Page: of 3

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2016 :  11:26:06 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
The only potted plant I have outside still is a rosemary plant and I plan to bring it in for the winter. Rosemary does NOT survive our cold winters. All my other herbs do fine and come back every year.

Still have carrots and leeks in the garden and will leave them there as long as I can. Watching for freezing weather and then will dig the leeks. The carrots would be okay but I watch for gophers and deer to start munching on them and will dig them. Last year I left them in the garden, went out to dig some (under 2 feet of snow) and the gophers had gotten them all. I was so irritated!!!!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  06:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Hay there,

Mz Sara was so very generous. I received the iris and I have plans for a Farm Girl garden. That one will be anything and everything that has been gifted or purchased , etc. from my amazing farm girl sister friends. I have Saras Grandmas iris and garlic from a farm girl about 15 years ago.....long before I even knew about MJF. I will add to it as needed.

I lost most of my herbs due to the drought and my busy schedule. I hope to get dirt under my nails today with prepping one raised bed with leaves and soil and adding turnip, mustard, kale all mixed together and a small edge of lettuce. I have a package or two of sugar snap peas that might make it if I get them in the ground NOW.

I have lantana and a type of azalea that was a gift, can't remember the varity, that need to go in the new bed out by the turn around.

I have plants to de-bug and re-pot for bringing in the house. My nights have dropped into the low 40's so its time.......but I bet we will still get some more 90's before Christmas. I like to bring them in because it gives me a chance to rearrange the furniture. Couple of draw backs is the dust your discover when furniture is moved and the way the plants block out the light. Oh, the struggles....

I want to clean out the greenhouse for spring seeding but that can wait. I found a small hole in the roof so that will need fixing.

and ....the PRIVOT......always cutting back PRIVOT !!! That's one of my daily missions to do with my trusty hand clippers (always within hands reach).

Ok, its outside I go!! Ta Ta !!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  07:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, I like your idea of a FarmGirl Garden. So happy Grandma's irises found a good home. They are all out of the backyard now except the ones that grew up next to and through the chain-link fence. I don't think Annie can get to them there. The six I moved to the front yard are doing good and I hope they bloom next year. If not they will the next.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  08:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have several aspen trees in our yard, some in front and some in back. Well, their leaves have turned gold and fallen on the ground . . . it's rather odd to see them bare now. I miss them having their leaves. So glad our evergreen trees don't shed!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay my big oak is still green with a few brown leaves falling along with wee acorns. Leaves will be falling from now to after first of the year. I have 3-4 months of raking leaves. There are other big oaks on my end of the street so I get some of those leaves too. My oak doesn't shed all it's leaves so I have green leaves during ice storms which is bad for the tree because the limbs become heavy with ice covered leaves and break.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2016 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Hay there,

My black walnut trees are bombing the yard with huge nuts. I have to move all the vehicles to the turn around just to keep from denting them or breaking windows!!! Always something!! But its an awesome day out there.

A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  11:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Dug my leeks, trimmed and cleaned, then sliced in food processor, flash froze on cookie sheets and bagged for the freezer. Since they are best cooked I figured tossing some frozen pieces in food would work just fine!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2016 :  8:18:03 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

Great idea Mz CJ. I should plant some leeks next year and maybe some potatoes too. I found out that you can freeze potatoes !!

I got most of the outside plants repotted and moved into the house. It felt sooo good to play in the dirt!! Maybe get the rest inside by the weekend. I may have lost my plum trees to the drought but I will replant those. I need to rescue my blackberry bush and grape vine....the PRIVOT moved in !!! Grrrrr.

The black coyote visited yesterday. He was about 75 ft. from my desk behind the sliding glass door. He was right next to the Hen House!! I yanked that door open and started yelling and banging on the side of the house. Wish I had had my gun handy. Things are gonna change around here. I'm gonna roll out of bed and strap my holster on over my grannie gown......yep, hes a goner. That's just a little bit to BOLD for him to come that close.

I'm putting my leaves into my raised beds but, man, there is a lot of leaves!. Hope the drought hasn't damaged the trees here on the Poor House Ranch.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Just two shovelfuls of carrots dug, yielded 10 pounds of carrots! Grated some and put in the freezer to have for cake/muffins, etc. this winter. Made a carrot cake . . YUMMMMM!!! Have a big bag in the fridge to use.

STILL have a lot of carrots to dig! Plan to slice some and freeze for my hubby to use in his carrot soup this winter. He makes a very tasty bisque style carrot soup.

They smell and taste SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!

CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 29 2016 2:47:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Dug about 15 pounds of carrots yesterday. Gave some to some friends, some to a neighbor and had 5 lbs that I sliced in food processor and put in the freezer for my hubby's yummy carrot bisque soup this winter!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  10:49:54 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay you have been busy. I started raking and bagging the leaves on my deck this morning. Will tackle the backyard in the coming days. It's the bending over and scooping up the leaves that's hard on me.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  5:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I know exactly what you mean Mz Sara. I have a bad back but I also that extra tire around my middle so its tough. I'm planning on putting my leaves in my garden so I may just drag them to the garden instead of bagging. I have black walnut trees and cant use those leaves. I used to burn them but can't this year because this crappy drought. I will have to bag the walnut leaves I suppose.

It was a great day to be out in the yard. I will get more time tomorrow after my regular chores. Still working of flower beds for spring.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2016 :  6:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Raked the pine shats out of the front yard today. Put some of them in the chicken coop and some on the compost pile. Also trimmed the rose bushes and butterfly bush.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  06:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Emptied all the deck pots and hanging baskets yesterday. Rinsed and put in shed for winter. Pulled up all the tomato cages and got them stacked next to shed as well. Pulled out the last of the tomato plants and moved to compost pile. And got about half of the landscape fabric we used for garden walkways pulled up, metal pins saved and fabric rolled to store for next year.

It's a BIG garden so I didn't get all the way through yet!

Also pulled the hoses running from house all the way to garden out back and got them rolled and stored in shed. Went around gathering misc. garden tools that had been left out and got those in shed as well. Things are looking a lot more tidy!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Nov 07 2016 06:43:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2016 :  06:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Daizy, Nora, and Jaime, you girls sure have been busy. Yesterday I raked leaves around the side of deck where I pot plants. Had a large neat pile that I was only to bag after I rested. Annie had other plans for the pile. She belly dived into the midst of it and scooted around spreading the leaves. I'm learned my lesson I will rake only what I can bag.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  10:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Not a garden chore but an outdoor one - I wrapped outside water faucet today. I would rather be a little early than outside the night of a freeze in my gown-tail getting it done. Been there - done that and have learned my lesson.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2016 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Hay thee.

Thanks for the reminder Mz Sara. I use the horse hose every two days but never remember to wrap it down in the box. And I need to REwrap the one at the back of the house which is used for the other horses and the chickens. I just don't think about it....but I hate to replace pipes!!!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  10:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Dug even more carrots and sent them home with friends who came for supper on Saturday. Guess what we had for supper? Carrot soup, of course!
My hubby makes great bisque style carrot soup and added sautéed chicken slices to it, garnished with avocado slices . . SOOOOO GOOD!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  10:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. I had dried the last three poblano and the last four garden salsa peppers from our garden. Ground them up into chile pepper powder and WOWIE ZOWIE! Hace mucho calor! A teeny tiny bit will go a very long way and it is NOT for the non-chilehead!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2016 :  10:31:29 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay your carrot soup sounds yummy.

Planning on raking and bagging leaves this afternoon. Annie has been hiding all kinds of things in the leaves so I'm not sure what I will find.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  2:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I just finished pulling up the rest of my cool weather vegetables, with the exception of cabbage, carrots and kale. We chopped them up then spread them in the garden to compost in place. Last year when we did this, they re-seeded all on their own, so I am keeping my fingers crossed - that was just so cool! :) Anyhow, all we have left to do is cover the garden with straw for the winter, but I just have not been able to find the time. Crazy busy year. I hope that we can still get to it, but if we can't, I am pretty comfortable with the composting vegetables protecting the soil during winter. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  3:05:10 PM  Show Profile
I raked and bagged two bags of leaves today. Between now and the end of Jan I will sound like a broken record "I raked and bagged two bags of leaves" - two bags seems to be my limit for a day's work.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  3:26:15 PM  Show Profile
Sara, that's a lot of leaves! You GO girl! Be proud of each day's accomplishments, no matter however big or small they may seem! That's more than I can do right now! I think you're awesome! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2016 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sara, you go girl on your leaf raking! That is one thing I don't do . . . we have leaves but I just don't rake them.
Working on nasty weeds around our place as I can. It's WORK!!!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden Chores Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: