Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Broadforks-Does anyone here use one in their garde
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Broadforks-Does anyone here use one in their garde Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  12:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I have been looking into buying a Broadfork and was wondering if anyone here uses one of these in your garden. If you do use one what kind do you use and what do you like or dislike about it?

I have been researching for many days and don't want to make a big mistake and buy the wrong one. This is kind of an expensive purchase and want to make it count.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Linda! Long time no talk! I actually have one, but hardly use it. It is a real workout, and it doesn't work too well in my raised beds because the soil isn't deep enough.
We are working on that though. We've been raking all sorts of leaves to put in them and compost over the winter, then will cover with the black plastic. Hopefully we won't start growing trees in there . LOL

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  06:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lisa you never told me what kind of broadfork you have. I know it will take some good old fashioned work but I am okay with that once my pelvis heals. I am hoping I will be better in April. Let me know when you get a chance.

I have been looking at Valley Oak and also the Meadow creature. They seem to be the best for hard soil. I have clay and rocks. I have been adding amendments to my garden for 23 years and its slowly getting better but would like to reach down deep and open it up better.I will keep researching.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2017 :  11:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Mine is a Bully Tools. I think I got it at Lehmans. Mom bought it for me for a birthday present a few years so it was most likely Lehmans.(she loves that place) I looked on their website and Amazon, and the one they have now is different. My fork part is all one big giant piece of steel, almost like cast iron. It is quite heavy. But is made in the USA.
Good luck. I wish I had more to tell you but I never use it that much, until we can get our raised beds supplemented.
Jim made a garden plan last night. He is SO organized. Here is a pic of his plans. I am hoping if he gets involved too that the garden will stand a better chance than in the past, when my work gets so crazy in the summer

Anyway, let me know what you decide. Talk soon.
Off to rake more leaves to put in the raised beds.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Broadforks-Does anyone here use one in their garde Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page