Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2016 :  8:29:39 PM  Show Profile
If you live east of the Rockies, you know how loathsome squash vine borers can be. A perfectly healthy zucchini plant can collapse dead in a day!

Where I live, they are AWFUL! This spring, I got quite a few lovely squash blossoms, 3 zucchini/squash per plant and then, they collapsed dead. Every single squash plant I grew this summer has met the same, tragic end.

After doing some research, it turns out that there are borer-resistant squashes! The Cucurbita Moschata family is resistant to this scourge.

Because I'm in a hot, humid climate, I found a variety native to the Everglades (a similar climate to mine), which was grown by the Seminole Indian tribe. I introduce you to the Seminole Pumpkin.

This squash has laughed at the powdery mildew that usually covers my squash and cucumbers, barely wilted in our heat (although stopped producing flowers until temps dropped below 90 degrees), and is beginning to grow fruit! Not a borer in sight! I have seen some eggs, but the plant is healthy (aside from some caterpillar nibbles).

This pumpkin actually provides 3 different vegetables! The blossoms (you can eat all the males, as long as you hand pollinate the females), the immature fruit (which tastes like a cross between a patty pan and traditional zucchini), and the ripe fruit, which can be stored in heat and humidity (unlike many winter squash varieties).

So there you have it! If you have a borer problem, look for varieties in the moschata family and definitely try the Seminole pumpkin for its many uses!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Ashley! I feel your pain! Squash bugs and squash vine borers are the worst! And we got absolutely no zucchini or yellow squash this year, either. BIG bummer

I just want to share with you also that my favorite pumpkin variety is also highly resistant to pests as well as to powdery mildew: Musquee de Provence! It's a lovely pumpkin that looks just like one that Cinderella would use for her carriage - I've read at some websites they can grow up to 55 lbs in size (No kidding! Mine are over 25 lbs. right now! Immense!), and is great for cooking and baking. It has a light melony accent to it's pumpkin flavor that we really enjoy, too! :) I bought my seeds from Baker Creek: http://www.rareseeds.com/search/?F_Keyword=musquee%20de%20provence I highly, highly recommend them!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  08:54:21 AM  Show Profile
Great! I've been wanting to try that one, but didn't know it was a resistant variety! I will definitely try that one this spring. Thanks for the tip!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2016 :  09:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Ashley - We have put away all our saved seeds for this year (although when I pick the pumpkins, I'll be saving more!), but if you would like me to send you some, remind me next spring and I'll send you a whole bunch, okay? I'd love to do that for you! I think you would really be pleased with them! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2016 :  12:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We have had squash bugs and they are HORRIBLE! I haven't planted any squash of any kind of pumpkins for the last 5-6 years because I didn't want to lose my crop to them again.
I MIGHT . . . and I say MIGHT . . . try one hill of zucchini next year to see what happens.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 09 2016 12:14:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  6:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Nini- I would love some! Thank you!

CeeJay- That sounds terrible! I totally understand! I almost gave up; the seminole pumpkin (and others in the family) are the only squash I'll grow ever again. The borers are the bigger problem here, but we do have some type of little bug that will chew on the immature blossoms, killing them before they open. Luckily, the temperatures are finally dropping, which should make then go dormant, but still be warm enough for the pumpkins. I think they're some sort of tropical bug.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  10:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! They will be yours, Ashley! We actually picked our Musquee de Provence today, as we're expecting a frost tonight. You wouldn't believe it! The largest one is over 17" wide and weighs 48.9 pounds! The next smaller one doesn't weigh much less. All in all we got three HUGE pumpkins and several pie-sized ones. That's a lotta pumpkin! Pies for everyone! LOL! They are still dark green, so it may take a while before they ripen, BUT when they do, I will save these seeds as well. Maybe I'll be able to send you some by Christmas! I will TRY!!! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Outsmarting Squash Vine Borers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page