cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  09:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Dear MaryJane,

It has been an honor and privilege to have been a part of MaryJane’s Farmgirl Sisterhood since 2005. It seems so long ago and yet time has passed so quickly. Through those years, while my interaction with the forum has been intermittent, my heart has stood steadfast. Every time I join back into the fold, all the farmgirls are there with open arms ready to give a virtual hug.

I want you to know that you, your staff and all the farmgirls have held a special place in my heart since that first day that I wrote to you. At that time, in 2005, I was 37 and homeschooling two girls, age 11 and 9. The location of our small homestead was right on the line of suburban life and rural life. We were able to have the advantages of what both had to offer. The suburban/city life of Houston allowed for trips to the science museum, fine arts museum, plays, ballets, etc…. The rural life allowed for participation in the county fairs, living a farm life, and an abundance of nature walks.

What was difficult, at that time, was that I didn’t quite fit in with most of the moms in the homeschool group. My fingernails were always dirty and hands callused. Their fingernails were always painted and hands were soft. Several families were homeschooling in more orthodox ways and I was homeschooling in almost an ‘unschooling’ mode that allowed our farm lifestyle and nature to teach the girls. I tried to mimic their methods of schooling and teach my girls Latin and Greek and all that ‘fancy’ stuff. We were miserable. It just wasn’t for us. I felt very alone at times.

My mom and I were shopping in a bookstore and we spotted your Idea book. She bought it for me in hopes that it would encourage me. And, that’s exactly what happened. I couldn’t put the book down. The stories of your mom, dad and family were echoes of my family. Your passion was kindred to the passion that I had yet to unleash. My first contact with you was to tell you how you helped me embrace the farmgirl in me. I have been ‘reborn’ since then. Thank you.

Through the years, the interest in small scale farming has grown and I have learned to take advantage of this window of opportunity. For about 10 years, I have offered classes and workshops for adults, students, scouts, homeschoolers in the various subjects of mini-farming like, gardening, raising chickens, raising rabbits, butchering your own livestock, rainwater harvesting, etc… Basically, all the things I do to run our small farm on a day to day basis is what I teach others to do. It has been very rewarding financially, emotionally, spiritually and in forging new relationships.

Last year, my pastor approached me about leading some type of group. Not thinking he’d agree, I responded with, “How about a community garden?” He was elated and I was apprehensive. Remember I mentioned the dual suburban/rural lifestyle I lead? Well, our church is in the suburban part of that. I really didn’t think anyone would sign up. 20 families signed up and 15 have been consistent in keeping up with their plots. I’m still in a bit of disbelief over that. But, it illustrates that people of all walks of life are interested in where their food comes from, the quality of it and some even want to grow it themselves. The name of the community garden is “Rooted”. It’s a great play on words relating to being rooted in God’s Word, rooted in life, and rooted in the garden.

Currently, my oldest daughter and I have teamed up and created a non-profit part of the farm called One Acre Farm Educational Foundation. She and I are getting trained by Rupert Isaacson of The Horse Boy and will be providing programs for children with autism and other special needs. Before having children, I was a public school teacher and my daughter is currently a teacher for children with autism. This opportunity has just fallen into our laps and we are so excited for the new adventure. I can’t believe that I’m almost 50 and starting a new endeavor. It is exhilarating.

MaryJane, I know that God is at the foundation of all this. But, I also truly believe that I would not have done all these things nor be doing the future endeavors if it weren’t for you. You showed me that I can honor and give respect to my family history. You showed me that I can embrace the farmgirl that I am. You showed me that I can benefit financially from the things I love doing. Most importantly, you showed me that I can serve others in these endeavors.

Thank you.

With deepest gratitude,
Catherine Griffin
‘cajungal’

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  10:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Catherine, this is just so sweet! Love your story!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232 FGOTM May 2016
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  11:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, I believe the Lord leads us down a path and if we choose to follow than wonderful opportunities await us. I'm so happy you followed his footsteps and shared your story with us.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  12:13:19 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful tale!

Natalie

Farmgirl Sister #7004 May 2016

^*^ We are the weirdos, mister. ^*^
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Wonderful Story.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  8:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, your story is so moving. Remember, if every bird in the forest sang the same song no one would be able to hear. You were created to be you, not others. I can see you are using your special gifts. Hooray!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  05:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you Catherine for sharing your heartfelt story of finding your Farmgirl Heart through MaryJanesFarm! Your journey resonates with my journey as well. Reading MaryJane's Ideas book really put me on the path to searching for my own Farmgirl Heart and pathway. It was transforming for me! I am happy to learn all of the good things that your Farmgirl journey have done for you in your life. Best of luck with your new One Acre Educational project. It sounds wonderful and full of potential to change lives too. I hope you will share with us how things progress over the year.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, your letter was just what we needed as we close in on the home stretch of another magazine. Every detail was so lovely and inspiring. Thank you for taking the time to share your heart with us. It led to a wonderful discussion about the people who inspire us and how important that is in our lives. They're like little angels on our shoulders encouraging us and keeping us at the hard work of life/the joyous work of life. In the end, it all comes down to sharing and caring. Heart fuel. Your dose was a good one! I thank you. My farmgirl team thanks you. We are so excited for you and your daughter and your new non-profit garden project. How awesome!!! All seems right in the world just now. Thank you Catherine.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  12:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful story Catherine! Always be proud of who you are and what you do! Your an amazing woman doing amazing things for yourself, your daughter, and your community!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Dear MaryJane, Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page