gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  8:34:54 PM  Show Profile
I started ACV today first time will keep ypu posted.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  05:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Excited to hear how it works out, Diana!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  07:18:56 AM  Show Profile
I just found this site, and she has a book with 5 star ratings too.
http://phickle.com/about/
Also, check out her Instagram pictures showing her recent trip to Japan and all of the things there that are fermented. Fascinating!
Started some cabbage, carrot, celery, garlic, and crushed red pepper from some items that needed to get used.
Also, I stumbled on the above site because I was interested in fermenting winter squash, of which I have an abundance. I am going to try that too. Sound like it is really good!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Joyce I'm not going to get to it today - cooking up all the meat I bought yesterday on sale. Hope to start sauerkraut on Sat.

Diana, let us know how your ACV turns out.

Thanks Lisa for the site - I'll check it out. I *invested in a Japanese fermenting book. I made persimmon vinegar with their recipe. Glad I made it but won't again because it has such a delicate flavor which doesn't go with my way of hi-spice cooking.

Either in the Japanese book or one of my other fermenting books are recipes for squash. I have thought about it but haven't done it. Let me know how yours turns out. I may have to give it a try the next time it goes on sale. All my fermenting is done when something goes on sale. That way if I lose a batch I haven't much invested in it.

*Any book over $5 is an investment to me.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

710 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
710 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:37:23 PM  Show Profile
I have some squash that we're not using up fast enough. I'm going to give this a try.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Jill, let us know how it turns out.

Checked on sauerkraut today and so far so good.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2017 :  3:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Yay, Sara!! Here's to hoping it continues to be good.

Looking forward to hearing how your squash goes, Jill!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Tasted the sauerkraut today and it's tasty and crispy. So happy I finally have a jar of homemade sauerkraut.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  12:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I as it hard making sauerkraut Sara? I have always wanted to try and make my own.

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  12:48:23 PM  Show Profile
Jana, it was hard for me to get it right. Others seem to have no trouble at all. Joyce 'Ginghamgirl' posted about grating the cabbage and kneading it for about ten minutes. I tried it this time and it worked. I think the secret is grating and kneading.

I have some of it in the oven now with link sausage and potatoes. Probably healthier to eat it raw but I do like cooked sauerkraut with sausages.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Sara - that's GREAT!!! I'm SO excited it worked for you :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  06:53:55 AM  Show Profile
I think sauerkraut is one of the easiest things to ferment! It was also our first ferment experiment. Definitely shred it and kind of massage the salt in. That helps a lot. We enjoy ours cooked with sausage. Never had it raw!

My ACV is still brewing. I probably should have strained it long ago, but I kind of forgot about it! After two weeks, it didn't look like anything other than apples in water, so I re-covered it and left it. I discovered it again over the holidays and it looks pretty good! Hoping to get it strained this weekend and then let it sit again another week or so.

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  07:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer if you want it to ferment a little longer wait to strain it - once it's strained the fermentation stops.

I want to figure out when to start a new batch of ACV so I always have some on hand. Don't want to wait until I almost run out but I don't have room to store more than a couple of bottles at a time.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2017 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Curious - what do you guys use to weight down the apple peels/cores?

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

Kiltie Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Jennifer
Bay City MI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GinghamGirl

Curious - what do you guys use to weight down the apple peels/cores?

I actually didn't weight them down. Oops! There is a slime mold on the top right now. I'm going to try to pull that out first before I strain. Hopefully, it will turn out okay. This is my first attemp at ACV.

Jenn

Farmgirl Sister #7120

"Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance."
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  2:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Question to everyone who makes their own sauerkraut...does anyone use the "Easy Fermenter Wide Mouth Lid Kit: Simplified Fermenting In Jars" (https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Fermenter-Wide-Mouth-Lid/dp/B01DJVVORE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1484087714&sr=8-6&keywords=saurkraut+fermenter)? I am not interested in making large quantities and thought this might be worth trying, plus it has great reviews.

Jana

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  2:59:00 PM  Show Profile
For the large over sized mouth glass canister I used a plastic lid which fit into it and weight it down with heavy glass wine stoppers. For my next batch I will try something different.

To make sauerkraut I use wide mouth mason jars and cover the grated cabbage with cabbage leaves; weigh down with cabbage core; and cover with cheesecloth secured with rubber band. After several days the kraut doesn't float so I take the cores out and keep leaves on top under the brine.

So why can't I do the same thing with ACV. Cover ACV with large strips of apple peelings. If I can't think of anything better to put on top of the strips of peelings I can always put a ziplock bag into the jar; fill with water; and zip it up.

When I go thrifting/junking I always look for little saucers to fit into wide mouth mason jars.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1402 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2017 :  5:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, everyone! I love the ideas/responses :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
FGOTM April 2016
Go to Top of Page

LitlleBit
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Roxanne
Pleasant Hill Missouri
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  3:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow this has been an interesting Topic! When I saw fermenting I was thinking alcohol was going to be discussed. Sounds like fermenting is a great way to save those vegetables that would otherwise go bad when you have "lost" them in the back of the fridge.

I want to try my hand at fermenting now too. Maybe Sauerkraut and Pear Cider Vinegar (Husband is allergic to apples, we avoid those and I have found that pears make a great substitute).
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2017 :  3:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I am looking forward to hearing about your first try Roxanne as I am a newbie too and I am going to try sauerkraut and yogurt this weekend, along with my second year of Turkey and Tofu Jerky.

Jana

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  12:32:57 PM  Show Profile
We've got a 3 gallons of kombucha, 5 gallons of carrots, and we are going to make a batch of sauerkraut and keifer! I've been delaying starting a sourdough starter because I've been busy working and it tends to get neglected.

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  12:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Roxanne I made a persimmon pear vinegar that turned out to be a delicate vinegar.

Jana let us know how the sauerkraut & yogurt turns out.

Ally are they in 3 & 5 gal containers are in several smaller ones. You ferment on a much larger scale than I do. Looking forward to learning from you.

Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  1:33:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes and no, we have the carrots in 2 and 3 gal crocks, and then we have kombucha in our other 3 gal. I think this year we are going to save up and purchase a five gallon crock so we can make either more sauerkraut or more kombucha because we go through those really fast! We all consume multiple servings a day and our two youngest kids love it! Our teen would rather not eat any of it, but we kinda make him eat it anyway! And when my mom was staying with us, we would go through it all lightning fast! (she's the one that gifted us the 3 gal crock, which we love!) When we started, we just fermented in 1/2 gal jars, but it can get really addicting to collect crocks!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  11:20:36 AM  Show Profile
I find this topic so interesting too. But help! Does fermented veggies have a taste like dill/kosher pickles? More tart? I am not a fan of carbonated fizzy things, so that is why I am asking. I do like sauerkraut though. Never did fermenting myself, but sounds like something I would be interested in doing if I like the overall taste of things.

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's Fermenting at Your House? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page