Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed Next Topic
Page: of 10

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  10:39:26 PM  Show Profile
Nora, you have a good garden going. Good work.

I think our spring is done and now here comes the long hot summer. About this time of year I start thinking about the fall.

Some of my herbs are ready for first harvest. Will make herb butters, vinegars, and cooking oils. Dry the medicinal herbs for winter tea for colds.

My wee bay and banana trees are thriving. Fun to watch them grow. Both are on my deck so I can keep an eye on them.

Miniature yellow rose has two blooms and several buds.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  05:56:14 AM  Show Profile
I've got 6 tomato plants in big pots on our deck and 3 big pots I've planted a compact variety of pickling cucumbers in in the same place. I picked up some marigolds to put in each pot as well - will get those in this weekend. That is that for my "garden" this year! Starting a new job in a week and just couldn't commit to a big garden out back until I see how that goes!

Good news is that I still have enough canned green beans from last year to see us through to next year!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, congrats on the new job. Your cucumbers and tomatoes will be good in summer salads and pasta sauces.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  05:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara!

I picked up a couple 8 packs of marigolds at Meijer and put a few in each big planter. Hopefully they will help keep pests away. Still waiting on my cucumbers to sprout! But I can tell the tomato plants have already gotten taller - we've had a good amount of rain recently and nothing is so magical for growing a garden then THAT!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  06:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, Marigolds are edible. Both flowers and leaves can be used in teas & salads. Have a light citrus taste.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  11:40:28 AM  Show Profile
I have successfully handed stewardship of my garden over to another. The shaman of our building, Andrew, and his friend Jade have agreed to help it grow.

This is my garden currently. I could not tend it because I broke my arm. Closest to the camera are the raspberry bushes which had spread to the garden and which Andrew had pulled out. The garden irises are looking very regal and will have to be split. The green in the ground by the compost is a large patch of mustard greens which came back from last year. It tastes wonderful.

My beautiful irises.

The onions originally planted with a seed bomb and has come back every year for the past three years.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1503 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  5:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Looks great Marie!!

Here are some shots I got of mine last week....Well, I can't get them to upload right now.... :/

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232 FGOTM May 2016
<3 OUR FARM <3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.facebook.com/WinklerDerBauernhof/
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2017 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Getting a little regular rain. My garden is looking good right now. Noticed the zucchini were blooming really strongly this morning.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2017 :  5:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Planting season is finally here for us in Wyoming!!! I feel like I have plants coming out of my eye balls!!! Almost one hundred tomato plants are planted, and close to the same in peppers. Pumpkins, zucchini, radishes, tomatillos, watermelon, cantaloupe, onions, chives, oregano, basil, stevia, thyme, parsley, rosemary, catnip, marjoram, sage, eggplants, and 197 bush bean seeds planted as well. Still have quite a bit to plant, but we are getting there! Hoping it all grows!

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2017 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Our garden is flourishing except for the okra. Last year we had the same problem. They just will not grow. We are getting lots of beans, tomatoes, parsley, onion tops, and the tastiest carrots!!!
It is time to make a soup!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2017 :  11:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Good to hear your garden is producing, Marley

My herbs are doing good but the MJF garlic is having a hard go of it. It hasn't grown much since spring - too many dark days with little rain and now the heat of summer. I gave starts to two sisters - one 30 miles east of me and they are having the same results. Hopefully next year will be a better year for garlic.

The banana year is leafing out and doing good. I have it right by my kitchen door onto the deck so come winter I can shelter it. Hopefully it will survive the winter outside along with the bay tree which is also doing good.

It's always been a mystery to me how some years are good for one plant and bad for another. Like my banana tree and garlic. One is thriving and the other is very hanging on.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  6:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Picked my first mess of beans today - yummy.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile
I agree Sara. Last year I struggled with my zucchini and squash plants, but my green beans and peppers did amazing. So far this year is completely backwards. I already have a ton of zucchini and my squash are looking beautiful, while my bean plants and pepper plants are struggling. I'm hoping they turn around soon!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2017 :  11:49:51 AM  Show Profile
All my herbs are doing good in the heat but they sure do need the water except for the two rosemary which seems to love getting by on the occasional rain. The large rosemary is in a big pot and the small one is in the ground and it seems to be stunted. May move it in the fall.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2017 :  07:41:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, my tomatoes have NOT been doing well. :( Blossom rot city. Fertilized a couple different ways - no success. We tested soil and it needed lime. Put that down this weekend - hoping to save some of the crop but we'll see.

Cucumbers for pickles are doing great! Pulled the first 4 off last night! Several more just need another day or so and they'll be a good size to pick as well. Should be able to do a half gallon jar of pickles. Going to farmer's market today to get dill stalks and elephant garlic!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl68
True Blue Farmgirl

369 Posts

Katie
Bangor Pennsylvania
USA
369 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  06:10:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm very disappointed with my garden this year. My tomato plants have tomatoes but the plants themselves look terrible. Then I saw last night that there are the beginnings of squash bugs. I tried picking up and putting the chickens there to help solve the problem but they were interested, not yet anyway (maybe they're too small at this stage.) Last year we had spaghetti squash and butternut squash until early this month. We'll be lucky to get enough to last us the early winter this year. The cucumbers are coming along. The brassicas on the other hand are amazing. I wish I knew a way to store cabbage besides sauerkraut. I also grew Malibar spinach which took a while took take but even with the heat is producing incredibly.

Katie #7422
Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden.
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2017 :  5:17:59 PM  Show Profile
The lack of rain and sprained foot has taken a toll on my garden. The weeds have taken over and I'm having to water every evening. I have gotten some green beans in the freezer. I pulled my onions today and put them in the smokehouse to dry.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2017 :  07:40:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, fellow gardeners we have come full circle. When I started this thread it was all about planning our 2017 gardens; then we sowed, watered, and reaped; now it's time to start putting our gardens to bed.

I harvested the last of my sage to dry. It should winter over okay. My large container rosemary has died and I disposed of it this morning. I'll replace it in the spring. This will be the first winter in 15 years I haven't had fresh rosemary off it.

My Greek oregano also died and it will also be replaced in the spring. I did dry some so I will have it for winter cooking. I have a theory that since I had to water them the last month because of lack of rain city water did them in. The rosemary may have out lived it's time in a container. 15 years is a long time for a container plant.

By the first of Nov I hope to have all my gardens and containers ready for the winter. What are y'all doing to winterize your gardens?

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13567 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13567 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I sowed, watered, pulled weeds and all that, but the harvest was not so good, except for my beans, carrots and leeks. We've already had more than one freeze, so it's done.
Irrigation water was turned off on Monday, so I disconnected hoses and rolled them up for the winter. Kinda glad irrigation season is over. For us it's a BIG JOB, but I won't go into those details. The only problem with it being off is that it WAS the water supply for our cows. Now we have to move them back and forth to water every day.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2017 :  09:51:44 AM  Show Profile
We don't get a really obvious start to the winter here, which makes me complacent and I usually don't do a proper "put away" of my garden. It sure would make the spring easier if I did tho! I've made a new goal to always have food available in the garden year round, so at this time I am planting cabbages, carrots, beets, kale, lettuce, collards, Brussels sprouts and such. Meanwhile, still processing tomatoes, apples and pumpkins, harvesting walnuts, starting to pick kiwi and Fuyu persimmons, and shortly we will have lemons, mandarins and navel oranges.

CeeJay, I can't imagine the many ways life would be altered by seasonal irrigation water. Moving livestock to and from the water source? Wow. That's a big job! Its sounds kinda fun, but I'm sure it gets old quick!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  08:39:23 AM  Show Profile
As if to prove my point about our long season, its going to get to 89 here today, the 24th day of October! That's actually unseasonably warm.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6809 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6809 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  10:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Sara our Oct has been warm too but not that warm.

I planted 24 yellow tulip bulbs in a container to bloom next spring. I placed it next to the south side of my house and anchored a screen on top to keep the squirrels out - nasty little rodents.

Next on my garden to-do list is to cut back the lantanas and sow yellow 4'clocks. The 4'clock seeds came from my sisters garden where her 4'clocks have been re-seeding for years.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Our tomatoes are done. The rest of the garden will be done soon because we are having a hard freeze this week.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  09:43:07 AM  Show Profile
October and November are always a flurry of production here. Things like beans, peppers and tomatoes are relieved to have survived the long hot summer and now they start pumping out fruits as if to redeem themselves. I picked 8 large eggplant this week (they went to the food closet) and a pan full of large Italian peppers which I roasted and froze. Lots of bell peppers are set on and I'll have to watch the weather carefully to be sure to pick them if a frost is expected, otherwise I'll leave them to turn to the yellow and red they want to be. The pumpkin vines have dried up and I'll need to collect the 30+ small sugar pumpkins for winter baking. Yesterday I dug around and found some potatoes. At the start of September I scratched a quick trench in the soil and laid out a row of shriveled, sprouting fingerling potatoes I found in the bottom of the pantry. What might have been compost has instead multiplied into useful produce and with very little effort by me! I love that kind of garden!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2017 :  08:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Last night I finally did "put my garden to bed." Anticipating the 32 degrees we woke up to, I went out with a flashlight and a grocery bag and stripped all the bell peppers, eggplant and Italian peppers. The bells filled an entire bag to the top! Truthfully I'm glad to be done with that stage; my kitchen has been in disarray for over a month!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Plans 2017 - Now We Put Our Gardens to Bed Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page