Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 How to give probiotic bolus to calf
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to give probiotic bolus to calf Next Topic  

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile
We have 4 shorthorn bottle baby calves. All have been doing well on milk replacement and are starting well on grass. Last night one of the bull calves had a very messy behind. Lots of diarrhea. He is not dehydrated, and seems to have plenty of energy...walking and eating with the rest. So we are giving him electrolytes today and probiotics. The probiotics come in a bolus form. I tried putting the big pill as far back in his mouth as I could, like I would a cat or dog. But he just spits it out. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
White Settlement Cattle Co.
Weatherford, Texas

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  10:20:23 AM  Show Profile
There is a device that you put the pill in and sort of inject it into their throat.
Here is a link to one from Jeffers, but you can pick them up at any feed store.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/plastic-calf-balling-guns
Good luck!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  11:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Thank you!!!!! Laughing at myself a bit now...but I'm learning!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
W6 Farm
Poolville, Texas

:shorthorn cattle:honey bees:seasonal fruits and veggies
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  1:17:15 PM  Show Profile
No problem Eren!! It is still not a walk in the park (I have goats not cattle), but I usually try to stick it in the side and shove it back and release the pill.
They may gag for a second, but it gets it where it needs to be.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  2:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Eren, those HUGE pills can be problematic for a calf. I really clutzed out the first time I had to do it. Now I use a gel and everybody's a lot happier. I just stick it in the side of a calf's mouth, eject, and down it all goes:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9dda9953-1624-4432-bdde-ddf594dae761

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2016 :  5:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh heck yeah MJ! I try to use a gel whenever I can! The only time I have used that nasty contraption was for a sulfa pill.
Eren, I hope you find some quick solutions!!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How to give probiotic bolus to calf Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page