YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  07:45:40 AM  Show Profile
My electric water bath canner will be here today. I ordered on-line from Ball/Kerr. I have never been a big canner. By that I mean I never put up for the winter. I like re-creating the specialty items I see in little shops. Four or eight pints/1/2 pints in pretty little jars.

When I moved to my new home four years ago I gave up canning because the new house came with a glass top stove. The other day I received an e-mail from Ball/Kerr with a 20% off offer on electric canners. I knew then I now had a way to start canning again.

I don't have room in my kitchen for the canner but I do have my Yellow Rose Cottage that I have up to now used only for crafting. I have made room in the cottage for my bread machine and now the electric canner. Haven't worked out all the logistics on how I am going to do it but I know there will be a way.

Cherries are on sale at my grocery store so brandied cherries may the first thing I process in my new canner. Green beans are also on sale and I like rosemary pickled green beans. So many choices. I must remind myself not to get carried away.

Oh yes, the canner was paid for by a check I received from an insurance company I had years ago. There was a state wide class act suit against them and my little check covered the canner.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  08:35:11 AM  Show Profile
So glad you got the canner. It needs to be right next to a sink. It empties from a spigot really hot water. You'll love it. I was always in a rush to do canning last summer and it really helped out. I'll use it along with my regular canner to speed things up when doing large batches. Can hardly wait for canning season....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  08:45:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sylvia, for reminding me about how it drains. I will have to empty it into a bucket and probably use it to wash deck after the chickens have been on it.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  2:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Sara, your new canner sounds perfect! What a perfect solution to allow you to do some canning of goods that you enjoy all year round. I am also intrigued by the Yellow rose Cottage? Is that a separate building on your property?? It sounds wonderful to have a craft room and now a canning station to use.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  2:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Winnie the Yellow Rose Cottage is next to my deck and was a woodworking shop for the previous owner. Just guessing it's 12' X 12' with 3 full size windows and one 1/2 size window in the east side loft. There's a loft on the east & west side of the cottage and opened in the middle. A covered porch in front. The window trim is the same yellow paint as house shutters.

The cottage is only a couple of feet from front, side, and back fence so it has the feel of an English cottage. The front part of the fence has a gate with a metal arch trellis. When I first moved here a yellow climbing rose grew on the trellis but had been so harmed by a five year drought that it died that summer. I planted a yellow rose that fall but it didn't make it. Now that the drought isn't as bad I may try planting another yellow climbing rose.

I have several of my favorite things in it that couldn't go in the house. Cream & green enamel icebox; oak sideboard that came from a working ranch in Dallas county; oak hall tree with mirror; oak dry sink; and a blue wood work table that I rescued from the curb.

The cottage has built in work tables with handy wall plugs which are perfect for the canner and bread machine. The previous owners left behind a box fan that blows warm & cool air so I can be out there most days.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  05:48:20 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, Sara, this little Cottage sounds like the perfect Farmgirl station for all sorts of great hours of doing things you love to do! I would love a little cottage all to myself that I could make into a place like you have. Hopefully, some yellow roses will be successful again now that the drought seems to have lifted in your state. Thanks for sharing!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  1:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sara,
Love the sound of your little cottage . . . I'm jealous!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - May 05 2016 :  1:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Winnie and CeeJay, I am so blessed to have found my little house with the cottage.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2016 :  04:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Got a question for you FarmGirl canners.

I'm saving the large plastic vinegar jugs to carry water to the cottage for the canner. Will drain the water back into the jugs.

Can the water be saved and reused for next canning or should it be used for other purposes - cleaning the deck or watering plants?

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Electric Water Bath Canner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page