Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic 49 and under Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 36

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  5:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Mom is still in the hospital. She is sounding better though!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  03:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, good to hear she's sounding better!

Feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I got the dough for the cookies made and dyed. The cookies are actually for my sons birthday party on Saturday. I love traditions, usually, but right now, they're just annoying me. I'm going to make the soda bread today before we leave for the St. Patrick's day fun at the parks and rec center. Hopefully I can snap out of my bah humbug.

I think I'll go put on some Irish tunes and see if that helps. :) Happy St. Patrick's day!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  04:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Big hugs to you, Erin :) Wish I was there to help you get out of the "bah humbug" and to help you out with things around the house.

Alicia - glad to hear your mom is sounding better! Will continue praying for her.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  09:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, I honestly haven't heard of zones but from what I just looked up it looks like a zone 6b. My dad is helping me get everything started and we are trying to get as close to May 15 as possible. That is when we have our last freeze. I want to make sure I keep my plants alive!! I'm glad to hear your mom is doing better.

Happy St. Patrick's Day ladies!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  10:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

I start plenty of early crops this time of year, Krista. If there is a freeze warning, I cover everything fro the night with a big drop cloth. :) The reasoning being that if you wait until Mid May, some things will not tolerate the heat; lettuces, spinach, radishes, etc... If you need to wait on those due to having everything ready to go, you might consider planting with some afternoon shade.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  8:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Mom went home today(she is still very sick), but my grandma went in... :(

St. Patrick Lunch pictures on my blog! I can't get one to load. https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/happy-st-patricks-day/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2016 :  11:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the tips, Alicia! Oh dear. What's wrong with your grandma?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2016 :  12:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Alicia - I loved reading your blog!! Please share with us when you post next! I'll be praying for your Grandma - what is wrong with her? Praising the Lord you mom is home! and praying for your mom's continued recovery.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2016 :  06:36:33 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, I'm glad your mom is home. I'll pray for your grandma :( I enjoyed your blog post!

Today I have to whip my house into shape for Connor's birthday party at four. My mom and brother are here from Chicago. My sister is coming sometime today. The kids cousin slept over last night. We have a full house, and me and jason both have some kind of cold... maybe allergies. :( We had wine night last night, early because we weren't feeling that great. I got some local honey and we started 2 gallons of mead. This is our first attempt at mead so hopefully it turns out ok. I'm getting a bit of a late start today, but I need to go get breakfast going for the gang.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2016 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
My grandma has severe COPD. And blood pressure that spikes and bottoms out. She spends about 1/3 of a month in the hospital anymore it seems. I am so worried about her.

Have fun with the party today Erin!

I could use some prayers. I will spare the details, but I am not in a good place right now, mentally.

I am so glad you enjoyed my blog Joyce!

Edited by - DandeeRose on Mar 19 2016 08:52:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  03:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, I'm so sorry. I'll pray for you. If you ever want to talk you can PM me. That goes for anyone. Just throwing that out there.

Connor's party was a lot of fun. He's the most introverted of my three kids so it's fun and rare for him to be the center of attention. I have an appt with my midwife this morning. I was supposed to get blood work done. Haven't done it yet, but I'm going right after my appt, so hopefully she's not too upset with me! I'm such a procrastinator...

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  05:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Erin - thank you so much for the offer!! That is very sweet of you. I would like to put that out there too - I think it's so important to be able to support each other in any way possible. If anyone needs to chat - PM me and we can even call or Skype each other and chat.

Alicia - I'm praying for you.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
<3! :)

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  11:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Erin, I am happy to hear your party was a success. I hope you’re not coming down with a cold. Also, I don’t blame you for procrastinating blood work. It’s the worst thing! I avoid it at all costs.

Erin and Joyce, you both are so sweet. I agree. We really need to support each other any way we can, especially for those in need. I am available to talk as well if any of you would like. I too have Skype or Face Time. I can’t make any promises that you wouldn’t laugh at how funny I look that day, but that may actually make your day!

Alicia, I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope she recovers soon and can begin doing better. Keep your head up! We are all here for you. Don’t hesitate to contact one of us!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2016 :  4:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Well, I just lost two hens. :(

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  05:45:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh how sad! What happened? I'm so sorry to hear that!

I'm sitting in my craft room right now and it is out of control! Seriously I should post a pic of it. I can't stand having stuff everywhere. Good thing I'm about to have four kids... Lol.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I still am figuring it all out....but I think Gabriel and sawyer conspired to get in the pen (letting Araya, our German Shep in) and torture the chickens. This got Araya excited we guess. We didn't even know she had been in the pen. Gabriel said that a chicken trapped out there, so when Isabelle went to investigate she found a stone cold hen and one half dead. Matt found a puncture in her neck. Araya canine sized.

Good luck Erin! My whole house seems to be like that. :/

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  12:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh no, Alicia. I am so sorry. That's the big reason why my husband says no chickens right now. He's afraid our dog will get them.

Erin, I feel the same way! I feel like I am exploding at the seams.. I am in desperate need of spring cleaning!! Good luck with your craft room.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

BellaSticks
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Nicole
Chicago Illinois
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2016 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! I will be 33 in June this year :)

Nicole
Farmgirl #6762
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  04:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole! I'm from the Chicago suburbs, but I live in rural Indiana now. My brother and sister live in Chicago. My mom is in Geneva. Welcome to our little group!

Alicia, I'm sorry about your hens :(

Krista, I'm worried about that too. We have a malamute, and a mala-mutt (as I like to call her), and I'm pretty sure chickens would drive them nuts. The dogs are mostly outdoor. With the new land we're getting, we're planning to put a dog yard, fenced in right behind out house. The chickens would go on the opposite corner. We're still going to get some, but I am nervous about it.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  05:21:46 AM  Show Profile
we were terrified our german shepherd was going to eat our chickens.... we had two coops that we moved daily. She would sit out side of them and watch them. For the smaller coop, we had to keep one "PTSD" chicken separated in the run... the other chickens had attacked her one day, and after that, if another came near her, she would just roll up in a ball and wait for them to do it again! Anyways, the one day the kids must have left her door unlocked... the dog pushed the door open, walked in, and then followed the chicken out.... it was like that silly chicken had her on a leash the whole time, the way she followed it around.

I think if you teach the dogs to "leave it" which is the command we use, they are less likely to attack.... and I think a lot of times they are not trying to kill the chickens, but rather the chickens act crazy, so they pursue in chase. After giving our chickens to a friend before we moved here, they were attacked by two dogs... those dogs attacked them for food and there was very little left of the two they got ahold of! It sounds like Alicia's dog was trying to play with them, not hurt/kill them.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  11:19:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Shannon. I think dogs just want to play and don’t realize how rough they are. When I watch my dogs play they do bite each other on the neck. So my guess is that it was an accident.

Erin, it’s my malamute my husband worries about to. She can be very pushy sometimes.

Welcome Nicole. Glad to have you join us. How are things going for you?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

BellaSticks
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Nicole
Chicago Illinois
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  5:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the welcome, everyone. I am excited to hear more about your gardening and farming adventures. For 3 years we had a 4'x8' community garden plot that was a raised bed on a parking lot next to the L station! It was interesting, but I learned that you can produce quite a bit of food in a small plot over the season. My favorite things to grow were black prince tomatoes - the people who would steal from our garden didn't know what they were because the tomatoes would be green then turn a deep purple/black color pretty quickly. They were SO DELICIOUS! I think I still have some seeds I saved so I can grow them again. Our community garden was demolished when a new owner bought the building with our lot, so I'll be trying to grow some herbs and lettuce on my back porch. Living in the city is fatiguing and I need to be more connected to nature. I have a very strict diet for health reasons and I should be growing most of my own food. Someday I want to have my own homestead and live as self sufficient as possible. I'm excited to be more active on here and I love getting to know everyone!

Nicole
Farmgirl #6762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2016 :  7:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole! Welcome to our little group :) I've never heard of black prince tomatoes. I'll have to look into those! It amazes me how many of us have health issues and have to look to our food as a type of medicine! Looking forward to getting to know you :)

You know it is interesting about all this talk about dogs... this is the very reason I will not leave my youngest on the floor with the dog! The others are quite quick to correct the dog if she is being too rough, even Aly, but for obvious reasons, Emi is too little! Speaking of Emi - keep her in your prayers! We knew with us having chorioamniotitis there was a risk of delays with Emi... looks like we may be dealing with some. Nothing major as of yet, but at 7 months, she still does not say any repeating sounds, nor does she sit on her own. But every child i different and does things on their own time...

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  06:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Nicole!! I'm so excited you joined us :) I'd love to hear more about you...

I'm glad you guys brought up dogs, as we are looking at getting a dog in the late spring/early summer. Shannon - I most appreciated your advice to teach your dog to "leave it" - which I will make sure to do. We get 96 Plymouth Rock chickens at the end of June, and we have 3 Columbia Rock's right now.

It's been busy here...Tyson had his birthday last week (tractor theme) Lily-anne (our now 10 year old daughter!) has one today (sewing theme - she got a sewing machine!) and then Tyson leaves tomorrow for 2 months :(

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Gathered Up: Previous Topic 49 and under Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page