YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  06:49:29 AM  Show Profile
Last week I cut back my lemon grass to 1" it was looking pretty raggedy because of the heat. It has now grown back 9". Soon I will have plenty to use fresh and dry for the winter.

Need to move my grandmother's purple irises from backyard to front yard.

Plant MJF garlic.

Put two lantana hanging baskets in the ground. Over the last couple of years I have bought two lantana hanging baskets to hang on Shepard's hook on east side of house. In the fall I put them in the ground. In a couple of years lantanas will fill the bed.

General weeding and tiding up to get ready to put gardens to bed for the winter. I like the months when my gardens sleep and I wile away the cold evenings dreaming and planning for the coming year.

That's what I will be doing. What's on your Fall Garden Chores List?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  08:47:48 AM  Show Profile
What do you use the lemon grass for?

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile
I use it in Asian rice dishes. I have a recipe for Thai pickles and lemon grass is used in them. The pickles turned out really good. I also add it to veggies when I want a hint of lemon. Have used it in fermenting veggies. It can be used to tie herbs together when sprigs are used in any dish. I cook mostly with fresh lemon grass and leave it in big enough pieces that it's easy to fish out.

I have dried lemon rinds for lemon pepper. To up the lemon flavor I will add whole dried lemon grass to the jar. Should make for a pretty jar. I will dry a few blades to use in the winter but I prefer fresh.

Not only is it tasty it makes a beautiful grass either in the ground or in a container. Mine is in a container. Here in Texas it does not winter over so I plant a new one every year. The local fruit/veg stand carries 4" plants in the spring.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our garden is about done, now that September is coming to an end. Now, it's watch for overnight freezing temps while the tomatoes ripen.
Picked the last of my "Royal Burgundy" beans. A few peppers to keep an eye on, as well as tomatoes. My tomatoes did NOT do as well as usual this summer and it's disappointing. Will leave the potatoes and leeks in the ground for a little while longer. Probably dig the parsnips eventually as there aren't many. There are a lot of carrots and we usually leave them in the ground and dig as we need them.
MAYBE, a little fall spinach, kale and chard . . maybe!
Our irrigation water will be shut off the 15th of October so there will be no watering after that.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Sep 22 2016 10:12:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:27:53 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay I didn't grow tomatoes but my three sisters did. One in the northeast Dallas area and two near me. Tomato yields were down this summer and the ones that did make didn't have a good flavor. Everyone was talking about it being a bad year for tomatoes.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sara,
I think it's because we had a cool spring that went right into blazing hot in June and July. Then August was cooler with more rain than usual and the nights got pretty darned cool. Crazy weather!
I have some ripening now but nothing like we're used to!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. I have a LOT Of lemon basil and I harvested some of that to dry and will make it into powder for winter use. Also have chocolate mint and oregano that I plan to do the same with.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  11:01:32 AM  Show Profile
I love chocolate mint. I dry it for chocolate mint sugar - great in coffee and in or on cookies.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  4:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
A gopher got one . . . or maybe two . . of my parsnips! Dang it! Gonna dig them tomorrow as I don't have very many and do NOT want to share with gophers!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  07:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Mine has been tilled for about 3 weeks just did not have enough to worry about. I had 20 tomato plants did not pick 1 tomato very small and no taste.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  07:59:06 AM  Show Profile
We generally have good luck with tomatoes here. This year they ripened late and the cherry tomato variety (Sungold) that usually does amazingly was just so-so. The best tomatoes we have had all season have been growing from some volunteers! We had a comfort compost bed in the garden last year, where we threw kitchen scraps and any produce that we didn't pick in time -- all that stuff. Then last fall we put on a layer of soil and it got tilled in this spring. Partway through the season, we noticed there were some VERY vigorous tomato plants starting to scrawl all over the garden - through the squashes and around the beans -- tumbling and cascading all over everything! This was a vine that couldn't be stopped and it has produced absolute clusters of bright red smallish tomatoes that are as sweet as can be. I think it is the parent plant of some random tomato that ended up in the compost last year -- unhybridized and back to its natural beginnings. Whatever it is -- it has produced the BEST fruit we've had all summer and it's still going strong. Just goes to show -- sometimes it's best to leave Mom Nature up to her own devices!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Boy, Marilyn, those tomatoes sound wonderful . . . and interesting how they grew! I love the Sungold (yellow) cherry tomatoes as well as a really yummy red cherry. Last year they did wonderful, this year not so much. Pretty disappointing!
What we've gotten are really tasty however!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  09:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, I dug SIX parsnips . . . have lost about four to the gophers. As my hubby says, if we were counting on this crop to get us through the winter . . . well, very disappointing. But we'll try again next year.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree CJ. We don't live too far away and the weather has been way weird. My garden didn't do as good as I was hoping for. My tomatoes have already finished and didn't grow like they should have. My bush beans are done and my lettuce has been done for awhile. I have a few more peppers growing and a couple carrots and onions left to pick. I don't have very many garden chores left.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  2:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like no matter where we live this year was not a good year in our gardens.

I sorta did a fall garden chore today but it was more of a test. For some time now I have been wondering if garlic planted in outside containers would winter over and sprout in the spring. Today I had a chance to try it. I made potato & leek soup that called for garlic. The whole bulb was nothing but teensy cloves. I peeled enough for the soup but as I was about to throw it away - didn't want to mess with it again I decided to plant it in my containers of rosemary and chives. Come spring I'll know if garlic will winter over in containers. I sure hope so it would be nice to have garlic growing at the back door.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2016 :  06:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Planted garlic this morning.

Bed ready to move six irises. Will have to decide what to do with the others if sisters don't want them.

May ready beds to transplant two lantanas from hanging baskets. Since rain is out of the forecast I have the rest of the week to work on lantanas.

Do you know your first frost date? It's time to get plants/bulbs in the ground so they are settled in by threat of frost. My first frost date is Nov 13 - seems a little early this year - hope that doesn't mean a harsh winter.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2016 :  04:45:09 AM  Show Profile
Hay there,

Mz Sara, are you looking for sisters to take your iris or your garlic. I believe I still have some Cajun garlic in a bed out by the turn-around but I forgot to check on it this summer. My iris didn't bloom much this year because the chickens scratched in the beds year before last. While raking leaves last fall I found quite a few tubers and replanted them but the blooms where few.....maybe they will survive the winter this year and come back next summer. I am not able to free range my chickens anymore due to coyotes and eagles and hawks......the flowers will be better off for it tho.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2016 :  06:18:29 AM  Show Profile
My garden has slugs. I first noticed them on the pole beans chewing on leaves and mature beans. I then found one on a chewed on tomato. Just today I saw one in the hollow of a green onion I had picked a couple days ago. Time to get me a beer and trap the suckers.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2016 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
Daizy I sent you an e-mail.

Marie slugs are icky. I hate dealing with them. My chickens wouldn't even eat them.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2016 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile
somehow I posted twice

Edited by - YellowRose on Oct 03 2016 06:43:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  09:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, we had freeze and ice night before last and another frost last night. I have been covering my tomatoes but the tippy top leaves still got zapped a bit. Leeks, carrots and kale are okay. I had picked all my peppers . . . good thing as they plants are "toast".
Will keep going with what remains of tomatoes as long as possible, but it's soon to be over! And our irrigation water will be shut off on Oct. 15th
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  10:56:40 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay, y'all get freeze & frost a lot earlier than we do.

I dug rest of the irises and will send them to Daizy hopefully early part of next week.

Still working on planting lantanas.

This isn't really a fall garden chore but I need to fill the holes Annie has dug all over the backyard. Hope she outgrows her need to dig.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  6:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Sara,
I have purple iris in my flower bed from my grandma too! She loved irises. I can't say they're my favorite flower, but I always think of her when I see them so they're special :) My garden didn't do well either, but I planted some herbs in some pots and they did well. I too have lemongrass (and lemon balm & lemon verbanae). I dry mine and use it for tea. It's good on it's own or mixed with spearmint (which I've also got in a pot). Where do you get chocolate mint? I have peppermint, spearmint, pineapple mint, and orange mint in a pot but I've never seen chocolate mint. It sounds wonderful!!! I cut all my parsley and dried it today. I plan to do all the mints and lemons tomorrow and if all goes well the oregano Friday. Then I believe I'm done. Sad to think about, but it is October.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  8:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Heather,
I got my chocolate mint from the local nursery/greenhouse. It's just like any other perennial herb and it grows well in my herb garden. Have had it for years. Speaking of which, I still need to cut some and dry it.
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  05:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Heather like CeeJay I got mine at local fruit/veg stand that carries plants. I have also seen it offered by on-line nurseries.

Some mints will cross so I keep my mints as far away from each other as I can. Sometimes it's just several feet.

CeeJay I have added my lemon grass to pickles either to can or ferment. I make little bundles out of the green part of leeks to put fresh rosemary in for soups, roasting, etc. If the leek green isn't long enough to make ties I use lemon grass.

If left in 4 to 6" pieces and tied in bundles lemon grass is easy to fish out of any dish you may want a delicate lemon flavor. I also use it to add more lemon flavor like lemon chicken.

My lemon grass is now almost a foot high so there will be plenty to harvest for drying before frost.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2016 :  12:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I don't have lemon grass . . . hmmmm, will have to look into that. Have TONS of lemon basil. Just dried and ground some, probably will pick more and put straight into the freezer.

Just brought in some chocolate mint to dry . . . will grind it up too. And, probably put some fresh into the freezer as well.

Still have to do some oregano as well. Today I discovered that my newest oregano plant, which is planted along the deck by the house has had all of its branches broken off, about 2 inches from the ground and not a leaf of oregano to be found. Hubby thinks maybe a squirrel and we have an overpopulation of them . . > AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH! Fortunately I have lots of oregano in another location which I plant to pick and dry.
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 06 2016 12:28:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden Chores Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly