Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:15:01 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to share with you a project I did this week dying some blown out eggs using natural ingredients. The yellow dye was made with curry powder, the blue was made with crushed blueberries and the brown/pinkish purple were both made from fresh beets. All you do is add your natural ingredients to water, simmer for 30 minutes to concentrate the colors, cool enough to handle and add 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar to each cup of fluid. Place eggs in dye bath and allow to set for 30 minutes or more. Although they are not as bright in color as food coloring, I love that they are all natural. The muted colors are pretty to me too. The handmade carrots came from Ebay and the little chicken and cotton batting rabbit were from my Easter basket as a child.

Have you ever tried to dye Easter eggs with natural products? If so, how did they turn out? I would love to hear and learn what you experienced.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, your eggs are beautiful and a great find on the carrots.

I have dyed eggs with food coloring and than dip them in strong coffee or tea. I like the colors I get. They remind me of different colored stones/rocks.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1502 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1502 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  3:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Those are beautiful, Winnie!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  02:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Winnie. I love the natural colors too. I love your arrangement. The dough bowl and those funky carrots. Just perfect!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  05:06:46 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful basket! Thanks for sharing it with us along with the recipes for natural dyes. I am always on the lookout for natural dye recipes for our eggs. My husband is Persian, so we color eggs for Nowruz (Persian New Year on the first day of spring, Iranians have been coloring eggs for over 2700 years). We also color for Easter, so buying the natural dye kits are too pricey for both holidays.

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  09:40:49 AM  Show Profile
These turned out great Winnie I really like the softness of natural dyeing.

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I love your family history of egg coloring. Can you post a photo of what you do this year so we can learn more about the Iranian tradition? Are there specific colors or patterns that are always done?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  12:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, thank you for sharing how to dye eggs naturally. The colors turn out perfect. With them being light it reminds me of pastel colors. Easter is all about light pastel colors!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  1:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, here is a link to an explanation I posted several years ago about the Persian New Year. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18793

The colored eggs I've seen are usually done in pastels and are part of the haft seen, the altar that is laid out with the 7 dishes. The pictures of the altars are quite beautiful and elaborate. Mine is quite modest compared to my husband's relatives. We all send each other emails with pictures of our altars and well wishes for the New Year. Since we are the only ones here in IL we make phone calls and send emails in place of the traditional home visits.

You can Google Nowruz Haft Seen for pictures of these altars. They are really beautiful.

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Natural Dyed Easter Eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page