Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 I need opinions about my website ideas!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I need opinions about my website ideas!! Next Topic  

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  07:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Ok so I have some ideas for websites.....but I'm torn on how to set this up. (This is a big project that would take me a good bit of time to get set up and be an ongoing project-I'm ok with that!)

Ok so I have my blog which is supposed to be about finding joy in motherhood. I have some expanding to do on that but that is the basis. I don't think the following ideas fit in well with it though so I'm looking to separate them out.

Another passion of mine is crafts of all sorts but ESPECIALLY historic crafts. So I want to do a website where I explore historic crafts in depth. It will mostly happen one craft at a time and will include research, examples, how-to information, information about what materials were use and suggestions on the closest modern materials available, instructions and patterns if applicable. I also have the idea to include information about folkwear for different cultures and book-inspired projects in this site as well (i.e. Anne of Green Gables mentions lots of different crafts I would like to research and replicate-I know it has been done to some extent but I'd include research and other examples).

I have another idea to have a stitch dictionary for various crafts...including crochet, knit, lace making, tatting, embroidery, etc. I would start with crochet because that is what I know best. This would be pretty simple, just tutorials on how to do specific stitches, maybe tips and tricks and other techniques. I could expand into things like granny squares eventually but I'd start with just the stitches. I know this has been done but what I'm going for is having complete repository of stitches and techniques for various crafts in one place.

So my question is....should these be two completely different sites (perhaps with links to each other where applicable) or would it be better for the stitch dictionaries to be a section of the bigger historical craft site?

When we get back to the USA my husband and I want to rebuild a camper and vintage vehicle (some day) and we also are planning to start a farm some day. We are also "treasure hunters" who enjoy searching for interesting vintage items and have ideas to expand on that. All of these things I'd hope to document on a blog or website. At one point I thought I'd roll all these "vintage" things as well as the "vintage" crafts into one site but I'm afraid that may be too much.....

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm asking now because I'm about ready to start putting together the crochet part of this and I don't want to have to make huge changes later if I can help it!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  6:39:55 PM  Show Profile
I am not completely sure on what you should do but I kind of like the idea of having them together. This being, that if people are searching for a particular historic craft then they could also learn the basics on how to make that craft as well. Or it could go that someone is searching for how to crochet and learn from your website and then move on to making one of those historic crafts. I am not sure if that would be too much but I would rather have everything in one place. Hope that makes sense.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2016 :  11:41:56 PM  Show Profile
It does make sense Krista, and after mulling it over for a while I think this is the way I'm going to go. With all the craft stuff in one place. The downfall of that is that being super specific gets you better in the search results so people searching for that specific thing will be more likely to find it. That said, not that many people search anymore they just share stuff and I think I can work around the search stuff and still rank well anyway. Now to think of a name/URL.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  04:34:23 AM  Show Profile
I think as long as the name references both you'd be fine putting them together. Or not reference, but could work for both. Does that make sense?

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2016 :  05:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Yes, so I'm thinking of using the word "Vintage" in the name somehow....but not sure if it is a good word since the crafts could go as far back as the middle ages (there will be stuff from the last century and all the way back....eventually...at least that is the goal). So does "vintage" work if some of it is actually older than what would be considered vintage?

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I need opinions about my website ideas!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page