MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  10:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I went out to water my garden last night and noticed my bush beans have started to produce beans again. Not sure what happened to cause the long delay in production but I'm super happy to be getting beans again! I'm thinking it may have been the weather we were in the triple digits there for a while and it's finally cooling down to the 90's.

I have noticed that my bush bean plants are no longer growing green beans. Is this normal? I feel the season was very short lived. Or does it take awhile for more to come on again? I heard something about cutting the plants. Is that true? Please help! Thanks

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Aug 09 2016 11:21:51 AM

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  12:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...whenever I notice the bush beans are played/picked out I usually rip them up and plant another round of a quick producer. If you leave them long enough they might flower and produce again. Maybe a dose of fertilizer?

Or try that with some and rip up/plant again in part of your garden?
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  1:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Our beans are not doing very well this year either, but we're VERY dry. Is your weather doing anything unusual?

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2016 :  2:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Bush beans claim to fame is they put on their whole crop at once, for picking and processing ease. You may get a straggler, but the bulk of the crop is finished.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  03:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow... I didn't know that! I grew bush beans for the first time this year... Still watching the flowers, waiting for the beans! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  05:39:46 AM  Show Profile
I grow bush Blue Lake every year that I grow beans. We have always had way more than we could use, and while most of them come on at one time, they produce pretty steadily in smaller batches after their first big rush. Any time you continue to see blossoms, you will continue to have more beans. Sometimes I feel like there are too many, but then I remember that we have our nice food bank uptown and they are happy to take our overflow. Getting them all picked is the challenge.

Having said all that -- it is not a good idea to plant your beans in the same place every year. For some reason, they will set some kind of nematode or something into the soil that will then attack your plants the next year if they are planted in the same spot. I always move them over a few rows from year to year and haven't had any problems so far. We have had a really good year for the garden, though -- plenty of heat, but plenty of rain mixed in. Good luck with yours, and unless the plants have withered up completely, I would wait and see about some blossoms -- they may surprise you yet!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2016 :  11:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I'll just leave them as is and see if I have anymore come on. The plants don't look wilted or dead, just no beans. It also has been a very warm summer for us, so not sure if that is a problem. With this being my first year growing bush beans, I don't have much to compare it to. I feel sad because I didnt get as many beans as I had hoped for. I did try and keep things small this year and only planted 5 small bushes. So for next year I'll make sure to plant more seeds so I can have more beans.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  12:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Epsom salts and water. 1 Tab to a gallon od water and spray the leaves too.
Bunches of beans.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2016 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the tip Diana!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krista,
My beans are done now but my Heirloom "Royal Burgundy" beans produced through the entire summer. I discovered them last year and really like them. They are purple in color, (you can see them better for picking) are just like green beans and after they're cooked they are green.
Anyway, they're good producers!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Sep 29 2016 3:05:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2016 :  10:25:11 AM  Show Profile
CJ, I will look into those purple beans. I did find I would miss some beans because they were blending in. It would be nice to have some I can see and that produce longer. Do they taste the same?

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic *update* Bush beans help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page