Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed Next Topic
Page: of 10

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile
My favorite garden thing to do this time of year through the first of the New Year is to plan my new garden.

Today I started by locating an on-line a source for Mexican oregano plants. The site is in my favorites and a note on Dec 31 in my MJF planner so I won't forget. When I get my 2017 planner I'll start a page for garden notes.

I need to make a list of herb plants I want to grow and whether they will be grown in containers or must be in the ground. I prefer containers.

What are your garden plans for 2017?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 22 2017 07:25:38 AM

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  5:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Every spring/summer I take a lot of pictures of my perennials and containers. At the end of the season I write a "lessons learned" list of my successes and failures. This helps me to select new perennials and annuals for the next year. I tend to forget my failures, so the pictures that I take in October show me what didn't look good for the entire season. I also plan to make up a list of seeds that I want to get of herbs & annuals that I want to grow for summer containers. I love going through gardening books & magazines through the winter to get a color fix and get some creative ideas for really my containers.

It's fun planning and dreaming all winter for the 2017 growing season!

Dawn in IL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  6:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Dawn I like your idea of taking pictures and learning from failures.

Each year for our Jubilee I plant the International Herb of the Year. So far I planted winter & summer savory and Tabasco Peppers. I plan on planting them again this year. May plant a different hot pepper.

2017 herb of the year is coriander/cilantro so I will be planting a couple of pots.

A little info on coriander/cilantro. Cilantro is the leaf and coriander is the seed. So if you let your cilantro plant go to seed you have coriander.

Since I started this thread my herb list has grown to five plants - by 2017 it will be a lot longer.

Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  6:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone dry their own herbs, if so how?

Jana
http://www.emhardt.com

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2016 :  11:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Jana, I dry my own herbs in several ways. In the dehydrator, by hanging, laying flat in a hanging basket, and under a screen on my kitchen table. Herbs need to be dry, out of direct sunlight, and have good ventilation to dry properly.

I have not tried it but some people dry their herbs in a basket hanging under a ceiling fan.

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2016 :  8:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara, Every year I grow a few herbs and a few different varieties of squash, tomatoes, red potatoes and sunflowers. This last summer I tried corn for the first time, but it didn't do very well. We had an odd summer as well, but will be trying again next year. Wish I had more room for a larger garden, one day! This year I think I want to expand my varieties of herbs. Will start planning a bit more after new years.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  04:02:45 AM  Show Profile
April you grow quite a variety of things. I grew a 4' square of Indian corn one year. Got enough ears to hang on my front door and put in a basket. Lasted years for fall decorating. If I had more sunlight I would like to grow the "Three Sisters" - corn, pumpkins, and pole beans.

Another herb I may try growing is Thai basil. I've grown other basils but not the Thai kind. I do have to watch myself when planning my gardens my want to gets ahead of my can do.

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  04:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Ooo!! Love this! Right now we are getting ready to plant ground cover; Winter Rye and Hairy Vetch. Also, garlic and multiplier onions. The biggest issue is gutting a space at the farm that won't grow 4 ft weeds in a week and bury the corn, potatoes, and such.

Jana- we mostly air dry, but have a dehydrator, as well.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232 FGOTM May 2016
<3 OUR FARM <3
https://www.facebook.com/WinklerDerBauernhof/
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  05:10:23 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, I don't have to fret over 4' weeds it's the ones that creep along the ground and have stickers on them that have evaded my gardens. How much land do you have under cultivation?

I too planted garlic probably a lot less than you. Twenty-one cloves of MJF garlic. If these do well I hope to plant more next fall.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  07:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Not too much serious planning going on yet, except I have purchased my seeds for next year. I was able to purchase 2017 seeds at my favorite local greenhouse/nursery that are from a company in Colorado. If I wait until spring they'll be sold out!

Hubby and I have talked about doing something different with tomato plants next year since they've not done so well the past two years. We don't really know why because we've always had great success with tomatoes. So we'll see.

In the meantime, I still have a lot of carrots in the garden and will dig some gradually, putting more in the freezer. Some grated and some sliced.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile
CeeJay do you rotate where you plant? I garden mostly in containers so the perennials either are repotted to larger pots when needed or top dressed in the spring.

I can't lift large bags of potting soil so I buy the 8#bag at Dollar General. It's the only place in town that carries the small bag. If they still have any left I will get it next time I go. I like to have it on hand when I am ready for it. Hate to wait until next year to start stocking up.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup, we do rotate every year where we plant what and we also alternate years in whether our rows go east/west or north/south. I know we aren't the only ones who've had issues with tomatoes, so I don't know what the problem is. All we can do is keep trying!!
We've also talked about a small hoop house so we could grow them in there, but don't know if that'll ever happen. Seems like we run out of money and energy long before our ideas come to fruition.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  1:37:06 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay I know what you mean. Money and energy are always running low around here. But there always seems to be enough of both to get me what I need and a little of what I want.

Go to Top of Page

tboatwright
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Tina
Gatesville Texas
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2016 :  7:29:17 PM  Show Profile
I always love garden planning after the crazy Christmas season. I am thinking about buying a MJF planner this year. I enjoyed last years calendar so much. We are currently building a hoop greenhouse for plants and for starting seeds. I've been wanting a larger greenhouse for years! I'm so excited. I hope I don't get too carried away with starting seeds#128521;Then I'll have to expand the garden#128079;#127995;

I started some ginger today. I've not grown it before so I'm interested to see how it will do.

Tina
Farmgirl Sisterhood #6289
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  04:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Hay there!

I think I will have to "make a date" and post it in my day planner. Like a real date with my easy chair and my catalogs. I am hopeful that the beds for the cutting flowers will be prepped and covered this winter so all I have to do is plant !! My chair is next to the fireplace and I keep the house cool so its my "spot" for sewing and planning and everything really.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  06:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Tina your hoop greenhouse sounds great. Ft Hood is near Gatesville so I have a general idea where you are. Are you planning on growing it as a greenhouse plant or eventually outdoors? I'm northeast of you along the Red River so it gets colder here with ice, but I'm interested in how you do growing ginger. Did you order the ginger or use grocery store ginger?

Daizy I always wanted a cutting bed but I never got around to doing it. Enjoy your "chair" time.

Edited by - YellowRose on Nov 01 2016 06:11:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  12:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Sara- Probably only an eighth acre at the house. We had more at the farm, but those pesky weeds took over. :( When we move there, it will be so much easier. I have 6 lbs of garlic to plant. :)

<3 OUR FARM <3

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Edited by - DandeeRose on Nov 01 2016 12:24:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  1:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, keep us up on how your garlic does.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  06:26:18 AM  Show Profile
The last week of the year is when I get serious about what plants I want to order for the coming year. This morning I have been looking at what Mountain Valley Nursery has to offer. Besides Mexican oregano which first bought me to their site they offer a wide selection of scented geraniums, basils, sages, and a miniature yellow rose with small rosehips. I can't order until after Jan 1 for spring shipping so I am studying, planning, and making my list.

To check out Mountain Valley Nursery go to https://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/herbsordermethod.htm
I haven't ordered from them but I do like their site.

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1494 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1494 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  10:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Ooo! I'll check that site out later. I did a seed inventory, as well as tried to figure out how much of what needed to be planted for my 100 Day Challenge! Man, I hope I can do it!

<3 OUR FARM <3

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, I remember the days I poured over seed catalogs making out my lists for the coming year. I no longer start from seed because I do not have the energy or patience to grow seedlings in the house. Plants are more costly, but since I only grow one pot of each plant I can budget it. Except this year I plan on growing 3 cilantro (Herb of the Year 2017)plants for coriander seeds.

My five year old sage didn't make it through the summer so I will have to replace it. The drought also took my spearmint, peppermint, and Cuban mint. The chocolate mint barely held on so I will have to wait and see if it comes back in the spring.

One thing I have learned about droughts is that the hot Texas wind can kill a plant as much as the lack of water. Also after a long hot summer city water starts to take a toll on the plants. Drought plagued plants also have a harder time surviving the winter.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  2:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Sara, what a nice post! We had 65 degree weather here in OH today, what the heck! I convinced hubby to go out and help me pull all of the weeds from the 3 big raised beds. We will cover with leaves and hopefully some good manure if we can find it. Then black plastic in Feb to kill the weed seeds (HOPEFULLY) before we start to plant in Apr/May.
Hubs gave me some Baker Creek seeds for Christmas. He is such a manly man, football, chop firewood type. I was just picturing him with the Baker Creek catalog poring over the varieties. Makes me smile.
Good luck to all!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  2:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, how wonderful to have someone help you pull weeds. I have some to pull but like raking leaves my heart just isn't in it.

I haven't heard of Bear Creek so I will check it out. I know you are proud to get the seeds. I remember you told me you start seeds on a long table in front of your large A-frame window.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  3:00:05 PM  Show Profile
Well the jokes on me - I went looking for Bear Creek and all I found was soup. It's Baker Creek like Lisa wrote - I just read it as Bear Creek. Must have been a senior power surge.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  3:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Sara, here is their website. http://www.rareseeds.com/
I love the website because I can read reviews, and the reviewers list their state, so I know if it will work in may area.
But the catalog!
If you can score a catalog GET ONE! The most beautiful color photos ever. THey run out quick.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2857 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2857 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2016 :  3:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Senior power surge! I just love you Sara!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page