Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Genetic testing Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  7:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else done genetic testing? I did 23 and me to see if we could figure out any of my long term chronic illness issues. It turns out my parents blessed me with double mutations. Not their fault because they had to get it from their parents or down the line somewhere. Very interesting and I found out lots of information. There is a guy in Pa. that decodes the raw genetic data and has been helping identify some of my issues as a result of my genes. Hoping that managing these mutations will help my health.

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2016 :  4:59:55 PM  Show Profile
I am careful about information such as this. A possibility exists for an insurance company to deny coverage on an aliment a person already knows they have. Pre-existing conditions are covered now however may not be in the future. Personally, I don't want to know at this time. For those who want to know, I admire the courage it takes to have this information revealed.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2016 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Genetic testing could be used against a person, but I am more interested in stopping/managing the mutations. My dad, myself, mom, sister, and brother all have severe health issues. I am doing it to save my kids and grandkids the grief we have medically been through. My geneticist tells me that genetics will be heavily involved in future medicine. Genetics can't be changed, but can be managed. For instance, they now know the genetic mutation that makes a person have a tendency to Lyme Disease if bitten. I also found out my immediate family all have celiac. This information allows us to eat a diet that reduces chance of digestive cancers. We also carry many other problematic health related genes. Now I can get genetic counseling and maybe manage my illness and lead a more normal life. Because a lot of the natural practitioners are not in network (pay out of pocket) with mainstream medicine I am not too concerned about what they will cover. Sadly, I was tested at Mayo Clinic for two weeks and they found virtually nothing. I go to natural practitioners and have found a huge amount of conditions. Mainstream medicine is light years behind some of the cutting edge alternative, functional practitioners. I would probably not be alive if I would not have started down the natural path a couple of years ago. That said, I am grateful for mainstream for broken bones, heart attacks, etc. There is a place for both.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2016 :  07:56:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I know. How sad that medicine has become such a rigid science (I say while waiting to see my doctor). I have found that many regular doctors are suggesting natural treatments as alternatives and for that I am grateful. As I said, my medical decision not to seek genetic counseling is a personal decision. I am so glad that you are getting the answers you need to live a good life.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2016 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Marie, genetic testing isn't for everyone, but in our family's case it may be the preventive needed to keep my kids and grandkids from becoming chronically ill in their 40s-50s. This seems to be a trend in my family. Crazy because we are all were/try to be very active in our community and try to make a difference in the world. Sick or not, we are called to do the best we can. Actually, am going to talk to the geneticist tomorrow (suppose to have had it this past Thurs. but he double booked so he requested we talk tomorrow, nice and honest man) and see if we can do a family study and see what is creating such havoc with our family. I know there are groups that do family genetic and prevention management.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Genetic testing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page