Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic UPDATED: Need Ideas Next Topic  

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  7:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
I am closing on an old farm house on Feb. 29th. The 1/2 acre it is sitting on is beautiful. My friends and family tell me to just tear the house down and buy a trailer or modular to put on the property but I don't have it in me to destroy something that has been there since 1903. So.....I need ideas on how to fix it up on a budget. I appreciate any thoughts.

"Her wings were ready buy my heart was not: In Memory of my baby girl Elizabeth Danielle 7/14/94 - 2/25/2015 I will love you till my last breath!

Edited by - serenity1652 on May 08 2016 6:15:59 PM

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  7:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nice house. I live in a house built around 1902, and I love it. If it is livable you could start by fixing up one room at a time. If you like it, go for it!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  7:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
The downstairs is livable but the upstairs is in dire need of repair. The plaster is falling off. It will have to be gutted. It has sit empty for 9 years since the elderly lady that owned it passed away. I got it dirt cheap and I love old houses but I'm afraid of falling into a money pit. I am so confused...lol

"Her wings were ready buy my heart was not: In Memory of my baby girl Elizabeth Danielle 7/14/94 - 2/25/2015 I will love you till my last breath!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  8:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I guess they can be money pits. My house had already been updated before I purchased it, so I lucked out that way. It needs little things once in a while. Right now it needs painting outside, which isn't cheap!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  04:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Hay there,

All houses can be a money pit. Have the foundation checked and then go from there. Its a beautiful old home and I hope you save it.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  06:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Fawn, it looks like you have a diamond in the rough with this wonderful Farmhouse! I don't blame you one bit on wanting to salvage it!! If it were mine, I would first make sure that the electrical was safe enough to use so it doesn't burn down. Then, make sure the water supply is safe to drink by having it tested with the county. Also make sure the septic tank is working so you can have indoor plumbing. In addition, make sure the roof isn't leaking and if there are trouble spots, get some tarps up on it until repairs can be made so you don't get water inside ruining walls etc. Once you can be sure that you are safe inside and can eat, wash and cook , you can figure out how to tackle things one by one. Hopefully, it won't be too expensive and it will be such a charmer! Paint and basic repairs will go a long way. I am very excited for you! Please keep us posted and share photos of your progress. You are going to have a busy summer ahead but perfect for being able to get things done. Thanks for sharing your photos today and good luck! I can see flowers and rockers on the front porch now!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  07:52:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Winnie! and...am so excited for you! After checking out the basics, I would love to save this too!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  10:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Several years ago, I had my teeth fixed at a dental school. The students were overseen by a full-fledged doctor.

I wonder, if you have a technical school that has construction classes nearby, if an instructor could be persuaded to have a "field trip" to your home? You could purchase the supplies, they would get hands on experience.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  10:38:22 AM  Show Profile
I would not tear it down! Work on one room at a time. The house is charming! Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Maybe you could get a clean used trailer or big RV to live in on-site while you do the fix-up? That way you would have a place to live while you do the rehab. I'm with the majority here -- one room at a time if you can. If it needs wiring or plumbing, do those whole systems first, then pick a room and go for it!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Don't tear it down, it's so charming!! I agree with the others on starting with the basics: water, electrical, etc. Then just take small steps. New paint and window treatments can make a drastic change. This is a great find! Make sure to share pictures of your updates if you choose to keep the house!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2016 :  5:15:06 PM  Show Profile
what a charming house! I really hope you don't tear it down - it looks like it has such great potential with some TLC! If you have second-use stores around you may be able to purchase reclaimed or surplus materials from construction projects at a fraction of the original cost. Another option are websites like Craigslist where you can search for and/or post requests for various materials that you need. Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  04:18:52 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE it, I hope you are able to fix it up!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Fawn, Your house has such potential. I know there are experts out there to tell you what you need to do to make it safe and livable. But such a beautiful spot. Good luck.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2016 :  05:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Fawn - what a beautiful house!! My husband does the work as he goes when we fix up houses (they are usually old houses) and we just live in the rooms/areas that are livable until we get to them. It's a process - so I've learned to be patient! It's fun though :) Do keep us updated!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

Kristine
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

California
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  3:30:26 PM  Show Profile
If the house has good "bones" just put a lot of love in to her; and she will repay your love; with joy!
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - May 08 2016 :  4:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
UPDATES: I have decided to redo the house. I have had many moments of buyers remorse and some tears shed but most days just happiness that I am saving her!

Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - May 08 2016 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  10:56:11 AM  Show Profile
How exciting! I don't blame you for the tears, but I bet you will be so happy when your done! Looking good. Keep us updated on your progress!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  10:30:37 PM  Show Profile
I know how discouraging it can be to live where you are constructing. Make yourself a cardboard "blackboard" and collect ideas and pictures of what you want. Keep a photo diary. Each improvement will bring you closer to your goal. Don't forget a "thankful" list to keep upbeat. We're all rootin' for you. God bless.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirlquilting
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Angie
Ft Meade FL
79 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  02:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Fawn- The house is beautiful! Keep looking at it as it is already finished! Make you a dream board or notebook where you keep pics of what you want each room to look like- you can include color samples etc... you could even research it and try to do some of it in the color or styles from the 1900's. I can't wait to see the progress. Please keep giving us updates... or you could even create your own blog for people to follow with your progress of the remodel. Good luck and God Bless your new adventure!

Angie Gordon
farmgirlquilting@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 28 2016 :  2:23:11 PM  Show Profile
FAwn, I hope you are enjoying the renovation with your new home! I bet it is going to be a jewel when you get the basics done and can start adding the paint and furniture. We are all rooting for you here and hope you have some time to share photos with us. Good Luck with each step. It is going to be a Farmgirl Haven for sure!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic UPDATED: Need Ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page