. I like the idea of a crazy quilt pattern. Wonder what I will come up with for next week's block. Until spring I know it will be a lot of green.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2016 :  12:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sounds interesting . . . will look forward to what your girls create.
Nope, I'm not able to participate, but will be peeking in!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2016 Temperature Quilt Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page