Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Merit Badge Suggestions 2016 & 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Merit Badge Suggestions 2016 & 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Temperate Rainforest Oregon
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2016 :  10:43:19 PM  Show Profile
I was browsing through the list of merit badges, and was surprised that there weren't badges for these:

•Good/ bad garden bugs:
I would have thought that with an organic garden; identifying you friends and foes would be important? I was turning the soil in my garden (by hand x_x) and notice bugs I've never seen before. One of these bugs was still in its cocoon, and after researching it, found out they were a pest! So, having this kind of knowledge would be important. Maybe consider a badge for that? Maybe a badge with a ladybug on a leaf or flower? ;)

•Emergency preparedness:
I'm not really talking about 'Doomsday prepers' but normal emergency preparedness. Like putting together an emergency bag with flashlights/ candles, storing water, long term food storage.... You get the idea?

Anyway, I thought these would make great merit badges.

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though oftentimes better than master of one.

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  07:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Those are great ideas for badges and important skills as well. A water main broke in our town earlier this week and my neighborhood has been without clean water for a few days. It really made me stop and consider how unprepared I am for a real emergency.

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Emergency preparedness would be a great badge option. Like you say, Krisit, you never know when something is going to happen and you are suddenly scrambling for emergency things to make due in the interim.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2016 :  4:04:06 PM  Show Profile
I like the emergency preparedness badge idea. That is something I could really use and a badge would make it fun to accomplish.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  11:59:31 PM  Show Profile
By the way; here is a link to printing out your own 'Emergency go-kit Passport'. What it is is a booklet containing your Name, address, family, emergency contacts, medication, allergies, ect. Let me tell you; when you are too sick (or injured) to speak for yourself, this is a nice thing to have around. I went to the E.R. Last year and kept slipping in and out of consciousness. Luckily, I gave the EMTs my Emergency booklet. When I woke up the next day, I was in a room and my Dad was there. They never figured out what was wrong, but the local hospital is useless.

You can order actual mini booklets, sent to your door for free, but I think it's only for Oregonians. But you can still use the link to print out your own.

https://www.oregon.gov/OMD/OEM/plans_train/Earthquake/go-kit_passport.pdf

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2016 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know when the new badges will be posted?
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2016 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Debbie,
I believe the new badges for 2016 were posted in January. As far as I know they don't plan to post any more until January 2017.
You might email Brian and check with him.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile
For some reason, I thought they were posted in January AND July. I guess I will just wait until January, then...probably a good thing since I am still working on the new ones from January!
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Debbie,
They used to have new ones in January and July, but for the last 2-3 years, or so, there have only been new ones in January.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  03:21:20 AM  Show Profile
I definitely agree We Need an Emergency Preparedness Badge... something that will help our Farm Sisters to really prepare for the unexpected.

We just saw Hurricane Matthew rake the East Coastline. Weather emergencies are something everyone should be prepared for.
We live within a mile of a major highway and railroad track... an accident involving a chemical spill could force an quick evacuation.
When Texas had wildfires years ago, they devastate the small community of Bastrop. Some people were sitting in a restaurant when the police came in and told them to get in their cars and leave town-- they couldn't even return to their homes.

Oh, and in Texas with highway construction, people speeding, and so much traffic, a good accident on the road could shut down traffic for hours and hours. How many of us have a food/water/activity bag in our vehicles to entertain you and the kiddos-- in a small small space ? Now that's scary to me.

Seriously. Every municipality, the Red Cross , our insurance companies tell us that (like every good Boy and Girl Scout), we should
"Be Prepared".

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Brian
Honorary Farmgirl

521 Posts

Brian
Moscow ID
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  4:32:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,

That's a great idea. We'll see about getting something like that written for the next round of badges. Keep the great ideas coming!

Thanks,

~Brian
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  7:17:32 PM  Show Profile
I looked for a Merit Badge suggestions 2017 but there isn't one, and I didn't want to start a new thread... so I'll just post it here?

I recommend a book reading merit badge based on how many books you read?

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  11:32:50 AM  Show Profile
That would be a fun merit badge, but would be hard for me since I struggle to find time for books. Hopefully it would allow me to read those books over a course of a few years!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Pixiedustdevil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2017 :  11:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Maybe it would be easier if the books weren't limited to novels, but any book?

----------------------
Sisterhood #6941

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2017 :  03:17:25 AM  Show Profile
A Book Merit Badge would be great.

I think I would enjoy reading books from at least 3 different types: Biography, Novel, Non-Fiction ( self help, healthy living, learning a new skill), and
???
A minimum of 1 book a month for ? month. Make the number progressively higher for each level.
Write a short Book Review on each book you read AND
Pick a favorite book from each Catagory and tell about it on the Merit Badge Chat forum
Pat your self on the back if you post a positive review on line for a favorite book.

Have a Great Farm Girl kind of day!
Mary

"There is no unbelief: Whoever plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see it push away the clod, he trusts in God." (Kate Douglas Wiggin)
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2017 :  03:58:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brian!! And Ladies.....

HAND GUN BADGE------

I don't know anyone around me that hunt, so this Badge is closed to me....BUT, I love to go to the range with my hand gun and target shoot.

I only shot a handgun one time before ( I mean literally ONE bullet) in my life .

Now I am comfortable with a revolver and automatic, and can consistently shoot out the center of my target after a year and a half of shooting.
( I screamed and grabbed the female police officer next to me, my first time at an indoor range when someone shot a gun. The sound scared me!!!! Ha Ha!!

Since is should be sooo much easier for MJF sisters to have access to handguns, ranges, and safe target shooting area.... I think a Hand Gun Badge would be welcomed.

I would like to see the following:

A. Research your State's Gun Owners Laws. Are they very strict?
B. Does it have Concealed Carry laws and registration? Does your State have open carry ?
C. Some States have very strict laws about carrying guns in vehicles. If you decide to carry a gun when traveling, make sure you understand these laws.

1. Take a gun safety course at a gun range, from a police officer or experienced gun owner.
2. Learn about loading, using the safety, bullet calibers, and handling a gun safely
3. Be able to load and unload your gun safety.
4. Learn How to safely store your weapon and ammunition at home or when you are traveling. Even if you don't own your own gun.
5. Go to a Gun Range (indoor or outdoor), and learn the Safety Practices for the type of range you go to.
6. Have an experience shooter show you how to to aim at the target and practice hitting the target.
7. Continue practicing to improve these skills you are learning, Keep your targets to mark your progress.
8. Learn to clean your gun. A revolver is easy to clean.
If you have an automatic, you may not be able to "break the gun down" to clean it if you have arthritis in your hands. Know a person or Gun range/store where you can have your gun cleaned. (A clean gun is a safe gun).
9. Finally Learn about Liability Insurance for a gun Owners that would provide legal assistance.if you shot someone, accidentally or in self defense. Although I don't know anyone who this has ever happened too -- I plan to get this soon.
Most gun owners don't carry this.. If you own a gun, you should consider this .

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2017 :  11:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Mary, I like the idea of learning all the safety of the gun as well as all the laws. Both of them are very important when having a gun. I'm curious to see how many others would be interested.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2017 :  03:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2017 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
I posted somewhere else, but here are some more ideas.... (By the way Mary, I LOVE the hand gun badge idea!)

- Chocolate working, including tempering chocolate
- Pasta making
- Candlewicking
- Crafting with felt
- Plastic canvas

This is all I can think of this morning. I'll see what else I can come up with... Oh the other one I think I posted about was cooking foods from different cuisines.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2017 :  7:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Shannon,
The chocolate and pasta sound yummy!!

Candle wicking is so lovely ,
Mary

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2017 :  12:28:31 PM  Show Profile
I would be very interested in chocolate working! Who doesn't love chocolate? I would love to learn some fancy chocolate techniques for when I have parties.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2017 :  12:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
There is a "Woman-At-Arms" badge!
Brian, do you think this would cover handguns too, as Mary is suggesting!

I know when I worked on those badges for myself, I included what I know about handguns!
Thanks!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2017 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile
I know CeeJay... But I felt Women at Arms badge focused on Hunting,: Hunting Safety course and Hunting game.

It would have to be rewritten anyway, to include both Long guns and Handguns Skills , or offer a second badge. I'll defer to our leaders on this. If they are interested.
Mart

Go to Top of Page

Wormie
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Ellen
Harpers Ferry WV
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirl Sisters! Returning Farmgirl here.

I have two suggestions for new badges...

How about a Chainsaw Use and Safety badge? I did not see one in the list although I may easily have missed it. I have a lovely little Stihl but I wish I had more confidence in using it.

How about a Preserve our Pollinators Badge? I'm a beekeeper and I'm acutely aware of the sad state of affairs when it comes to supporting our pollinators, be they honeybees or the myriad of wild pollinators that exist. Not everyone wants to keep an apiary, of course, but there are many ways to provide a welcoming place for wild pollinators. Examples would be to making a mason bee house or nurturing the dandelions in one's grass rather than removing them (in many areas they are the first food available for bees in the early Spring).

Edited by - Wormie on Jul 11 2017 12:36:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

Great ideas! Keep them coming!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Wormie
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Ellen
Harpers Ferry WV
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  11:52:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Wormie

Hello Farmgirl Sisters! Returning Farmgirl here.

I have two suggestions for new badges...

How about a Chainsaw Use and Safety badge? I did not see one in the list although I may easily have missed it. I have a lovely little Stihl but I wish I had more confidence in using it.

How about a Preserve our Pollinators Badge? I'm a beekeeper and I'm acutely aware of the sad state of affairs when it comes to supporting our pollinators, be they honeybees or the myriad of wild pollinators that exist. Not everyone wants to keep an apiary, of course, but there are many ways to provide a welcoming place for wild pollinators. Examples would be making a mason bee house or nurturing the dandelions in one's lawn rather than removing them (in many areas they are the first food available for bees in the early Spring).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Merit Badge Suggestions 2016 & 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page