Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Organizing fabrics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Organizing fabrics Next Topic  

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile
How do you keep your fabric tidy?

janjones
Starting each day as a new beginning.

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  08:23:53 AM  Show Profile
I found this idea in an old blog about organizing a craft room. Filing cabinets make great storage for fabric. They keep every piece of your fabric at your fingertips, keeps it all dust free and safe from sun damage. The only downside is there isn't any warm fuzzy feeling as you gaze across the room at file cabinet fronts. Here's a photo of how I use mine. I'm starting my 4th cabinet! My choice was to file everything by designer so I could see a whole line at once.Oops, I'm on my nook and have to switch to my phone in order to post my photo. Sorry.

janjones
Go to Top of Page

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  09:01:34 AM  Show Profile

janjones
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  1:29:01 PM  Show Profile
How about creating that "warm fuzzy feeling" by making a color copy of some of the fabrics in the drawer and pasting it to the fronts.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  3:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Marie, what a great idea! How do you handle yours?

janjones
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  5:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Very neat and orderly way to organize your fabric. Wish I had the room.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  8:18:53 PM  Show Profile
Very nice. Love it . Mine are going to have to stay in the tubs.

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  12:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Ha! I don't. I have most of my yardage stored in one of the sea chests that my grandfather had made for each member of the Vitums family to store their possessions in during the trip across the Atlantic to North America after being refugees in Germany after World War II. I have to take a considerable amount of stuff off the chest to access it. The smaller pieces are stored in the basement in boxes. I also have a box or two of clothing meant to be scavenged for cloth. I do not really know exactly what I have. I live in a one bedroom apartment with my guy.

This is my sewing space when I first moved in.

Now this space has stuff piled in front of it up to the edge of the black book shelf on the right. The sea chest is the green box on the left. I have to move several containers that cover two thirds of the double bed also in this room. This is a huge challenge. Someday I may sort it all out.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2016 :  12:17:19 PM  Show Profile
This is what my sewing room looked like before I filled it with stuff:

I have fabric in stacks or bins on both the white shelves and the bookshelves. I also added a set of shelves to the left of the chair, and have a few rubbermaid tubs to the right of it. It's a very full room now! I try to keep it organized by project- white shelves is random stuff and tools since it's nearest my machine; brown shelves is books, craft supplies, and organized small pieces like fat quarters; third shelves contains my current projects, and the tubs keep my clothing patterns and fabrics.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  05:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Marie the chest sounds lovely. If only there was more space for all the projects and supplies. My poor sewing room is a disaster at the moment. I did get some of the UFOs in bags with the assigned pattern and tagged with needed items to complete for my UFO badge..... When I get to it which makes this another UFO...

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

janjones68
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Jan
Spokane Valley WA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Marie the history you shared about the sea chest is wonderful. Not to worry, organizing will happen when it's right for you.

janjones
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2016 :  8:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Just live my motto and you will be happy. organized people are just to lazy to look for it! this is meant to be funny not hurt anyones feelings, Actually I wish I could be more organized but I am just one of those people who has to see what she has and so it always looks messy but i know where everything is! But someone could not walk into my sewing room and find stuff unless I tell them where to look!! Maybe that is the way I like it. hehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Bev.. your "moto " is funny and no offence taken...
My sewing room is always in upheaval ... and my fabric collection has gotten out of hand... and yet I know where evrrything is... although my hubby threatens to bring in a Back Hoe to clear out the mess!! Lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Jan, I luv your organizational skills....
but if my fabrics where organized that lovely... I would not want to use my fabrics because of how pretty they look on display... that's my story and i 'm sticken ' to it!!! Lol!
just cally me a 'messy marvin '... snork giggles!..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  4:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Grace your hubby has no idea what he is saying. I am sure like all of us, our fabric is like an iceburg, he is only seeing the top 1/3 of it! hehehehehehehehe Don't let him see all of it cause then he will want to bring in the backhoe! hehehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  6:27:45 PM  Show Profile
I heard of this guy whose wife had died and asked a quilt shop if he could donate his last wife's stash to the store. They said yes thinking they would get a few boxes and use it for classes. Three pickup loads later, they decided to measure it, put it on tables and sell it for $1 a yard. They gave the money they made to a charity. It was substantial.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  04:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Beverly I like your motto. Now I have an excuse!! Sometimes I find something I forgot and then its a surprise.
Grace I'm sure your husband has only seen the tip of the iceberg as beverly mentioned...... But thats ok he does not need to know about everything in your stash.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  10:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Bev... so True! lolol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

GGBQuilter
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

60 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2018 :  6:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Greetings: Jan I like the file cabinet storage idea but I don't think that would work for me! What is the average length of the fabrics in your file cabinet? I have a closet full of fabric, the toy chest my Dad made for his girls when we were young, plus I have a few baskets full. I also have a 'muck bucket' of scraps. I do know where each piece is. The truth is, I am unable to sew in a perfectly clean and organized sewing room, it is not a reflection of the sewing projects in my mind. I usually have three or four quilts going at the same time. I also like to have a book or magazine open with a few fabrics auditioning for a location in the featured quilt. I am now trying to use up fabric, so over the past six months, I've made six scrap quilts using the same pattern. Once you get started they sew up quick and then you realize just how much fabric you really have as the scraps turn into more scraps!

Gae
Farmgirl #7534
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9205 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2018 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I have an a'moire that belonged to my dad and that is where I keep my fabric. I bought these card type things from amazon for the smaller pieces and some of the larger. There are shelves on side, drawers on the other and two huge drawers on the bottom. In those I keep my bolts. I'll try and get a picture sometime. I don't have a sewing room per se. It is also a small room with a set of bunk beds in it. But I use the closet as my crafting area. It is a walk in. Right now aforementioned closet is full of craft stuff and bins of my dad's things. My goal is to clean it out this spring.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Organizing fabrics Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page