Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Starting from Scratch Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  8:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
And I couldn't be more excited!! I have donated or sold all the items that just don't fit my Shabby Chic meets Texas meets simplicity look of our future home.

So where would you start?
What is important to you?

I am going to buy bed linens tomorrow. I think a comfy bed is probably high up there on my list of must haves for the house. I love to mix and match sheets and pillow cases. Throw on a comfy down comforter and an extra cotton quilt, and I am a happy clam. I do not like a lot of "decorative" pillows but I can pile a bed with sleeping pillows high.

Lighting is probably number 2 for me, I know weird right?!? I love how rooms are lit and they can create much needed ambiance in a home. I love all things to do with shades and textures of the bases of lamps. Odd???

Third would be a comfy couch. We are looking at a beautiful leather couch but we won't buy anything until we find that right house with the right space.

Next would be picture frames. I can spend hours trying to find the right one. I like ornate but not obnoxious. Silver preferred, but gold works fine too.

Finally, some sort of wood detail, whether it's in the hard surfaces, shelving, a fireplace beam, etc...something rustic, loved and worn.

Edited by - catscharm74 on Jul 23 2016 8:31:33 PM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  05:21:34 AM  Show Profile
Heather, how is the real estate search going for that perfect Farmhouse? I am guessing that a lot of what you will choose as furnishings might depend on the actual look of your place and what you eventually do for paint colors and flooring? It is exciting that you are able to get a new home with some land to create that dream farm! I can't wait to hear as things unfurl and you find the right place. Post photos too as you move forward. You know how we all love to see what you are finding and creating. Good Luck!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  06:04:07 AM  Show Profile
Heather like you I like the way lights set the mood for rooms. Lamps are my favorites - table or floor - I even have a lamp in my kitchen when I don't want to turn the large ceiling light on. My kitchen looks completely different in the soft glow of the lamp. I have a table lamp on my computer table which has a vintage enamel cream and green top.

I buy my table lamps from Dollar General where I mix & match bases & shades. I have the same base in kitchen & living room but with different shades and wooden beads on the living room & bittersweet around the base of kitchen lamp I have two separate looks.

I like a touch of yellow & red in each room. Red lamp shades are one of my favorite ways to add red.

Buying for your new house is like collecting for a hope chest. Buy what you love, in the colors you love, and what will fit any house. I do believe houses have personalities and will influence their owners on how they want to be dressed. My little house just says Texas farmhouse meets English cottage.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  06:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
The process is slow going but we know she is out there, waiting for us. It requires more back road driving in the beautiful country side of Texas, drat!!! LOL

Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  06:18:43 AM  Show Profile
I started this weekend on our bedroom. All our bedroom linens are light blues and greens, kind of beachy and cool. I painted it from the light brown my dad left in there to a very light cool gray. Since I have most of the small stuff out of the room, I'm taking this opportunity to only put back in the things that go with that look. I replaced the light bulb with a cooler, daylight temperature one and am switching out the light switch and electrical outlets with white instead of the almond colored plates. It's going to look so fresh and clean!

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

littlemissfarmerca
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Monica
Billings Montana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  6:22:20 PM  Show Profile
I am in the process of adding a garage door to our farmhouse and using this tutorial I found helpful https://www.garagedoornation.com/pages/garage-spring-replacement-guide and I'm sure my husband is amazed at how much I'm able to get done on the weekends without much help.
This forum has been a big help to me thus far.

I usually buy my supplies online if I can, since I find the best prices and reviews on the net.
I'm in the market now for a small tractor and found some websites that have them. Now, to convince my husband to buy a big ticket item like that on the internet lol. any tips?
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2017 :  08:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Bedding would be a biggie for me, too. Then towels for the bathrooms. I like to find the decorative things locally -- they tell a story.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Starting from Scratch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page